Any Cyclists? Need some tips!

Options
Heyy, I'm Caitlin :-) I'm 18, 5'5" and currently weight 167 lbs. I love to cycle and recently completed the Coast to Coast challenge early July this year. It was hard work but I did it (even if I walked some of the hills!). I plan on completing the challenge again next year, only this time I want to cycle the whole thing!
I was wondering if you had some tips on how to improve stamina. Also, I live in a mostly flat area, so training to cycle up the Pennines isn't going to work here! One last thing, what would you suggest I eat in order to help build muscle (I don't want to be bulky though!!)
Thank you in advance! :-)

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You sound like your in the same boat as me, ( though 143 miles in 4 days is amazing)
    I'm in cambridgeshire, so its very flat an no chance of hill practice.

I'm sorry i don't have any advice, but i'd love to see what others suggest.
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    If you live in a flat area, then increase resistance by choosing a higher gear than normal. Ok, if you are on the one with most resistance, then increase your riding distance and do it regularly.

Other than that, spinning is a ***** to do, but will increase your leg strength, your lung efficiency and your stamina will come on in leaps and bounds.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I used to do a ton of cycling. I raced a few times too and that is fun and grueling. :)
    Good for you for wanting to set a big goal.
    The best thing you can do to improve stamina is to cycle. Again. You should be going on some longer rides like 30 and 40 milers, and if you're riding totally flat, increase your gear. Also, if you belong to a gym, go to the spinning classes.

To eat: Stick with lean protein. Eggs, egg whites, milk, non-fat to low-fat yogurt, almonds (I eat 12 unsalted as a serving). . Cyclists are big fans of bananas and anything that prevents cramps and especially anything you can stash in your back jersey pocket or camelback.
    If you're talking about what to eat on rides, lots of cyclists love the food bars of all types and also that GU stuff (which i think is disgusting). Anything from a sqeeze bottle that's meant as a food is kinda gross IMHO.

You will build muscle by cycling. And running, hiking, swimming, and so on. Don't forget to have rest days if you go for a longer ride like if you do a 40 - 50 mile ride, don't ride the next day, or do a very light ride. Make sure you get plenty of sleep and drink tons of water. I always had two bottles with me, one plain water and one had some powdered (unsugared) electrolytes in it.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Everybody in this thread is spot on.

HIIT, upping your gear and Spinning are good for the power you'll need for hills. I would suggest adding wind sprints both on your feet and with your bike.

Increasing distance and time is a good way to increase your overall stamina.

Adding muscle is exactly what Kate said: Lean Protein. Fish, birds, nuts and beans. For the endurance, not so much the muscle, you should probably focus on carbohydrates the day before long rides.

Something that's good for your stamina, lung capacity, leg strength, joints and keeping your muscles lean is swimming. If you can find a good lap pool use it.