Replacing unhealthy items in recipes

Options
Does anyone know what you can use to reduce/replace crisco in a recipe? Its a sugar cookie recipe that I need to seriously lighten up.

Is there a website you can go to for what to use to healthy-up your existing recipes?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Honestly, you probably can't replace butter or crisco for anything. You can substitute apple sauce for oil, and use nonfat milk and maybe egg beaters for eggs, or splenda for sugar, but I've tried lots of substitutions in cookie recipes, and most of them make the cookies not taste like they should. I wouldn't substitute more than a few of the ingredients, and if you mess with the butter or crisco, you're probably going to end up with little puddles for cookies. It might be a better idea to just not eat as many or go to cookinglight.com and look for a healthier recipe. You could also make a couple of half batches with different variations and see if anything tastes right.

-Alison
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Here is a Cooking Light recipe for Sugar Wafers with Vanilla frosting: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=833344
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce may work, it does for cakes and muffins, may try half a batch this way or try a 50% apple sauce 50% oil/butter.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alison, it is really hard to replace butter or shortening in a cookie recipe and still have it taste the same. I successfully substituted applesauce for butter in 1 cookie recipe, but the recipe is for apple hermit cookies so it only added more apple flavor. It also makes it very, very moist which isn't always what you are looking for in a cookie. I really wouldn't think it would work in a sugar cookie recipe.

I love Cooking Light!!! I've tried one of their other cookie recipes and it was wonderful. I haven't tried the sugar waffers, but I think I might make some for Christmas. Here's a different sugar cookie recipe from them. It was published in this month's issue.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1941055