Scottish Ex-fatboy

Options
Greetings!

I'm a 5'11 ex over 100kg fat guy, dropped down to 76kg at my lightest (via MMA training and eating clean). I'm now back up to just under 90kg through weightlifting and bulking, with a fair bit of unclean eating too.

Looking to get leaner/lighter to around 77-80kg again. New to MFP but not new to logging (used fitday for years, but switche due to lack of mobile app).

I now at a reasonable diet, mostly clean with the odd bending of the rules. My goal is to keep my average over a week pretty good.

Excersize-wise I'm doing Insanity, weight lifting, running and MMA (Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Muay Thai and Boxing) training. Sounds like a lot I know, but I don't do it all at once and I take plenty of rest in between.

I'm employed as a computer security geek, but my background is in Biology, I have lots of nutrition knowledge, even though I may not follow it to the letter.

Happy to talk nutrition with anyone interested and discuss diaries.

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Hi. :)

:smooched:
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in those topics and we are similar size - although I'm still pretty much a fat guy. I'm 5'11" and was up to 227 pounds (102kg) at my heaviest. Am currently 211 and shooting for 180 which is around 80 kg. I do circuit training with mixed resistance and cardio 3-4 times a week and recently completed my first 5k run. Am training for 2 more 5k runs this Fall and then a 5 mile trail run with significant elevation gain in March.

Nutrution-wise my biggest fail is beer.

Feel free to add me. I'm not very good at the online friend thing but I'm trying.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Well then, welcome to MFP. I love the mobile app MFP has for the iPhone, I use it everyday. It seems like you are just looking to trim and cut a bit, that is a great place to be! It looks like you have lots of variety in your work out plan so you shouldn't get bored there, another plus!

I am an IT person as well though a bit more general. It is difficult to work much exercise into my work hours so I have to devote a fair bit of my free time to working out or at least just getting out and moving. I'm actually going to an event this weekend called the VA Scottish Games. Nothing like watching a bunch of trained athletes toss cabers and sheaves. :) And there will be plenty of walking involved with the event as an added plus.

Feel free to friend me, I can always use more input on nutrition. It seems like you have all the right tools and you are ready to get to work. So, best of luck in your endeavors and I hope you find the environment here supportive, inviting, and inspiring
  • zeedo_odeez
    Options

So when I dropped 30kg, I reckon 10kg was upping excersize, 10kg was eating clean and 10kg was cutting out the beer.

I travelled a lot so being stuck in a hotel with the lads meant it was all about the beer. I took a look back and realised I'd been drinking 4 or more pints 6+ days a week for as long as I could remember. I actually thought for a moment that I might be close to alcoholism.

So at wake up call time I decided I'm going to drop all alcohol for as long as I can manage. I went six straight months (and dropped all the weight) before I thought yeah I'm cool to drink again.

Now I have a good alcohol plan. I never plan to go drinking and I never automatically drink when everyone else is.

I also only drink the best of the best, so it's so expensive that:
    A: You don't want to drink too much because of cost
    B: You savor it and drink slower
    C: You don't open the expensive bottle of whisky because it's "special2 and you don't buy more in because you have some.
    D: You still look cool, but not because your tolerance is high, but because your standards are. The topic of bar talk changes.

Become an alcohol snob, I promise it's awesome!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Love your plan for the booze.

If ever there was an application for quality over quantity, alcohol is perfect.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I've been working with a nutritionist eating on menu plans for the last 7 months. Add me if you want to chat about food choices or just want support.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hi. :)
    :smooched:
    That's Pen saying she wants to be friends. :wink:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

So when I dropped 30kg, I reckon 10kg was upping excersize, 10kg was eating clean and 10kg was cutting out the beer.

I travelled a lot so being stuck in a hotel with the lads meant it was all about the beer. I took a look back and realised I'd been drinking 4 or more pints 6+ days a week for as long as I could remember. I actually thought for a moment that I might be close to alcoholism.

So at wake up call time I decided I'm going to drop all alcohol for as long as I can manage. I went six straight months (and dropped all the weight) before I thought yeah I'm cool to drink again.

Now I have a good alcohol plan. I never plan to go drinking and I never automatically drink when everyone else is.

I also only drink the best of the best, so it's so expensive that:
    A: You don't want to drink too much because of cost
    B: You savor it and drink slower
    C: You don't open the expensive bottle of whisky because it's "special2 and you don't buy more in because you have some.
    D: You still look cool, but not because your tolerance is high, but because your standards are. The topic of bar talk changes.

Become an alcohol snob, I promise it's awesome!

Congrats on the weight loss and the decision to control the drinking. I defintely like the idea of the best if the best. There is so much unpalatable swill out there, I don't know why anyone would ever drink more than one. Top shelf scotch, wine, and the occasional lime margarita is all I ever want. If those are not options, it's a waste of calories. :-)