Morning Workout Question

Options
Hello All! I have always been an evening work out person. However, my schedule leaves little room to work out lately and ive made every excuse because I get so tired by the time Im free. I do have time to work out in the morning before work (and this gives me some time on days im not so tired to do a double work out yay!)

I need a good meal plan for eating before and after. Do you eat protein (eggs) before or after a work out. What about a shake? Im really lost and I dont think I want to work out empty so I was thinking something small before and after. Just not sure what it should be.

Also if I do get two work outs in would you do weights in the am or pm?

Thanks!

Replies

• jumatwins
    Options
    I get up at 4h45am to workout and I don't eat anything before. It works for me, but maybe some people need to eat something before - but then again, I guess you would have to wait at least 30 min before starting to exercise...
    Try and see what works best for you?
    I workout, shower and get prepared for work, then I eat my breakfast.
    Working out first thing in the morning is the best!! It's over and done with after!
    You can just enjoy the rest of the day without stressing about how you will get that workout to fit on your schedule...

Enjoy!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really like the morning workouts ( up at 4:30 am), it's a great start to your day, its done and you have a more relaxed evening. For me the trick is making sure I get to bed by 10 pm or it's really hard to get up the next day. Everybody is different, you have to try and see what works for you but for me I only have liquids first thing before I work out. I then eat about 30 minutes once I have finished. But having said that the last thing I have before bed is a protein shake so its not like I have no energy in the morning, I am actually ready to go.

Good Luck
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Well for example both Wednesday and today I was up at 315a to be at the gym by 4 to swim for an hour. Got ready for work, and now I really do not need to stress on how to get my work out in. I am finding I actually prefer getting up early and getting it done.
  • Docjoque
    Options
    Hi,

It really depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose weight, tone up, or gain muscle? You will probably want to gage your intake based on your goals....as well as what type of workouts you're doing (though there are those that will debate this).

Generally speaking, you shouldn't train on an empty stomach, ever, for whatever your goals. You should have a higher carb meal before your wo, and a higher protein (even sugar) after your wo. Shakes comes in all varieties, and you can get a higher carb one to drink before your wo, and/or a higher protein one for after your wo. Shakes are easy to put in a thermos so you can ingest them right after your wo (gen. you will want to have nutrition intake within 60 mins of your wo. But once again, this is all tweaked depending on your goals.

Weigh ins don't really matter, as long as you do them at the same time of each day.

Mike
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 AM to run, so I don't typically eat anything. I grab some water, take a quick bathroom break, and I'm out the door. When I get back I sit in front of my fan to cool down and eat a greek yogurt before hopping in the shower. I don't think I could eat before going...too much on my stomach!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I plan starting next week (moving) to start getting up earlier
    And doing some morning stretching maybe doing Blogpilates.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wow, y'all kill me. I used to think I did well to be at the gym by 6.

As for eating before or after- I do liquids before and a small protein snack after. So, a shake before usually-not a huge one mind. About a half of a typical breakfast shake. THen I'll have the other half after and a small snack of fruit or nuts with it afterward. That's if I'm working out real early, like 6. If I wait until 9 to workout, then I just eat normally at 7:30 and go with it.
  • t1dude
    t1dude Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the early morning, I usually don't eat before. I try to eat something fairly substantial the night before. If I workout in the evening, I try not to eat about 2 hrs before. As far as eating after, my understanding is that eating as soon after exercise as possible helps utilize the food for recovery.
  • JoeGa
    JoeGa Posts: 25
    Options
    I like a coffee with cream and sugar before hand, seems to get me awake and gives me just a few carbs to help with the wo....then shower and breakfast afterward before heading to work....
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    I get up between 4:30 and 5 to work out. I don't eat anything before becuase I get a better workout if I don't. I have a quick cup of water and head out the door for a run/walk or other activity.

But if I had to have something before - I'd probably go with a protein shake or an egg. It would keep me filled up during and then a bit after the workout so I can get ready for work. I don't feel satisfied after a fruit or veggie in the morning often, so I think that's what I'd do.

I always have hard eggs in the fridge and of course milk for a shake if I want it - so they would both be quick options for me. For after, I usually have toast and peanut butter, an egg or some fruit. After I workout I find it takes me a few hours to get hungry - so I still keep that small and then eat a good lunch. But I never skip the after workout "snack" Lately it's been a banana.

I would do weights in the PM...but I don't like them as much as my cardio - and I know I'm gonna get my morning workout in.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    are you saying morning workouts are better if u trying to lose weight?
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat the night before to fuel my 7am workouts... I eat 75%+ of my carbs in the evening if I'm working out the next morning;

Then coffee before I leave for the gym.

Post workout a protein shake with plenty of carbs... then something to eat (mostly protein) a hour afterwards.

If you are going to workout twice a day them weights am and cardio pm.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I hope to start this weekend to get use the the new routine.