Alternating exercise with relaxing

Options
I absolutely hate exercising but have decided I really need to get into gear. I was thinking maybe having a program where I swim one day, a days rest, then either one of the 3: one of many different fitness classes/running/strength training, another days rest, swimming again.. and round in a circle like that.

I get bored quite easily so thought the different exercises would keep me entertained. Should I be more consistent with the middle exercise? I'm really quite weak from the lack of exercise. I don't need to lose weight, but am instead trying to build my weight up with muscle instead, so I'll hopefully look more toned and healthy.

Any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea. The best form of exercise is a lot of different things anyway, and moving in any way is better than not moving, so I'd say go with it - with the eventual goal being to do something every day.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Rest is an important part of any regime. Any kind of training will get you in better shape. It can get dull though if you dont have a goal to work to. Have a look for something a few months away that you train for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good plan. Trying new things will really help keep you motivated. You will find some things you really enjoy, and you won't be bored at all.

Eventually, you can add workouts on a couple of your days off. Many people who start too intensely burn out quickly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. It's just missing one ingredient. Commitment. If you stick to this, it will work.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    AHH alternating exercise with relaxing is the best!!

I usually try to do an upper and lower body split routine with some 12 ounce curls that is relaxing..

Upper body

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYkeqQBf0V9isrxSbC2ZPtTpd9gIb75-UUeKBzykw8xaMIqxS7

Lower body
    Although this little dude is going to be a true Olympian some day.. :laugh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDjxXC3Uw-XLOaEpZ1IyfwNPCZzGni5BIeTeQ3FyCY2aOq5cVW