Springfield XD compact vs. Smith & Wesson M&P .40

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
Im going to be getting my CCP in a few weeks and was considering one of these two weapons to be my primary. Anyone care to try and persuade me one way or another?

Preferably owners who have fired these weapons not just S&W fanboys or the like.

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Hey...who your calling a fan boy! Damn right I love my M&P :smile:

Although the XD looks nice also.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting to find a one of the new M&P Shields. No one around here can get any in so I am gonna wait.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i have the xd subcompact. its the size of a dollar and fits perfectly in my little fat hand.
    i would like to try the SW though.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a S&W 9mm and shoot it weekly. It is a nice shooting gun.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have an XDm 9 Compact and it's a great gun. That's my vote. I'd recommend going to a range and shooting both to see which you like better.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the Springfield XD sub-compact in .40. I love it! Super easy to conceal plus easy to shoot for someone who has small hands. I also liked the S&W M&P but the grip is larger, which for me made it hard to control because my grip was off. But I think either way, you can't go wrong with either of them. I personally have a crush on the Beretta PX4 Storms, I may have to get one if I ever find a good price.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Love my S&W M&P .40c. Not sure if you're looking at the compact or if you thinking a full size M&P, but I love my compact. It was my primary for a long time but now I carry the M&P Shield as my everyday. I still carry the 40c from time to time and still love it.

Not really a fan of the XD personally. Don't like the way it looks or the way it feels in my hand. Also, I'm not a huge fan of all those safeties. To each their own I guess.

Not sure if you're even considering the Glock, but my wife loves her Glock 26 sub-compact. I'm thinking of picking up one myself.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also carry the .40 cal Springfield XD sub-compact. Very nice and dependable. Small, but a little chunky. I shoot much better with the extended magazine/grip because it fits my hand better. It does make it just a little harder to conceal with the extended mag, but that's the way I carry. There are always trade-offs. I would prefer a weapon with a single stack magazine to keep things slimmer and easier to conceal, but I don't want to give up capacity or go to a smaller caliber.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Hey...who your calling a fan boy! Damn right I love my M&P :smile:

Although the XD looks nice also.

I wasn't singling S&W out Ray. I just didn't want someone coming in and saying ya get the S&W cause they are only a S&W fan. My Favorite Revolver is my S&W .357 686-4 model
  • RyanJS81
    RyanJS81 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a XD9 Sub-Compact and XD40 Sub-Compact... Love them both.
  • Onmynewadventure
    Options
    Take which ever one you are most comfortable shooting with. I have a Sig Sauer P239 .9mm. That is my carry weapon as well, fits very well into my hand
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I have been waiting to find a one of the new M&P Shields. No one around here can get any in so I am gonna wait.

I hadn't even looked at the shield. It looks nice Ill have to add it to my short list.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Between those two I'd go M&P no question. I've shot both. Don't care for the trigger on the XD and it just doesn't feel as well made.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It comes to personal preference. Both are pretty reliable the rest is your comfort level with the grip, trigger action (although a good gunsmith can change that), etc. If at all possible your best best is to rent or borrow both from your friends to try them before you buy them.

I wouldn't persuade you either way as I rather enjoy my Kimber Super Carry. :D
  • jeolds
    Options

gunbroker.com
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have an M&P ar15 but I love my sig p229 40.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

gunbroker.com

I really want to see one in person and handle it before I make a decision. : ) Currently carrying a KelTec PF9 and have been really happy with it. Some have issues with them but mine has been very reliable.
  • jeolds
    Options

gunbroker.com

I really want to see one in person and handle it before I make a decision. : ) Currently carrying a KelTec PF9 and have been really happy with it. Some have issues with them but mine has been very reliable.

There might be one advertised on there local to you. Also, check the forums. We have one in state that people post them for sale on or just tell people they are looking and get feedback.
  • Onmynewadventure
    Options
    I have an M&P ar15 but I love my sig p229 40.

I think you just made me jealous over you gun!!!!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a Springfield XD(M) .40, but for sub-compact, I'd go with the baby Glock .40....there's a lengthy comparison video on youtube I saw, and would opt for the Glock.