BACON rant

Options

Replies

• squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm glad you posted this rant!

one time, i was offered some sort of vegan "bacon" and i thought i may as well give it a try. if any of you are ever offered a similar product, just SAY NO. it was like eating dried up clay.

i don't mind turkey bacon, but i also didn't know it was more processed than piggie bacon. i also never compared their stats side-by-side, and i'm surprised to see that piggie bacon is somewhat healthier than turkey bacon.

never again will i make the wrong choice!!
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about bacon is the nitrites and preservatives, so I buy "uncured" bacon. It's divine.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There is this tiny little shop in Canterbury, Nh that an ex and I just happened upon (think dirt road, random building, no neighbors, may not make it out alive kind of place) called Fox Country Smokehouse. They the most delicious bacon, EVER!!!! They also have all kinds of other pork products, some duck, jerky, treats for the doggie like pigs hoofs.

bumping for this info, i'm in manch!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    And NO amount of driving is considered safe. Whatever you do, do not eat bacon while driving. It's dangerous out there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    And NO amount of driving is considered safe. Whatever you do, do not eat bacon while driving. It's dangerous out there.

Stupid cancer researchers!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

While talking on a cell phone :P
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

According to the MFP numbers:

Turkey 15 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat
    Pig 7.5 cholesterol per slice 1 sat fat

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

Not to break your bubble, but the OP made this thread to help people realise that yes you can eat bacon and have a healthy life style and your link goes on to prove that as well.

Quoting from your own link 'Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers.' so lets see, irregular consumption should be fine! The OP was exactly saying it have it everyone morning with your eggs! She was pointing out that you can still eat and lead a healthy life style.

Oh yippee, I love picking sentences out of articles to make a point. How about this one from the same link

"Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."
    just buy your own pork belly and make your own.

I don't like it enough to bother with that, but why do you assume that home smoking or curing would be healthier? Or do you mean eat it uncured?
    You can get your bacon uncured or at least no nitrites. I know why nitrates are bad but I'm not sure why the curing is necessarily bad. I'm not against processed food as long as its not done with toxic chemicals.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Coffee gives you cancer
    The sun gives you cancer
    Red M&Ms give you cancer
    The air in Los Angeles gives you cancer

We should all live in a protective bubble so as to protect ourselves from, um.....everything.

But I'm taking my bacon into my bubble with me :tongue:
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Right....
    Don't pork and drive :ohwell:
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    33dcmfk.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why the OP didn't include cholesterol and other fats in the comparison.

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.

Not to break your bubble, but the OP made this thread to help people realise that yes you can eat bacon and have a healthy life style and your link goes on to prove that as well.

Quoting from your own link 'Many researchers have concluded that regular consumption of processed meats may lead to higher risk for prostate cancer and several other cancers.' so lets see, irregular consumption should be fine! The OP was exactly saying it have it everyone morning with your eggs! She was pointing out that you can still eat and lead a healthy life style.

Oh yippee, I love picking sentences out of articles to make a point. How about this one from the same link

"Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research."

I don't like it enough to bother with that, but why do you assume that home smoking or curing would be healthier? Or do you mean eat it uncured?
    You can get your bacon uncured or at least no nitrites. I know why nitrates are bad but I'm not sure why the curing is necessarily bad.

I don't either and from what I've read even the experts aren't exactly sure why it's bad. But most agree that eating cured meats does raise the risk for cancer.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    33dcmfk.jpg

my pants are wet. that is all.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Buy Nitrate free bacon (sometimes sold as uncured bacon) and enjoy your two slice serving with out guilt! Even better if you bake it on a rack in the oven so most of the fat drains away.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.

You can get your bacon uncured or at least no nitrites. I know why nitrates are bad but I'm not sure why the curing is necessarily bad.

I don't either and from what I've read even the experts aren't exactly sure why it's bad. But most agree that eating cured meats does raise the risk for cancer.

Most of the common curing techniques use sodium nitrate. There are curing techniques that don't use sodium nitrate, so those are fine. Just make sure what ever you buy is nitrate free.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think bacon gets a bad rap because the raw calories are what's on the package, and they're ridiculously high. Bacon loses over 50% of its fat on the paper towel in the microwave.

I would advise buying nitrate-free bacon though whenever possible, just in case.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Hmmmmm....I'll take pig.

You assumed I was anti-bacon. Far from it. I love bacon.
    What the link and your quoting of it makes explicit on this thread, that wasn't hardly even implied, is

Bacon, beyond occasional consumption, can kill you in the long run.

Everything kills you in the long run. Not a single one of us is going to get out alive :laugh:
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    There are no bad foods, only bad eaters. With a little planning and foresight you can include pretty much any food you enjoy in your diet - just exercise a little restraint. (PS I :heart: bacon.....)

^^ This, exactly!
  • minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mmm....... Bacon is sooooo tasty.

I love it in salads or in a roll. For a real treat I love it with melted cheese & Tabasco on top.

Never heard of Turkey bacon before, just googled it & it is available in the U.K. Won't be trying that thanks!

Bacon is Best (0:
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Everything is better with bacon! Even on your body!!!

4b001359.jpg
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Buy Nitrate free bacon (sometimes sold as uncured bacon) and enjoy your two slice serving with out guilt! Even better if you bake it on a rack in the oven so most of the fat drains away.
    I like my bacon dripping with grease. My uncle would use the grease to make wilted lettuce.