Anyone lost over 100 pounds with low carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to lose 100 pounds and most of them are better than surgery. If low carb is the route you want to take, it can surely be done. I would only suggest that you choose a method that you can stick with permanently and I understand that many low-carb eaters do. Only a permanent lifestyle change will bring permanent results. For me, that means the opposite, a diet of about 80% carbs. It's not only gotten the weight off, but it has also gotten me off all my medications and health-related issues. And I love the food now more than ever.

Find what you like, educate yourself, and act on your knowledge. I wish you all the best!

Well said!
  • DaBigChief
    Options
    I have. I usually get my carbs from fruits, veggies, beans, oatmeal, and occasionally from whole grain bread.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds in 6 months eating between 50 and 125 grams of carbohydrates a day. I walked for 1 hour a day -- traipsed really -- while doing mostly strength endurance work (13-20 repetitions) of compound exercises: deadlifts, squats, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and kettlebell swings.

Once I began eating around 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight and carbohydrates before my workouts, nearly all of my weight loss was from fat.

I am no longer "low carb," by any definition, because my insulin sensitivity has been restored through weight loss and intense exercise.

Parenthetically, my body fat percentage has, so far, fell by 24%.
  • amygiommetti
    amygiommetti Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have lost 134 lbs with doing 50 carbs a day
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Not quite 100 lbs ... yet
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to lose 100 pounds and most of them are better than surgery. If low carb is the route you want to take, it can surely be done. I would only suggest that you choose a method that you can stick with permanently and I understand that many low-carb eaters do. Only a permanent lifestyle change will bring permanent results. For me, that means the opposite, a diet of about 80% carbs. It's not only gotten the weight off, but it has also gotten me off all my medications and health-related issues. And I love the food now more than ever.

Find what you like, educate yourself, and act on your knowledge. I wish you all the best!

OMG! I'm a huge carb eater, too! I didn't know there was anybody else out there that ate such a high ratio of carbs! I agree that people have to find out what works best for them and make sure it's something sustainable. The overall goal is to get that weight off and keep it off, right? :flowerforyou:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I lost my wt. in a year. I lost it too quickly at first and had problems: hair falling out and thinning, nails became brittle and loss of muscle mass. I slowed down my wt. loss and increased my protein intake. I am supposed to eat 75-100 gms. of protein every day and keep my carb. intake low. I was told to lose wt. or I would die. I am healthier now but still have another 50 lbs. to lose. I wish you luck on your wt. loss. Also, make sure that you workout 5 days a week for at least 30 min. a day.
  • JQtee
    JQtee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I've lost 110 lbs and am still losing. I just joined the site to reply to this question. We've done it on the Dukan diet. It is low carb but the diet is based on eating all the lean protein you want. We had done Atkins at one point but never lost like this. I got to certain point and just never got down below that and we did Atkins for more than 2 years so it wasn't like we didn't give a good shot. Of course when we finally went off Atkins I gained most of the weight back. I have also been on every other diet imaginable and before this had managed to take 2 years to lost about 40 lbs by "eating sensible", with this diet in 10 months I've lost 110 lbs. I was so desperate before trying this that I was seriously considering weight loss surgery. On this diet I have lost the weight just about as fast as they projected I would with the surgery. This is real food and exercise. The exercise is simple too just walking 30 minutes a day. We started the diet (our whole family is doing it there are 3 of us) on January 15th, 2012. I had the most to lose starting at well over 300 lbs, like I said I've lost 110 lbs, my husband has lost right at 70 lbs and my son has taken off 50 lbs. The other thing you should know is that I'm 52 so my age makes weight loss much harder but this diet really works even for a middle aged women. I highly recommend it, you can go online and find the official Dukan Diet website you answer a few questions and he sends you and email telling you what your goal weight "true weight" should be. They also offer you their diet coaching but we just read the book and did it on our own. There are lots of people out there that are having success so there is plenty of help without paying for the coaching. :flowerforyou: