Options

Replies

• trevors_memaw
    Options
    i really have no ideas, but i sure wish u the very best
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yea. Because having 5 kids was mandatory.

Mmk.

Aww that was so sweet!
    Because somehow how big of a family you have somehow determines what type of person you are eh?

yea whats the big deal? o.O
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot?

Easy to make ahead meals in those! :)
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Here's my take on this....

Get Dad to help out. Divide and conquer. I don't have 5 kids - I have 2, but I also don't' have a husband any more(so glad), I work two jobs and I just find the time.

I get up at 4AM twice a week to workout early and I go to the gym late evenings the other days. Saturday and Sunday are long workout days. What do you do when you kids are at dance? Both of mine dance as well... on team, so they are there a lot. I go to the gym during dance time. Why hang out with the other moms griping about this or that when you can come dressed to walk or run around the block OR head to the gym.

It comes down to prioritizing and not making excuses. With 5 kids I'm sure you have some that are older. My 10 year old cooked us chicken the other night while I did dishes and my 13 year old worked on a science project. Enlist the help of the kids and your husband and just DO IT.

Stop the excuses and start living a healthy life.

JACKSONPT and CLIFF (my dear..) -- you men ROCK! :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I didn't read all the responses - so I'm sorry if I repeat something. First of all, it is hard. I have three kids and work full time. However, I found that keeping me healthy kept my family happier and healthier. Mommy is a nasty crab when she feels bad about herself! You have to invest in yourself in order to give so much.

As for meals, can you pull out the ol' crock pot? That way everyone can eat at their own time, but there's a hot healthy meal waiting at home. I picked up a Fix and Forget It Light cookbook last year, you can visit pinterest or even the food section of mfp for ideas.

What about when you do have time to cook, making enough for two casseroles and putting one in the freezer? If I have time on the weekends, I try to do this so I have something that just needs to be thrown in the oven. That being said, they sometimes take a while to cook...maybe try burritos or something on that order that can be warmed up individually and the kids can eat on the way to/from practice. Do the kids like picnics? We've been known to have a picnic before or after one of the kids' games or practices - and you can make pbjs with the light bread, apples, yogurt, cheese...a pretty healthy meal compared to fast food.

As for working out - I get up incredibly early to workout. I'm up by 5 to get to the gym. It's the only time I feel like I'm not missing out on my family and can focus on me. And I figure maybe my brain will still think I'm in bed and won't complain as much! I would highly suggest something that keeps you accountable, though. I joined a bootcamp group and they will check in with me if I miss a day. I also realized how much I love Zumba and became certifiied to teach it. Having a class every week keeps me accountable to working out and learning new songs.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    how do busy moms find the time to workout? Seriously...between running all the kids (5) to sports, dance, cheer, homework, IEP meetings (2 of my boys have ASD), doctors appointments, throw in a full time job, part time business, and then household duties...I literally don't have time in the day. Also, I struggle with having time to prepare meals...practices are always hitting at dinner times, so it's too easy to go to a drive thru. What are some ideas out there with these obstacles??

This sounds like my life but i have 4 kids and 1 boy an IEP issue for ODD. But n n e case. I was doing really well. The morning are my time and there isn't n e thing or n e one that was going to get in my way and until recently...I only have myself to blame. I've just been so burned out. I have been at it strong since February this year and these past couple weeks...i've been slacking off. Having those moments when I'm just laid out and think..I could be doing some sort of exercise right now...Like I drove up to multiple forks in the road and I don't know which way to go...i'm working on that currently...trying to find my motivation again. I'm no where near the amount I want to lose...so then what is it? Life. I get up at 5...more like 6:00 lately. It was like it didn't matter how early i got up I woke up everyday energized/pumped to get the 2 kids still with a sitter up and out and then run to the gym (nice nd free) at work get a 55 min or so workout and go to work...But lately...just tired. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but it's the reality..If you want it...find that time and make it happen. Otherwise it will never work or happen. I hope to find that umph again soon and I know I will because I want it, so if you can get it in FIRST thing in the morning even if it means waking up at 4 am something I used to do also..then do it..it's worth it! Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    you just gotta make it fit I guess. I dont have kids, but I am a college student, girlfriend, puppy mom, and I work 30 hours a week. Everyone has their own challenges in life and things that get in the way.

i didnt read the responses, but heres what my two cents are:

A common suggestion especially pertaining to dinner and meals in general is having a day (maybe sunday) where you just COOK. make casseroles, pre-chop for dinners, portion out snacks, pack lunches, plan meals, etc. Whatever works for your family and schedule. On practice days, you will already have a casserole that you throw in the oven until hot, or a meal where everything is chopped and prepared and ready to cook so it doesnt take as long. Yeah, it will take up a considerable amount of weekend time, but it might really help. Someone else suggested the crock pot, same idea.

