Sodium...which is true??

Options
This might be a dumb question but here goes. I have heard people on MFP say that sodium makes you retain water weight. I've also heard that sodium dehydrates you. How can both those statements be true? How can something that dehydrates you make you retain water?? Cuz wouldn't retaining water be the opposite of becoming dehydrated...?

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuuump
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I find that sodium makes me retain water, if I have a big meal high in sodium, I find I am up 1-4lbs the next morning. Sodium isn't a bad thing if you keep your water intake high.

The whole dehydration thing is true as well, the body will hold on to the excess water if your sodium intake is higher.

Lots of fluids will help, and just keep an eye on it. Most processed foods and soups are extremely high in sodium, just keep on eye on the information on your packages.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Both statements are true. After it is consumed, salt is absorbed into your bloodstream. Salt acts as a magnet for water, sucking it out of the body's cells. Water is polar and attracted to sodium's electrical ions. The cells resist, but lose. This is how you become dehydrated.

Both your dehydrated cells and salty blood send messages to the brain, asking for more water to respectively quench and dilute.
    When your body needs more H2O, the kidneys slow urine production, conserving the precious resource. Your body is now retaining water. Your body will react this way until the blood returns to an acceptable electrolyte level.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Oh Jenny, you so smart. This is why we're IRL friends too, LOL.

@ ashtonvv - Thanks girl! I don't eat a ton of salty stuff and I definitely drink PLENTY of water!
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is why you keep me around.. for my brains. LOL

Nah, I was really into cellular structure in my science courses.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt/lower-sodium-and-salt/index.html
    The body has an intricate system of checks and balances to maintain a steady amount of sodium in the fluid that bathes cells and in the bloodstream, regardless of intake. When sodium levels fall, or the mineral is in short supply, the kidneys and sweat glands hold onto water. This keeps sodium from leaving the body. The opposite happens when you take in more sodium than you need—the kidneys flush out the excess by making more urine, or making it saltier.

In most people, the kidneys have trouble keeping up with the excess sodium in the bloodstream. As it begins to accumulate, the body responds by holding onto water to dilute the sodium. This increases both the amount of fluid surrounding cells and the volume of blood in the bloodstream. That means more work for the heart and more pressure on blood vessels. Over time, the extra work and pressure can stiffen blood vessels, leading to high blood pressure, heart attack, or stroke. It can also lead to heart failure. There is also some evidence that too much salt can damage the heart, aorta, and kidneys without increasing blood pressure, and that it may be bad for bones, too.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is why you keep me around.. for my brains. LOL

Nah, I was really into cellular structure in my science courses.

I am glad you explained it:-) Otherwise I would have had to put on my anatomy and physiology face and explain lol. Great job.