I'm back-anyone use sparkpeople?

Options
After being here for four years, I jumped ship over to sparkpeople for the last month or so. Not because I didn't like MFP, but I was seriously lacking motivation to continue and I thought maybe a new plan/website might help with my desire to try.

It did, I have been doing very well with my eating and exercise, but the scale or measurements are not reflecting it. Overall I've only lost 2 pounds....the past two weeks I've done very well, I've even exceeded my exercise goal both weeks, and both weeks I GAINED half a pound.

I know it could be water weight, or building muscle or whatever....but when I lost 50 pounds a few years ago the beginning wasn't this hard. The first 20 pounds practically fell off, I was consistently losing 1-2 pounds per week. But now I'll lose a pound, then gain half a pound, then lose 2 pounds and gain a pound. I know the scale isn't everything but at this early stage, a few pounds can't really be felt or seen so I need to see results on the scale or measuring tape and at sparkpeople I just wasn't.

So I think I'll "come home" and see if my weightloss does any better back here.

Replies

• llama726
    llama726 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. A few years ago, I dropped about 50-60 pounds and I remember it being way easier than this time around has been, but I think we romanticize the past. At the beginning of this, I only lost a couple pounds in the first week or two, then had about seven drop off the next week. "Stay the course!"
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also, the more weight you lose, the harder it becomes to lose weight, simply because there's less extra there. A pound or two a week for the first 50 is great, and after that, as long as you're still trending downward, you're on the right track. Plus, if you're doing strength training, you're building muscle at the same time you're losing fat, so the weight loss will seem to stall.

Are you losing inches? Rings fitting better? Check your butt, is it perkier than it was? How many more flights of stairs can you climb now than you could before? The scale is a useful tool, but it's just one tool of many.

You can do this.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Also, the more weight you lose, the harder it becomes to lose weight, simply because there's less extra there. A pound or two a week for the first 50 is great, and after that, as long as you're still trending downward, you're on the right track. Plus, if you're doing strength training, you're building muscle at the same time you're losing fat, so the weight loss will seem to stall.

Are you losing inches? Rings fitting better? Check your butt, is it perkier than it was? How many more flights of stairs can you climb now than you could before? The scale is a useful tool, but it's just one tool of many.

You can do this.

The 50 pounds I lost was a couple of years ago, I have since gained it back plus about 10, so I am starting from the beginning here. It just seems like at this early in the game it should be way easier to lose, especially considering how poor I had been eating and how little exercise I was getting in the last year. I would think the changes I've made would kick weightloss into overdrive. I'll keep at it, it's just really disheartening to do so well all week and see a gain! I do feel better though, but no results in measurements yet.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've used spark people in the past, till a friend told me about MFP, I find MFP a lot more user friendly. Even though I'm not doing great, because I like my alcholic beverages, I have managed to lose a few pounds since I joined
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm a former SparkPeople user as well. It was ok, but I like MFP's tools better. MFP just seems more customizable and user friendly.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just signed up today and DO NOT LIKE IT AT ALL!! It's confusing and weird.
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    Welcome back to MFP. I love this site and it has really helped me. I am down 31 pds since July of this year. That is more than I could have done on my own. Feel free to add me a friend for mutual support and motivation.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i used sparkpeople for like two days.
    i didnt like it and it was boring!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    i used sparkpeople for like two days.
    i didnt like it and it was boring!!!

^ What she said. I was there for a week and just was not for me.