For working out, you could just get up earlier. If you are like me, and cant wake up earlier for anything, fitting it in somewhere during the day will be harder but if it is truly a priority you can find a way. Maybe while you child is at practice (lets say football) Take a walk for a while around the practice feilds, or whatever. Even just walking is good excersise. Or if you get a lunch break at work for about an hour, take a walk around or hit the gym then if it is possible. I have done this before and just eaten my lunch at my desk (that I packed) and gone to the gym for like 40 minutes with room for traveling.

I wish you luck. It is really hard to find time and motivation to be healthy especially with so much on your plate, so to speak.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    how do busy moms find the time to workout? Seriously...between running all the kids (5) to sports, dance, cheer, homework, IEP meetings (2 of my boys have ASD), doctors appointments, throw in a full time job, part time business, and then household duties...I literally don't have time in the day. Also, I struggle with having time to prepare meals...practices are always hitting at dinner times, so it's too easy to go to a drive thru. What are some ideas out there with these obstacles??

Get up 30 minutes earlier and get a workout in. That is what I do.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

My life got a lot easier last year when my oldest got her drivers license. My husband travels a lot and is gone 3-5 days a week, having a second driver with a car around really made a difference in my after work schedule. There are still times when I'm running kids all over the place and fast food happens. It is possible to eat with in your calorie limits while getting drive-thru food. McDonald's actually has all their calorie information on all their packaging now, at least here they do. Most fast food places have a salad option, and if you skip the dressing that is super low calorie, usually. I always look up what I'm going to eat on my phone app. before I order it just so I don't have any surprises.

I have more to say, but kids just walked in so I'll be back later.
  • Virgo75
    Virgo75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my husband works more than 60 hours a week and still manages to help *alot* around the house
  • Virgo75
    Virgo75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    "My life got a lot easier last year when my oldest got her drivers license. My husband travels a lot and is gone 3-5 days a week, having a second driver with a car around really made a difference in my after work schedule. There are still times when I'm running kids all over the place and fast food happens. It is possible to eat with in your calorie limits while getting drive-thru food. McDonald's actually has all their calorie information on all their packaging now, at least here they do. Most fast food places have a salad option, and if you skip the dressing that is super low calorie, usually. I always look up what I'm going to eat on my phone app. before I order it just so I don't have any surprises. "

thanks for this! My husband is the hardest working man I know. WE have been together 16 years and to answer other posters questions, yes he is the father of all 5 of my children. He works nights, sometimes up to 14 hour shifts, I work days. We wave hello/goodbye to each other on the highway. He does what he can with the hour or so he has after he has gotten home and taken a nap for a few hours, maybe 4-5, before going back to work. I don't see him until about noon on Saturday. Some people have no idea what they have.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom to two girls, in college full time and also taking additional classes full time. I manage to work out =)

If you want it, you make time for it and do it. If you don't have the time, you don't want it badly enough.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I guess us busy single dads don't much matter...

Nope, not at all.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you dont make time to exercise you will need to make time to be sick ........

Nobody finds time ..... time is never lost.

You need to MAKE it .... cut 5 minutes from 6 things you do each day and there is 30 minutes for exercise.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. Most of my days begin at 4:30 a.m. and don't end until about 11:00. I have a full time job, a special needs child, 2 teenage boys in the house who both play high school football, and a terminally ill husband. When my son was playing youth ball, I would walk the track around his practice field while pushing the youngest in the stroller or pulling him in the wagon. Now life is more hectic than it was then. I try to squeeze a work out in during my lunch hour or if I can not I might just turn some music on in the house and dance with my little man while the 2 oldest are at football practice or at their friends. It's hard I know. I went for months without exercising and I feel miserable. I am committing myself now, to try and get at least 3 workouts a week in even if they are each just a half hour. Even if I only burn 100 calories, at least I burned calories. Getting up earlier is NOT an option for me. A side effect of our youngest's problems in a sleep disorder, so some nights I might be up with him for hours. Just keep trying to budget your time and I will too!!

As far as food goes, we keep it simple at our house. Sometimes we have sandwich night. Sometimes we fix a simple breakfast casserole for dinner and take care of other household chores while it bakes. Find things you can prep on the weekends to have ready for the week. Do you have a crock pot? Lots of low cal crock pot recipes out there. Also with cooler weather around the corner, we will be having soups and chili that will feed us for a couple of days.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You just take it one day at a time. Some days, it's not going to happen, and you have to be persistent enough not to let that stop you.

As to meals, try to set aside the entire afternoon of Saturday or Sunday to plan, buy, and prepare food. You can prep a lot of meals ahead, and the freezer is your friend. Make twice as much food as you need and freeze the extra whenever possible. Develop a repertoire of quick healthy dinners. You CAN make dinner for 7 in 20 minutes, particularly if everything is already chopped and ready. For emergencies, learn which options at which restaurants are the healthiest.

Also, you need mental health time. If you're currently getting it watching tv or browsing the internet, skip that in favor of the gym. If you literally can't find an hour long block 3x a week (and for 99% of people, this is a mental \thing, not a reality)\, break it up. 20 squats while the shower warms up, lunges while you're on the \phone, etc.
  • mrsRhughes
    Options
    Congrats to you on 16 years! So fantastic. I feel bad for all the people who say that it's "not necessary to have 5 kids" ... they have obviously not experienced the absolute JOY (albeit frustration, chaos, hair-pulling, etc) that these kids bring to our lives! It's easy for someone with no kids to tell you that you need to "just do it" and "make yourself a priority" ... in actuality they don't know what it's like to run FIVE OTHER LIVES. I only have two kids and yes, I say that it's important to make time for myself, but I do NOT do it at the expense of my husband or kids. I try to make the time when I can, don't "set" a time for my workouts, and just fit it in each day when I realize there's an "opening" for a workout! If it means you have to get up a little earlier (if that's even feasible) than maybe that's what you have to do. If it means jogging/walking/running around a field while one of your kids is at a practice, do that! If it means creating a 'workout' at the playground while your kids are playing... do THAT! If you have to work out after dinner even though people "say" you shouldn't do it after eating... DO it. ANYTHING is better than nothing. Don't let anyone tell you differently - CONGRATS to you for having a beautiful family, that is what TRULY matters.

thanks for this! My husband is the hardest working man I know. WE have been together 16 years and to answer other posters questions, yes he is the father of all 5 of my children. He works nights, sometimes up to 14 hour shifts, I work days. We wave hello/goodbye to each other on the highway. He does what he can with the hour or so he has after he has gotten home and taken a nap for a few hours, maybe 4-5, before going back to work. I don't see him until about noon on Saturday. Some people have no idea what they have.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    About me: Single mom (ex lives across the country and has nothing to do with the kids), two boys (4 and 3), full time job with an hour commute each way, full time school, ASD son.

How I do it: Cook all my lunches and prep most our dinners for the week on Sunday evening. I get to work 15 minutes early so I can workout during my lunch hour and I use the few moments between bed time and school/homework for pull ups or ab work. Creating a solid workout plan makes gym time more efficient. My kids are only 4 and 3 years old but they are expected to help with dishes and cleaning up their messes, which frees up those moments before school/homework. If you log all your food for the day the night before you don't have to waste as much time figuring things out or logging through the day.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try getting up a bit earlier. Once you are use to it you'll wake up before the alarm. Pack lunches and dinners in the morning. It might get boring but everyone will survive. You aren't expected to be a chef too. Routine, routine, routine! Have the kids help out! They can get themselves and meals packed and ready. Water bottles filled. You can do it.
  • success42
    Options
    Hi there - I have only 3 kids all in sports and my husband used to work similar hours. I think I can relate (somewhat). Many people have mentioned getting up early to work out. This can be hard to do if you are planning to go to your basement to do DVDs.

I have a long-standing date with two friends to meet for a run at 5:30 AM, rain, shine or snow. Knowing there is someone waiting on a cold, dark street corner (I live in Canada... brrr) means I get out of bed. I can't leave someone waiting. If one of us sleeps in, we run by her house to see if the lights are on. I feel better on the days I run. Also, it is nice to have time with friends.

On occasion, I run stairs during my son's hockey practice. I get comments but they are supportive and sometimes someone joins me.

Finally, I bought my youngest 2 kids cheese knives (rounded tips) and they help with veggie prep. We eat most of our veg raw. They look pretty awful, but the cucumbers are in bite size pieces and the kids are busy while I make the main course.

Best wishes,
    Wendy