Depression

Options
2»

Replies

• cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was clinically depressed for 9 years, and seriously getting more exercise has worked better than anything else I've tried. Of course, the nature of depression is you do not have enough energy and motivation to exercise, also you crave the kinds of foods that keep you feeling lethargic. Once I started eating better, I started having more energy. So I started small, went for a walk a few times a week, then everyday, then I started going to the gym more often. Everyday is a small victory, I originally could only do 7 minutes on the elliptical, then at one point I went twice a day for 15 minutes so I could add up to a full 30. Now I honestly miss it if I don't do at least 40 minutes of cardio (preferably everyday but usually 5-6 times a week.) Somedays it's hard, but the idea of going back to the way I felt is so much worse of a prospect so it gives me the strength to go, after I do I feel much better.

Everyone's journey/situation is unique, this is just what has worked for me (so far).

My problem seems to be just the opposite. Zero appetite and I have to force myself to stop exercising.

I am glad to have started this discussion though. It does help to know that others are going through the same thing, even if it's not any of the people you deal with IRL everyday. You begin to think it really is just you.

It was a good idea for you to stop if you were unable to eat, I am not sure what would help, have you tried drinking fruit filled protein shakes? Are you at least drinking a lot of water and taking supplements?
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I heard from a doctor friend, a psychiatrist that believes in nutritional support before meds, that 100mg of vitamin B6, taken daily, will help. It works slowly, because it's not a pharmaceutical; takes about 3 months to see full change. He also says that In Washington, every should take D supplements, 6-9 months of the year, because we're so far north; even if we get sun exposure, the angle of the sun prevents proper amounts of vitamin D absorption. He recommends blood tests to accurately determine your individual needs.

I take:
    B6 (100 mg),
    Vit D (1000mg) October-June,
    (and prescription for depression)

Insositol (3000mg a day) and B-Complex helped me, before I tried that I was on Welbutrin but it made me so much worse than not taking anything. I have stopped taking it recently and only take a multivitamin now.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with it since I was a teenager and I've been medicated for it off and on for years (currently, off).

Making sure to get enough healthy fats seems to make a big difference; I discovered this by accident. In particular for me, coconut oil and flaxseed oil. I have no science links or studies to share, so make of that what you will.

I've had issues with insomnia and restless sleep since I was a little child so I now almost always take melatonin at night to ensure a sound sleep and that also makes a huge difference.

And B vitamins have made a difference for me too, as many other posters have suggested.

If it's situational depression or loneliness or something like that, just remember 'this too shall pass." Sometimes the hardest thing when you're low is to remember what it felt like to not be. :flowerforyou:
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice!
  • Jbearbarnes
    Options
    I've struggled with it since I was a teenager and I've been medicated for it off and on for years (currently, off).

Making sure to get enough healthy fats seems to make a big difference; I discovered this by accident. In particular for me, coconut oil and flaxseed oil. I have no science links or studies to share, so make of that what you will.

I've had issues with insomnia and restless sleep since I was a little child so I now almost always take melatonin at night to ensure a sound sleep and that also makes a huge difference.

And B vitamins have made a difference for me too, as many other posters have suggested.

If it's situational depression or loneliness or something like that, just remember 'this too shall pass." Sometimes the hardest thing when you're low is to remember what it felt like to not be. :flowerforyou:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    A couple of other recommendations that I don't see mentioned:

- supplementing omega 3's
    - a food allergy or intolerance can also cause severe depression. Gluten, dairy, etc. can have a huge effect on mood.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    First know your depression "tells". A lot of people don't. Mine is that when depressed I want to eat, sleep and shop. Not in any particular order, but that's all I want to do, just those three things. Since my surgery I can't eat or I will go backwards and after losing 120 pounds I can't go backwards! Shopping is also out, my husbande recently lost his job, so it's just my income right now. So I induldge in the one and only thing I can do, I sleep more. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I'm not doing anything destructive. It works for me. The depression will pass, so I just wait it our in dreamland.
  • Jbearbarnes
    Options

REGARDING FLAXSEED OIL:
    I read of a study where 10 adults were not helped by medications. Their cases were so severe they couldn't hardly leave their homes. They took Flaxseed oil: 1 tablespoon per 100lbs of body weight, in divided doses (half in AM, Half in PM).

In time (can't remember how long) ALL 10 were 90% better! So if a person weighs 100lbs, they would take 1/2 Tbsp morning and night. To avoid intestinal upset (diarrhea, etc.), work up to this amount slowly!

Possible physical signs of need for flax oil: Brittle nails that grow slowly, dry skin, dandruff; most common with northern European descendants (fair-skinned folks).
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If your depression is situational, which from you profile sounds like it may be:
    Exercise, lose the excess weight, make healthy food choices. If the depression has you in its grips and you can't motivate yourself to exercise, hire a personal trainer.

If your depression is chemical, get on the right meds, and still do the above.

Seek a medical professional. At the very least, a therapist to help work through your issues.

I've successfully overcome situational depression my making healthy choices, losing weight, and exercising. Weight truly interferes with joy.

Hang in there. You are not alone.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Yes I agree that exercise is a major key in avoiding depression, along with avoiding alcohol as much as possible, and certainly avoiding a massive binge.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have depression, but I've felt pretty low at times due to life circumstances.

What's helped me through the tough times:
    -Stay on a very regular eating schedule
    -Get out of bed right away in the morning, and stay up until I'm tired. If I lay in bed without sleeping, depressive thoughts come in
    -Exercise exercise exercise. If I don't have time for it, I find a way.
    -Counseling
    -Keeping friends I can talk to close
    -My faith. Knowing God loves me and has a plan for my life.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    David, I posted earlier in your thread, but I just read the rest of the replies. People are so generous with help. I really love this place for that.

You mentioned that you have no one to talk to, and I can really relate to that. I have no living family anymore and my "friends" are not that close anymore. I had to let go of a couple of close friends that were really bringing me down with their constant talk about their (self-inflicted) problems.

Something that has helped me a lot has been writing. I have a journal on the computer where I write down everything that bothers me. I did a lot of research on cognitive disorders and started writing. I learned the most important thing about my life. I have the power to heal myself.

I had gone to "therapy" in the past, but I didn't have a lot of faith in them. Your mileage may vary, but I just felt that they could never know me the way I do. The journal let me be myself - 100%. And with time, I learned to solve my issues.

I don't know, just one more piece to my particular puzzle.

Also, two teenage daughters is tough for anyone. In your case, being a single Dad, it is probably tough to see them grow up and away from you. Just know they love you, and will be there for you.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another - sleeping too much can also cause depression. Try to sleep on a regular schedule and don't change by more than half an hour or so even on the weekend.