Low-Impact Routines?

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
I once tried 30DS and LOVED it but after a week I had horrible pain in my shins- not "oh I'm sore" pain but stabbing "did-I-tear-something" pain. I took a break and it took over a week before the pain went away. I had bought high-quality shoes, tried doing the exercises on a mat, etc. but nothing helped.

I REALLY want to start another 30-day type of cardio-strength routine but I'm hoping I can find something that's intense but not filled with too much jumping because that seems to be what kills me. I'm also hoping to find something that exists on YouTube (like the Jillian Michaels routines).

Any suggestions?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, they don't involve a DVD player or TV but the ultimate low impact routines would include walking and biking and, if you had access to a machine, rowing (which is probably one of the best full body workouts around)
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do plan to start going to my little local gym again and I can do the stationary bike/elliptical/swimming there, and I do walk every day. But I'm hoping to find an intense workout, something challenging, that I can do at home. I'm not stuck on the idea of it being a video but videos come to mind because I have to keep up with the routine- I can't slow down and cheat myself out of a hardcore workout.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com) has some great low-impact, high intensity routines.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser has a decent collection of lower impact DVDs. I have horrible ankle issues, so when I started working out I started with them. Best of luck!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the recommendations! Very much appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's....easy to follow and low impact!
  • peggylicious
    peggylicious Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last time I tried 30DS, I just brought down the impact of the jumping sections, for example instead of jumping jacks I'd do side steps, or a grapevine or similar. I would have thought that as long as you keep moving and keep your heart rate up you will get some if not the full benefit of the program
    (Disclaimer - I'm no expert and didn't complete 30 days, but my shins didn't hurt!!)
  • Moxie42
    Options
    That's a good point! I think I was so disappointed in not being able to do it (after seeing soooo many people who had) I just considered it a failure. But you're absolutely right- modifying the routine isn't going to make it pointless- moving is moving and it's still a really great workout!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    That's a good point! I think I was so disappointed in not being able to do it (after seeing soooo many people who had) I just considered it a failure. But you're absolutely right- modifying the routine isn't going to make it pointless- moving is moving and it's still a really great workout!

^^^^I so agree with this too! When I first got JM30DS I was doing it almost everyday (which Jillian later said that was not the intent). Anywho like so many others I was getting knee problems. Now I'll do it every once in awhile because I truly enjoy the workout. And I still feel like I'm getting something out of the program!!
  • Moxie42
    Options

^^^^I so agree with this too! When I first got JM30DS I was doing it almost everyday (which Jillian later said that was not the intent). Anywho like so many others I was getting knee problems. Now I'll do it every once in awhile because I truly enjoy the workout. And I still feel like I'm getting something out of the program!!

Good to know! I totally thought the intention was to do it every day and maybe a person in great shape can, but I definitely think I went too hard too fast. I think I'll give it another shot but be a little less hardcore about it. I signed up for that fitnesblender.com site too- looks like a great resource!