Going on a first date...Do I tell about my weight loss??

Options
I am going on my first date since losing almost 70 pounds. Do I tell my date about my weightloss journey?
I am afraid if the conversation gets dull I might blurt out how much I weighed or stuff my face full of food out
of nervousness.

What would you do??

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'd just concentrate on being who you are now and learning about your date. If it feels right to bring it up, it feels right. If not, don't. Just let the conversation flow naturally.
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    Not unless it comes up. It is something to be proud of though :-)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    On the first date? no. Unless it comes up somehow.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nope!! not on the first date. If something comes up about it, then yeah. but if you just blurt out what you've lost, it'll look like you're fishing for a compliment.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, it is a great accomplishment and congrats but unless it comes up, don't bring it up! If there's more dates it will eventually come up! Good luck and have fun!
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, it really helps!!
    :drinker:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You already got all the advice you need... So I'll just say good luck! Hope it goes well.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You do eventually bring it up.... but not on the first date unless it comes up.
  • Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am going on my first date since losing almost 70 pounds. Do I tell my date about my weightloss journey?
    I am afraid if the conversation gets dull I might blurt out how much I weighed or stuff my face full of food out
    of nervousness.

What would you do??

Unless you are going on a date with someone you met on MFP, I would not bring it up on the first date.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My thoughts... If you are looking for someone to share this journey with you, or to not sabotage you, you might want to bring up how important a like minded person is to you.

No point in wasting time on a milk shake addict.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just have fun!!! That to me is a more serious subject and probably should not be a topic for first date. Fun fun fun.
    :)
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    When I'm on a first date I do mention how I'm really into healthy eating and exercise. But I don't actually mention my weightloss.

Try to relax and have fun. Remember, he's trying to impress you too!
  • rickgomez2003
    Options
    Not unless it comes up. It is something to be proud of though :-)

I agree fully.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    of nervousness.

What would you do??

Noooooooo, a guy you have only just met will NOT be at all interested in your weight loss...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    of nervousness.

What would you do??

Unless you are going on a date with someone you met on MFP, I would not bring it up on the first date.

wouldn't they already know?.....
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    of nervousness.

What would you do??

:laugh:
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Do what ever fells right for you. The "rules of dating" are hogwash. The only reason there are there is so that people have excuses to let them feel okay about what is happening.

Truth in dating is- if you like each other then you will call one another.

If the subject comes up cool then talk about it but if you feel it might be weird then avoid it.

Good luck.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Weight is a technicality - it's not who you are!! Personally, I would focus more on activities you do throughout your journey rather than the numbers. It will tell him what you're interested in and you may have more in common than you know!

I think weight is off limits for a first date. Just like past relationship ;) Most importantly HAVE FUN! That's what dating's about!

Cheers
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not unless it directly comes up. I don't even like talking about how much weight I've lost unless someone asks directly. Usually I just say I decided to get healthy. People feel less obligated to be impressed and compliment you.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's a first date. Absolutely not. If the whole "what do you like to do" conversation comes up....talk about what activities your interested in, talk about your healthy eating....if the conversation swings to being healthy, maybe then. But quite frankly, I wouldn't want to hear about someone's weight loss. If you can be casual about it...fine. But it doesn't need to be a big long discussion.