Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Blackstrap Molasses - Healthy for you, but how to use it?

Saw this randomly when I was trying to think of ways to sneak iron into my wife's diet (she can't swallow pills and hates cereal) so anyone know how to use this stuff? Is it sweet or bitter?

Replies

• tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    I don't know about blackstrap molasses (sorry) but I've heard a good way to sneak some extra iron in is to cook with cast iron pans.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Make some shoofly pie with it
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    It tastes a bit like treacle. We used to be given a spoonful of it every morning when we were kids!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It's sweet but has a really strong taste which isn't really like anything else that I've ever tasted. I can't stand it. I remembered hating it as a child but decided to give it a try again recently for the same reason (iron) but I still couldn't stand it.

As kids, my siblings used to love it though. They ate it on toast or in oatmeal.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Hi, I use very very small amounts..a teaspoon or so in pancake batter and biscuits for my children. I quite like it in porridge too.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Is it thick like maple syrup and honey or is it thin like water? Also, would it be more of a dip or a spread?
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    It's very very thick

spatone is a good iron supplement you can put into juice
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    I was very iron deficient a couple years ago and used a lot of blackstrap molasses because it was tedious taking so many iron pills.

Here are some ways I used it.

1. Eggo waffles. Drizzle a tablespoon on the toasted waffle and then smear ricotta or Greek yogurt. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. The creaminess of the ricotta cuts the bitterness of the molasses just leaving a sweet taste just like a dessert.
    2. Mix with apple butter and smear on toast.
    3. Mix half and half with maple syrup and use on pancakes.
    4. Add to peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Peanut butter is a strong flavor which balances the molasses.
    5 Mix into hot chocolate or coffee to make a "hot molasses" drink.
    6. Make molasses cookies.
    7. Mix into butternut squash or pumpkin to add a sweet "tang."

And finally:

8. Mix half and half with applesauce and gulp in down. I found it hard to eat a spoonful of the blackstrap molasses by itself because it's very thick and syrupy. It kind of gets stuck to the top of your mouth. Add it to applesauce, however, and it slides right down.

As the other posters said, the flavor is very strong. If you wife likes the flavor, you'll find lots of ways to use it. If your wife hates the flavor, there is no way you'll be able to "sneak" it into foods without her noticing.
  • I use it in homemade baked beans. It's also good as a substitute for (real) maple syrup and can be used over oatmeal and stirred into homemade baked pumpkin or winter squash. It is fairly calorie dense, but it is nutritious with a high mineral content. It's thick, like honey and could be spread on toast. It's sweet but it also has a very strong, distinct taste.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Oh and pumpkin bread!

For example, this recipe that someone posted would be awesome with a touch of the sweetener replaced with blackstrap molasses :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/509786-pumpkin-pie-bake-low-carb-123-calories
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Hang on a second -- two teaspoons of blackstrap molasses provides 13% of the RDA of iron per http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=118&tname=foodspice.

So she would need a few tablespoons of the stuff per day in place of vitamins.

Has she tried the gummy vitamins? The other idea that comes to mind is a liquid iron supplement that could be mixed into foods.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    bump
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I don't know about blackstrap molasses (sorry) but I've heard a good way to sneak some extra iron in is to cook with cast iron pans.

:huh:
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Make cookies mmmmm so good
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    I love it. Open a hot biscuit, spread some real butter on it, then drizzle molasses on top. Nom, Nom, Nom.

Other ways, there are some cookie recipes with it. It's good in oatmeal. I bet it would be good as a glaze for meat or veggies. It's a very strong taste so there will be no sneaking it in anywhere.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I put it in my pancake batter sometimes. Makes the pancakes have a slight smokey flavor. It's delicious!
  • It is a thick syrup like product. It has a unique flavor, could be used in anything you add sugar or honey to if you think it's compatible, such as oatmeal, plain yogurt, etc. My sister loved it on pancakes and waffles. Make a salad dressing with it.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Gingerbread Latte

(Single-serving!)

1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp molasses (blackstrap or regular)
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3 tbsp strong coffee
    1 cup milk of choice (almond milk, soymilk, etc.)
    sweetener to taste (sugar, stevia, etc.)

Mix everything together in a small pot or in a mug. Then heat until desired temperature is reached. (Alternatively, if you want a foamy latte: Mix spices into coffee. In a big measuring cup, microwave the milk until foamy. Then pour milk into coffee mixture.)

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/29/homemade-gingerbread-spice-latte/
  • chickenshit4
    chickenshit4 Posts: 49 Member
    I drink it just about every day. One teaspoon in some hot water, and sometimes add milk to make hot drinks with it. I like the taste of it, and it stops me wanting to drink lots of coffee.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    I hate the pills too. I can't give blood due to the fact that I can turn anemica within one donation period. I happen to love molasses and will just eat a tablespoon all by itself. But it is a sugar source so I have to track that calorie amount. I always put molasses in my spaghetti sauce - the kids never know. You can add it to chili too. I put about a tablespoon or so. You can also eat brocolli, dark raisins, dried plums (aka prunes), kale, and seaweed. I will eat steamed kale with some vinegar and seasame seeds. The more I want to eat it, the more I know I need extra iron. I blend kale and dulse seaweed into my spaghetti or chili sauce. The seaweed is a noticable taste so you have to be careful with how much you add. But a little bit of kale really pumps up the iron amount and doesn't over do on the taste. Also pumpkin seeds, eggs and oatmeal or other cereals. I'm not a big bean eater so I tend to not think about those. Here are a couple of links for some ways to get more iron.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/top-iron-sources-44111008

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/vitamins-and-minerals-good-food-sources