Protein intake and labels

2»

Replies

• Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    When I'm hungry I can normally eat 3 oz of meat and be fine.

ditto
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a label that says "high protein" or "good source of protein" or "protein bar" on a sports bar or cereal box, or some other packaged food or recipe that someone has created, and when I look at the nutrition label it has, maybe 8 or 10 grams of protein. Let me stop you right there....that is not a "high protein" item. Maybe from the perspective of other products the manufacturer might produce it is high, but for your daily intake of protein, eating only 10g here and there is not going to cut it if your goal is to eat enough protein.

This drives me crazy, especially since all the bars that have those whopping eight grams of protein tend to have 15-20g of sugar. I'm trying to figure out how to make my own, but I'm not there yet. (Yes I've found recipes, no none of them are exactly what I'm looking for.)

It explains a lot, though. I mean, in the 70's, Snickers were advertised basically as meal replacement bars, and I know tons of people who still think of them that way. If the easiest information to get is advertising, is it any surprise people in this country eat the way they do?