Sucker-punched by life, need eating solutions

Options
Hey my MFP family. :flowerforyou:

I just got some news that literally knocked the wind right out of me. My husband and I are living in one of my mother's rental houses (rent free until DH finds a job)! And she told me yesterday morning that he wasn't allowed to live there anymore, and he had 3 days to get out.

Its stressing me so badly that I just can't eat. I'm not a comfort eater, exactly the opposite. Any kind of food makes me nauseous, even looking at it or smelling it. I only ate 400 cals yesterday (I just forgot to eat, because of the shock). And I'm so afraid of sending my body into starvation mode.

Anyone have any ideas about what I might be able to get down? Crackers came right back up this morning, along with all the water I drank. GRRRRRR. I'm so frustrated - I generally eat so well!! :explode:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    WOW.

I believe that would qualify as a "sucker punch".

You didn't ask for advice on talking to Mom, so I won't touch that.

This past summer, I went through a rough patch (to say the least) and wasn't able to eat for a week. Same kinda physical feelings are you describing. I bought high cal protein bars and nibbled on them throughout the day. "Nibble", btw = forcefed myself a tiny bite here and there, worried that more than a small morsel would make me puke. I ate 3 a day, getting in about 600-900 cals. I dropped almost 10lbs in a week, I believe. I was worried it would turn into an eating disorder (I know my addictive personality), so I started making myself eat after a week's time.... allowing time for my emotions to settle and my body to come back to order. Once I began eating again, I gained back at least 7 of those 10 lbs. Continuing to eat right after that, my body went back to "normal" and I started losing weight again, in a HEALTHY approved way.

Cut yourself some slack. Drink as much water as humanly possible. Make a goal of eating calorie dense, somewhat nutritional food (like a protein bar). If you can manage a nibble every 15 minutes, then you are doing well. Give your emotions time to settle down a bit and keep focused on eating again later....

Wishing you well, sweetheart!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear this, just know I have you in my prayers! Can you force down any tea, maybe some ensure for nutrients? :flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with not being able to eat when I'm extremely upset and stressed (though I am actually a comfort eater during less stressful situations). "Starvation mode" isn't something that happens in just a few days. Eat what you can and try to make the calories you are able to get in really high *quality* (crackers aren't). You'll get through this. :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! :smooched:

When I go out to the store today I will pick up some protein bars and something ensure-like. I'm not going to let stress ruin my life - there is a solution to everything. Until my body decides it wants food again, I will try to force-nibble nutrients into it. :angry: