HRMs - You get what you pay for!

Options
I got a $7 HRM from ebay. It said I burned 24 calories during 25 minutes of 30 Day Shred Level 3 yesterday...

...I burn more than that taking my morning poop. Bit the bullet and ordered a Polar FT4.

Replies

• Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have an FT4... I :heart: it! Ive used it 6 days a week for 7 months and its NEVER failed me.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Great to hear! I have no clue what I'm burning other than MFP's lovely estimations so I'm excited to get it.
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you will not regret it, I am betting that after 2 weeks use you will wonder how you ever mangaed without it...
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 also and love it, it also syncs with the ellipticals and treadmills at my gym so thats an added bonus. Did you get the port to download to your computer? I've not invested in that yet but I figure I might splurge and get it if I get a good holiday bonus this year.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    you will not regret it, I am betting that after 2 weeks use you will wonder how you ever mangaed without it...

^^^^ this EXACTLY. I will drive home if I get to the gym and dont have it. Its kinda sad actually!

The burns in the database are all wrong, seriously! lol
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    Oh wait... It did fail me once. I tried using it while swimming (triathlon training) and it didnt work! haha!

I freaked out, but by the time I was in my car, it was acting normal again :laugh: Just dont try to wear it swimming!
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I thought it was water proof?

I did have one issue with it, with the battery, because it is waterproof (or supposed to be....) I had to take it in to get the battery replaced because there is a wax seal that also has to be replaced when you change the battery. You can get the change kit, but, I just took it into a shop to have it done.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Oh wait... It did fail me once. I tried using it while swimming (triathlon training) and it didnt work! haha!

I freaked out, but by the time I was in my car, it was acting normal again :laugh: Just dont try to wear it swimming!

This is why I recommend the FT40 as opposed to the FT4. It is waterproof to 30 feet. The FT40 also has a fitness test built in that gauges your fitness levels and readjusts your optimal heart rate range for you depending on your fitness.

FT40 is not much more then the FT4 and I think is very worth it.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

This is why I recommend the FT40 as opposed to the FT4. It is waterproof to 30 feet. The FT40 also has a fitness test built in that gauges your fitness levels and readjusts your optimal heart rate range for you depending on your fitness.

FT40 is not much more then the FT4 and I think is very worth it.

I dont remember seeing this one when I bought mine. If Its only like 20 bucks more then, yes! BUY IT! The FT4 is not competely water proof- obviously :wink: And the fitness gauge option is pretty sweet sounding!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options

OMG THANK YOU! I am literally on my way to the pool and was going to try out the FT4 while swimming. I am so glad I saw this!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yup, I bought one of those cheap Timex HRMs initially. It would show 600 calories burned for a 2 mile walk. Got rid of that fast for an FT60, which shows roughly half for the same exact walk.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yup, I bought one of those cheap Timex HRMs initially. It would show 600 calories burned for a 2 mile walk. Got rid of that fast for an FT60, which shows roughly half for the same exact walk.

Timex was the original one I bought too. I was on a deployment and it was all they had. It said I burned ridiculous amounts of calories, so I finally broke down recently (as in yesterday) and bought the FT7. I was going to buy the FT40F, but the only real difference between the FT7 and the FT40F was the fitness test (which I don't need)....and the FT7 was $30 cheaper...
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It normally works while swimming but this last time it keps saying check transmitter. blah! so I had to use MFP's calcs for that swim. Then I boycotted it for a few days. It never failed me before so Im hoping thats a fluke and it will work again not only on my swim, but my other workouts too.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    LOL I have the Polar FT4.