How do you...

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
tell a guy at the gym, who is a pretty nice guy, and obviously working quite hard to better himself, that he absolutely REEKS of BO.

it's brutal, I mean to the point of offensive. I seriously have to leave a little earlier than I'd like when he's in there, I can only take about 10 minutes. To put it into context, I use a wonderful gym provided by my work complex, it has state of the art equipment, is clean, bright, and basically quiet and a great place to do my weight training, But it's a little small, which is the problem. I don't really know the dude, except from the gym, and he says hi to me and vice versa, but damn, that smell almost knocks you out. And you know how sometimes after a while you get used to a smell, well I don't with this one, it just seems to get worse and worse the longer I'm in there.

Replies

• tubbytabbytales
    Options
    It's Christmas time. Wrap up a bottle of AXE Spray with a pretty bow and be like, "HEY. Merry Christmas, Dude."

HAHAHAH :laugh:

Actually, I don't know. I have the SAME problem with a co-worker.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'm passive/aggressive. I'd leave a polite, anonymous note on his car.

gif004.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm not sure but I think it's because he's Russian, I don't mean his lineage, I mean he's from Russia, barely speaks english. But his friends don't smell bad, so I don't think that's the cause. I know some areas of the world don't use deoderant, which is fine, but I don't want to have to go there!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Oh boy..sorry Boss....this is a VERY VERY tough one
    How can u tell someone that face to face and not make them feel horrible
    I'm a chicken like Shannon....I would probably tell the people that work at the gym (front desk or manager) and hope they would address it

Sorry I don't have better advice for ya...what can u do in this situation?
    Yeeks
    Kim
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Put a tube of deodorant in his locker with a Christmas bow on top and hope no one discovers you were the one to leave it...
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kimber, tell the management. They'll probably offer to say something to him.

It is an uncomfortable situation, but you could always bring it up to one of his friends? Then again, you'd think they would've said something by now. I would tell my friend if they smelt terrible.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I say leave him deodorant and body wash or soap. hopefully he will get the hint... maybe put a note too saying how personal hygiene is important! Sorry, that is a tough one
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    yup, tough one. I drive a school bus and have elementary kids that smell awful, and sit with other kiddos :sick: .....but I feel it is the parent's issue there...so I say nothing, and the little one sometimes is alone in his seat by route's end.....

now, we all know if someone gives us a piece of gum or hard candy that can mean we have bad breath... is that offensive? i would want to know. some ppl take it personal, some want to know.

good luck! :bigsmile:
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    I would eat a lot of garlic and raw onions. Maybe he'll try to avoid you. :laugh:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    If he's talkative and friendly with you, then maybe mention it as a problem you either have or something you have noticed about "other people" in the gym. When I went to Yugoslavia, we were on this small bus and this absolutely drop dead gorgeous, tall, blonde woman was sitting beside my dad, and he was overwhelmed with the BO. So as soon as we got off, we went investigating and found that they did not have deodorant for sale in any of the pharmacies or grocery stores. So maybe ask him about some differences he sees in this country compared to his. Then mention some you might know of, for example, some European countries not offering creature comforts. Maybe he will get the hint?
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Great one Panic!! Love it!

Maybe try to go at a different time then he does... you could probably tell the manager though. It's thier responsibility to provide a clean and comfortable area for you to be.. and both of those are axed when that guy walks in the room.. so try that.

Personally I don't know what I would do. First try a different time.. if thats not possible then stay as far as possible. I am "avoids confrontation" kinda person.

Good Luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    unfortunately there's no manager, or person on duty. The gym is for the office park I'm in, so they built it but didn't staff it, it's basically free if you work there, but only employees can go. I guess I could tell the building managment, but other than putting up some kind of a sign, I don't know what they would be able to do.

I'd love to put deoderant with a bow in his locker except we don't have assigned lockers, it's just "take the first available locker" type situation.

I guess I'll have to confront him about it. Maybe I'll try the managment thing first, but I doubt that will have any affect.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    tell a guy at the gym, who is a pretty nice guy, and obviously working quite hard to better himself, that he absolutely REEKS of BO.

it's brutal, I mean to the point of offensive. I seriously have to leave a little earlier than I'd like when he's in there, I can only take about 10 minutes. To put it into context, I use a wonderful gym provided by my work complex, it has state of the art equipment, is clean, bright, and basically quiet and a great place to do my weight training, But it's a little small, which is the problem. I don't really know the dude, except from the gym, and he says hi to me and vice versa, but damn, that smell almost knocks you out. And you know how sometimes after a while you get used to a smell, well I don't with this one, it just seems to get worse and worse the longer I'm in there.

I know you said BO, but is it from sweat or maybe some sort of powder, maybe he's sick, I know I used to see this person from time to time a stranger who absolutely reeked of some powder or something he would also cough a lot as if he were sick you know one of those cough's. I'm just saying you should try & be nice about it cordial so as to not make yourself feel & look like a Douche, not saying you were going to be rude or anything, but it is something to really consider. All the best brother.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I know you said BO, but is it from sweat or maybe some sort of powder, maybe he's sick, I know I used to see this person from time to time a stranger who absolutely reeked of some powder or something he would also cough a lot as if he were sick you know one of those cough's. I'm just saying you should try & be nice about it cordial so as to not make yourself feel & look like a Douche, not saying you were going to be rude or anything, but it is something to really consider. All the best brother.

nope it's definitely body oder. It's quite a distinctive smell.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You could buy some deodorant and take it in and say, "Hey, I got this from a friend, it's unused, but I like my own deo and I won't use this one. Do you think you might want it?" Haha although I am actually laughing as I read back over this. If some random person did this to me I wouldn't know what to think....might not be as bad as telling him that he smells bad, though. Best of luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Oh God, there's nothing worse than being trapped in a room with a person who smells. I think something along the lines of what Courtney said..."Hey Buddy, my friend gave me this deodorant, and I already have a favorite that I use, you want it?" Make sure to do it in the workout room. Maybe make it a spray, so he'll have less doubts about using it for sanitary purposes. Then next time you're in the workout room, ask him how that deodorant worked. It's not as bad as coming right out and saying something, and he may really have no clue.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Hey Boss, as I read this I gag thinking of it! I have ran from grocery stores and other places because I start to puke! I would rather smell dirty diapers than B.O. ! I do not know why I am like that, I have this unreal fear of mice too!!! I'm a wimp I admit!!! I would either post him a note and tell him that he is reeking the whole place up or not go there at all! There is NO way I could!! You may have to use your strength and show him a shower or the door!!! Good luck!!!!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Just say, Hey dude you stink! Take a shower at least once a year! :devil: J/K If there is no way to leave him little annonymous gifts I would just work out on the other side and hope someone else has a better approach to him.:wink:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I had to deal with this issue with a gentleman from Poland that was a temporary employee. I was very nice talking to him in private (no one else was around), apologized for having to bring the subject up and explained that in America some people are offended by body smells. He really had no idea he smelled to others. I do believe that it's probably cultural and he may appreciate the information. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this difficult issue.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

nope it's definitely body oder. It's quite a distinctive smell.

Can you see his trunk area? I met someone with a colostomy bag and they got so used to the smell if it leaked, that they had an official smeller friend tell them.

Sounds gross, but this is a reality.

You said he is there with friends...........can you speak with one of them?

Gosh, this is a tough situation.

On a funny note: here was this tall, sleek, HOT runner dude that used to always end up next to me on the treadmill. He would sweat so bad that it SPLASHED on me...........I mean like someone threw a cup of water my way. He would finish and there would be at least 1/2 gallon of water on the ground around him.

He was so cute I didnt care:laugh: