Advice on working in the US/Canada

Options
Cliffy94
Cliffy94 Posts: 1,265 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm in need of advice. I've come to abit of a crossroads with my life, im 25 but i want to travel and see some of the world before i settle down career wise! I live in the UK, but i would love to work in the U.S. or Canada for a year, and maybe do some travelling aswell.
Does anyone know of specific requirements to get a visa and if you have to have a certain skill set?
Any information/tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Scott

Replies

• MzRawkqueen
    Options
    I think it depends what type of work you are looking for!!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I did it the other way. I'm a Canadian living in the UK. Sorry I can't help but I'd recommend some time in Canada to anyone. :happy:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's "easier" to get into Canada to work from an outside country (obviously depending on your country) than to get into the US to work.

However, I have no personal experience with this:)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    from the UK huh...

If US make sure to dot every i and cross every t because US immigration is cracking down....on people who fill out the proper forms and do everything legally.
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    You can apply for a Canadian working holiday visa, then step up from there.
    Contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or Canadian Embassy if in Canada.
    Contact the nearest Canadian High Commission office if you are still in the U.K.
  • herrhitman
    herrhitman Posts: 111
    Options
    I think it's the same for both, and it might seem quite obvious, but it's much easier to get a work visa if you have a job lined up to sponsor you. I know Canada has recently made it harder to get a visa if you want to live there permanently without a job offer, but I'm not totally sure about the temporary work visa, as I never looked in to that.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I cannot work here because the process is long and arduous. Without a sponsorship from an employer, it can take 12 to 18 months to get residency and then work visa, while it took my Canadian husband less than 6 months to get his paperwork in the U.S. . To my understanding some professions don't require visas because they are in demand. If you do require a company to sponsor your work visa, then remember that company has to say to the government they couldn't find a qualified Canadian or American to do the job. In the States there is a hefty expense that comes along with the sponsorship. However, American companies seem to be more willing to shell out the cash and do this for the right candidate. Still, you should check with each country's immigration websites to get more info.