handling awkward questions from children

Options
Last night at dinner, my 7 yo son asked (not meanly) "How did you get so fat?" My initial reaction was to tell him that you don't ask questions like that because it is rude. Then I decided to take the opportunity to really discuss it with him , while reaffirming that he is not to ask other people that kind of question. I was proud that I had the confidence to tell him honestly the different things that led me to where I am now, from not understanding as a young girl that I was actually a healthy weight, just a bigger build, to eating out of frustration, to lack of exercise. I also made sure he knew he could always ask me or my husband those kinds of questions. I felt like I handled it pretty well, after the initial shock.

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Out of the mouth of babes - I think you handled it very well. Just it as a teaching moment with honesty. HUGS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I think kids at that age are just curious, not being mean. Good job turning it into a teaching moment (both on being polite, and on being healthy)! What a good mom you are. :flowerforyou:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    When we're empowered to CHANGE our weight (THANKS MFP!:flowerforyou: ) we can discuss the subject factually rather than emotionally. Great job! Obesity is unhealthy and we CAN make positive changes to contribute to our health, which you are doing. By answering the question, you've taught him that you have no reason to be ashamed of your size/weight, because you are now making choices that are good for your health and taking care of your body which will also cause it to be smaller as a side-effect. It's not about how you look or trying to be thin, it's about being healthy. Again, GREAT JOB! :drinker:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Great! I teach in a high school and I am amazed how little kids know about nutrition! Way to take the time to tell your kid the truth! Keep it up!