working out in the am before breakfast

wallerinaprincess
wallerinaprincess Posts: 96
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have heard a few people say that if you work out in the morning before breakfast, you are burning more stored fat, because you're not burning the calories you just ate if you ate breakfast. When I say work out, I mostly mean cardio, and not too high of intensity, for example, and elliptical machine. Any one know for sure?

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    There might be some truth to it, but I think the difference is negligable.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    I've heard the same thing as you.. But another interesting article I was reading in Fitness Magazine that people who work out in the morning are more likely to work out and keep working out, therefore, being in better shape and health. People who tend to work out in the afternoon are more likely to cut back on their work outs or skip work outs.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    In my opinion I don't think its good to work out without eating anything, You need at least a light snack to start up your metabolism and to help you with your workout. It is good to workout in the morning because you get into a good routine of getting up, I usually have half of a banana and a handful of cereal, and then I eat when I get home. I think that whenever you will workout is the best time, if you can't do it in the morning thats ok just do it when you can, everyone is different :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    I have heard/read it is supposed to be better for you...but I agree with Leash...just do it any time that you can, and whatever feels the best for you...just make sure you make time
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    I found opposing articles on the subject. This one is most recent
    http://www.limelife.com/blog-entry/Morning-Workouts-Burn-More-Calories/25551.html

This one is from several years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/diet.fitness/9907/14/workout.times/index.html

I think since the first article was published in Nov. of this year it is more likely to be accurate... says early morning workouts DO burn more calories than night workouts.... but suggests a midday workout may be just as effective. And probably due to the fact that in the morning you are more likely to push yourself through a workout routine that at the end of the day when you are exhausted. For me, if I don't do one in the am, I probably won't fit it into my day, so this is good news for me :wink:
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    i do 50/50, 3 days week i go to a 515am boot camp class in which i dont eat anything prior. the rest of the days i eat egg whites scrambled with laughing cow, hot sauce and a pita prior to a 745am boot camp. i guess i am getting the best of both worlds. i always drink a small protein shake immediately after my workouts (i have consistently heard that this is beneficial to building muscle).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    First of all, the idea that working out on an empty stomach "burns more fat" is nonsense. You cannot manipulate the fuel substrate the body uses for exercise unless you manipulate the intensity--and even then it is pointless because the fuel substrate utilized during exercise has almost no effect on stored body fat.

You need carbohydrates to exercise and you need them to burn fat. Your body will get them from somewhere--most likely, even on an empty stomach, you have enough stored glycogen to get going. If you did get to the point where you were 'burning fat" only, you would have a really, really, really ****ty workout. You don't see it as much anymore because training and inter-race feeding techniques are so much better, but think of what a marathoner looks like when they "hit the wall"--the shuffling gait, the glassy-eyed stare, the mental disorientation, the sharp and significant decrease in performance--essentially the zombie death march---THAT'S what a real "fat burning workout" looks like. Have good day......

In terms of whether a workout at different times of day has more "calorie burning" effect, or "afterburn", there are so many other variables at work, the "research" is realistically useless as an individual guideline.

Many people are stiffer or just generally slower in the morning, so they don't work out as hard; there are significant behavioral issues, work concerns, lifestyle schedules, etc, etc, etc.

Choose the time of day that works best for you and makes you more likely to remain compliant with your program. The benefits of consistency far, far outweigh any hypothetical "benefits" that might pertain to any particular time of day.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    As far as article accuracy. The first link is a blog, the second link is an actual article posted at a reputable news source written by an MD. I'll take my chances with the second.

I agree with what has been posted earlier. It doesn't matter when, just the fact that you do...
  • dcomi
    dcomi Posts: 2 Member
    I work out mostly in the AM. I make sure I'm hydrated and my first moves (lifting, running or biking) is slow and light. When your 55 a little stretch and warm-up is necessary.

The lifting experts say to have a little caffeine, carbs an hour before. That means I'd have to wake up at 3:30AM. Also some protein after (whey, etc).

If I waited until after work, I would want to take a nap, go shop, go to school, everything but work out.

I'm a morning person so it works for me.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    First of all, the idea that working out on an empty stomach "burns more fat" is nonsense. You cannot manipulate the fuel substrate the body uses for exercise unless you manipulate the intensity--and even then it is pointless because the fuel substrate utilized during exercise has almost no effect on stored body fat.

You need carbohydrates to exercise and you need them to burn fat. Your body will get them from somewhere--most likely, even on an empty stomach, you have enough stored glycogen to get going. If you did get to the point where you were 'burning fat" only, you would have a really, really, really ****ty workout. You don't see it as much anymore because training and inter-race feeding techniques are so much better, but think of what a marathoner looks like when they "hit the wall"--the shuffling gait, the glassy-eyed stare, the mental disorientation, the sharp and significant decrease in performance--essentially the zombie death march---THAT'S what a real "fat burning workout" looks like. Have good day......

In terms of whether a workout at different times of day has more "calorie burning" effect, or "afterburn", there are so many other variables at work, the "research" is realistically useless as an individual guideline.

Many people are stiffer or just generally slower in the morning, so they don't work out as hard; there are significant behavioral issues, work concerns, lifestyle schedules, etc, etc, etc.

Choose the time of day that works best for you and makes you more likely to remain compliant with your program. The benefits of consistency far, far outweigh any hypothetical "benefits" that might pertain to any particular time of day.

I agree with Azdak on both accounts. He covered it very well. I personally do not like fasted state training of any kind.:noway:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    (double post edit)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Yep, right there with Adzak on this one. I did a lot of studying up on this about a year or so ago, all the conclusions were pretty much, even if there is a difference, it's so minor that it's non-existent.

Those same studies also concluded that, in the long term, when you work out is most important to your attitude about working out. If you FEEL like working out in the morning is better for you, then you'll be more inclined to stick to it, likewise, if working out at night is your thing, well that's ok too. Assuming you have enough energy not to pass out, it really makes very little difference when you do it physiologically speaking.
This discussion has been closed.