14 year old boys, chocolate cake, and d & d parties

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
SO my soon-to-be 14 year old is having a sleepover tomorrow for his birthday. I am currently baking an absolutely GORGEOUS double chocolate cake shaped like a 10 sided dungeons and dragons dice (don't ask).

My son must be the only 14 year old in the country who has been scheming about exactly how he wants his birthday fondant cake for two weeks (at least he appreciates the birthday cakes I make for him).

BUT THE WHOLE HOUSE SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE! And so far, I have only licked on teaspoon of sour cream and a tiny bit of batter. (This counts as a NSV.)

And this is one of those cakes where you cut it up and have all these extra pieces of cake left over after you decorate it. AGH!

Dinner better be good.

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Good job refraining from eating while you are making the cake. When I made my DDs 1st birthday cake and cupcakes, I realized that I would invariably have A LOT of leftovers, so I splurged on some to-go boxes for cupcakes. Each box held 4 cupcakes and each family/group of people went home with at least 1 box of cupackes leaving us with only about 5 at the end. Maybe you can invest in some cake slice boxes or other treat boxes and send all or most of the extras home with the sleepover kids.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    SO my soon-to-be 14 year old is having a sleepover tomorrow for his birthday. I am currently baking an absolutely GORGEOUS double chocolate cake shaped like a 10 sided dungeons and dragons dice (don't ask).

I know you said don't ask, but I have to. How did you make this? Did you find a "pattern" somewhere or just wing it?

**Oh, and congrats on the NSV!
  • nxd10
    Options
    That is a great idea. But with four fourteen year old boys, I think leftovers will not be an issue!

I purposefully made a 6" square cake though, not the 10" I did last year.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

My son must be the only 14 year old in the country who has been scheming about exactly how he wants his birthday fondant cake for two weeks (at least he appreciates the birthday cakes I make for him).

BUT THE WHOLE HOUSE SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE! And so far, I have only licked on teaspoon of sour cream and a tiny bit of batter. (This counts as a NSV.)

And this is one of those cakes where you cut it up and have all these extra pieces of cake left over after you decorate it. AGH!

Dinner better be good.

I"m just happy to hear 14 year old still play D&D and not defaulting to World of Warcraft or some other RPG on a monitor. Makes me think there's hope for immagination!

Good luck and tell your son to roll some d20's for me (been 20 years for me lolz). Remember: Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!
  • nxd10
    Options
    Your timing was great - just had one bite of the trimmings and sat down with a glass of kefir.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hmm a d10 cake, i think that mat trumps the setlers of catan cupcakes.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/04/today-in-joystiq-may-4-2007/

Your son is very lucky to have such a great mom. I hope he know this.

Also well done on resisting, your will power is much better than mine.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    Options

I know you said don't ask, but I have to. How did you make this? Did you find a "pattern" somewhere or just wing it?

**Oh, and congrats on the NSV!

I bought a square 6" pan that was 3" deep and made two layers that I used frosting to put together into one perfect square. Then I will cut it at angles to make the dice shape. And then I'll roll out the fondant icing and cover it. Then I get to carve in the numbers.

It's actually not that hard - just a bit of sculpture. I made up the design. Last year I just made a regular 6 sided dice made with sheets of brownies, icing and oreos.

I cheated this year and used the Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix with added pudding, sour cream, and chocolate chips. So it's not something I'M going to eat (and my husband should keep away from it too). But all the boys are skinny, skinny, skinny and growing like weeds, so they can eat anything.

Those cupcakes are AWESOME!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you take so much as ONE BITE of that cake, a chromatic dragon will roll a 20 and critically hit your hips and *kitten* for 3240 points of fat.

that worked in my head.

Carry on.

(And I do think it's AWESOME of you to make that cake for your son)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you take so much as ONE BITE of that cake, a chromatic dragon will roll a 20 and critically hit your hips and *kitten* for 3240 points of fat.

that worked in my head.

Carry on.

LoLz!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    If you take so much as ONE BITE of that cake, a chromatic dragon will roll a 20 and critically hit your hips and *kitten* for 3240 points

that worked in my head.

Carry on.

well played.
  • Zylahe
    Options
    Rofl,
    And if my hubby was DM you would get extra XP for the role play.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Rofl,
    And if my hubby was DM you would get extra XP for the role play.

:laugh:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I was completely suckered by the title of this thread...brilliant...carry on.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Dinner better be good.

I"m just happy to hear 14 year old still play D&D and not defaulting to World of Warcraft or some other RPG on a monitor. Makes me think there's hope for immagination!

Good luck and tell your son to roll some d20's for me (been 20 years for me lolz). Remember: Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

my baby brother is going to be 18 in February and he still plays D&D :) he's quite into it actually. him and his friends have a whole D&D group, they play at lunch hour in the library and after school in the caff.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

that worked in my head.

Carry on.

^ my hero
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I loved everything about role playing games when I was younger. I miss them. :drinker:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Nice self control. I'd probably just eat the whole thing and it would be a party with store bought cookies.
  • maeganbos
    Options
    You're making a d10 cake? That's way cool! (former D&D player, now math professor who collects cool dice.)

You're a great mom to go to that much trouble.
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options

LOVE THIS!!!!!
  • Zylahe
    Options
    I loved everything about role playing games when I was younger. I miss them. :drinker:
    Who says you can't still play?
    I know plenty of adults who stull play ( self included)