How do you recover your muscles quickly?

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been heavily exercising lately. Trying to tone up.

Monday I ran sprints on a treadmil. 8.5 MPH at a 9 incline. You sprint for 15 seconds, rest- continue steadily increasing to 30 second sprints. Then you jog it out. It's about 30 minutes. I'm linking to the workout. It's actually a really easy way to burn 500 calories.

http://greatist.com/team/my-interval-workout/

Anyway, yesterday (Thursday) I tried to do the same workout. My thighs were SCREAMING. I couldn't do it at all. I even bumped to a 4 incline and couldn't do it.

Right after I did it the first time (Monday), I rolled my muscles out to avoid the agony I am in now.

Any ideas on how to recover more quickly? I wouldn't expect it to be bothering me 4 days later.

Thanks! -Mallory

SW: 160
CW: 136
GW: 130

Replies

• R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I notice I hurt more when I forget to take my protein shake after my work outs. Sorry I don't have more info for you.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Feed the muscles, and drink water. Go with potassium (banana), fast digesting carbs (bread and jam), and protein (whey shake, etc.). They will be sore from working them, but this will help speed recovery. :) Hope this helps!
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    Once you are used to the work out you wont get as sore. Foam rolling and stretching can help as well as ensuring you get enough protein
  • etzhadaat
    Options
    I can't see your diary and I don't know your history. My "obvious" guess is that since you're dieting you're protein deficient right now. Eat some supplemental protein like a chicken breast or a protein shake and try again tomorrow. It might generally be a good idea to eat enough protein to reach your maintenance calories on workout days. You'll slow down your weight loss, but you're almost at your goal anyway and you'll heal faster.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I can't/don't do HIIT (sprinting/jogging) every day. Your muscles need to recover. There is a reason you are sore.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Sleep. Take rest days. Get used to new exercise.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Feed the muscles, and drink water. Go with potassium (banana), fast digesting carbs (bread and jam), and protein (whey shake, etc.). They will be sore from working them, but this will help speed recovery. :) Hope this helps!
    This. If you want less calories in your protein shake go for a whey isolate.
  • malliexo
    malliexo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I work out a lot, so this was unusual for me to experience. However I don't usually sprint on an overly inclined treadmil.

I rolled out immediately and had chocolate milk right after I worked out, thought that would help.

I guess I learned my lesson: only one sprinting workout per week! :)

-Mallory