creative, thoughtful & inexpensive gifts

Options
bettersusan
bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
HI everyone,

I just wondered if any of you had any thoughtful, creative and inexpensive gift ideas for the Christmas Season. We are on a tight budget but I LOVE to get into the season and really enjoy giving. I just don't like to give (or receive) junk. I need some creative ideas for close friends, families, relatives...stuff that is from the heart and will be meaningful to others whether they are wealthy and seem to have everything or live quite humbly. Any of you creative, fun people that can help me? Also, for the GUYS...What are some things you would like from your wife? I'd love to come up with something really fun & creative for my husband. Thanks!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't looking for a newly released movie, you can make a movie basket for someone.

A $5 movie from Walmart, a wicker basket to hold it ($3), a couple bags of popcorn, a couple 20 oz or smaller sodas, a couple boxes of movie sized candy ($1 each).

Similarly, a basket with a nice smelling candle, bath salts, a new loofah, and maybe a small bottle of lotion.

One year my best friend went to the Dollar Store and gave me an orange themed gift bag. (Orange is my fave color.) There was an orange hair crush, orange candy, orange notepads and pens, orange hair ties, an orage loofah, etc. Probably $20 total (lots of items in the bag).

Money is tight for my family too, so last year we decided to do a gift swap/steal instead of individual gifts. We spent $20 on each gift and received one back in the same amount. The laughter and hilarity of stealing from one another made for priceless memories, and we didn't have to spend much to play.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    HI everyone,

I just wondered if any of you had any thoughtful, creative and inexpensive gift ideas for the Christmas Season. We are on a tight budget but I LOVE to get into the season and really enjoy giving. I just don't like to give (or receive) junk. I need some creative ideas for close friends, families, relatives...stuff that is from the heart and will be meaningful to others whether they are wealthy and seem to have everything or live quite humbly. Any of you creative, fun people that can help me? Also, for the GUYS...What are some things you would like from your wife? I'd love to come up with something really fun & creative for my husband. Thanks!!

I'll direct my wife to this thread. She puts togther these calenders at Walgreens.com. You can mark important dates like birthdays and anniverseries with your own pictures. I think they run below $20 ea. But she puts a lot of time into picking out pictures though.

I don't know what you're husband is into, but you don't have to be that creative.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I use shutterfly a lot to make gifts for the family..they LOVE some of the stuff with the kids pics
    If u register on shutterfly they usually send u coupons or u can surf the new for discounts

Kim
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    To save a little bit of money at Christmas, instead of buying gift bags, I've started buying those reusable bags that just about all retailers make now. They normally run about $1 instead of $3-$4 like the gift bags and the person who receives the gift gets something they can keep using over and over!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    To save a little bit of money at Christmas, instead of buying gift bags, I've started buying those reusable bags that just about all retailers make now. They normally run about $1 instead of $3-$4 like the gift bags and the person who receives the gift gets something they can keep using over and over!

I love those reusable bags. They are GREAT for carrying in tons of groceries, with a shoulder bag instead of weighing down the hands!
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    We usually make gifts

Last year my mother made homemade chicken soup and canned it.. gave the soup with a bag of noodles and instructions

My brother made sausage seasoning last year (it is yummy and allows you to season ground turkey with the taste of sausage)

We have done gift baskets of many types.

BBQ - bbq tongs, oven glove, sauce, apron, recipe

Pizza - dry ingredients in jar with instructions, homemade sauce in jar and a pizza stone

Movie - gift card to favorite movie rental place or Netflix, popcorn, and diet soda or bottled water

Relax - rice pack for heating in the microwave, bath salts or milk, other foo foo stuff, such as music, lavender etc..

You can really get pretty creative... just pick a theme and see what else you can add.

One year I did an auto theme for the guys, air freshener, leather cleaner, dash cleaner, made new trash bags out of old denim

you might try googling "homemade Christmas gifts" and see what you come up with.. there are tons of ideas out there!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I would also try Etsy.com. They have tons of ideas and handmade items. Some of their vendors are very reasonably priced. They have tons of different ideas for those people that are hard to buy for. Best of luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I refuse to answer the part about the guys because

A) it's not family friendly

and

B) I don't like having my hopes dashed on Christmas morning.
    :tongue:
  • kimber607
    Options
    Men Men men.......make up some phony gift cards for a free *cough* massage etc etc :wink: :smokin:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Men Men men.......make up some phony gift cards for a free *cough* massage etc etc :wink: :smokin:

the problem is, I'd get them, then she'd probably show me the fine print way down at the bottom of the back which would read:

"Not valid in the following cases: when I'm tired, when I'm hungry, when I'm not feeling very sexy, when I'm mad at you, when I'm mad at me, when I'm mad at my mother, busy, watching one of my shows, reading one of my books, sleeping (COME ON!), awake, when I'm talking on the phone, after labor day, before labor day."
    :laugh:

I kill me sometimes
  • kimber607
    Options

the problem is, I'd get them, then she'd probably show me the fine print way down at the bottom of the back which would read:

"Not valid in the following cases: when I'm tired, when I'm hungry, when I'm not feeling very sexy, when I'm mad at you, when I'm mad at me, when I'm mad at my mother, busy, watching one of my shows, reading one of my books, sleeping (COME ON!), awake, when I'm talking on the phone, after labor day, before labor day."

I kill me sometimes

Very cute..funny Boss
    So pretty much not valid when sleeping or awake...LOL..that would sum it up
    I think guys needs specifics so I would add not valid after I just puked (stomach bug), have snot running down my nose, have been up all night with a sick child etc etc
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I kill me sometimes

I don't think I've ever read anything on the boards that sent me that far into hysterics. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For the record, GREAT idea - the fine print part that is. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I kill me sometimes

Very cute..funny Boss
    I think guys needs specifics so I would add not valid after I just puked (stomach bug), have snot running down my nose, have been up all night with a sick child etc etc

pretty sure I wouldn't be asking for anything after most of those events anyway, I'm not 21 any more after all. :tongue:
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for the great ideas. I love the auto care basket idea for my 2 nephews. I have already checked out one of the websites you guys recommended too. By the way, I take very care care of my husband and vice-versa. Coupons wouldn't need a lot of fine print! LOL Cute idea though!

Thanks again guys!!

Merry Christmas!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've also been looking for creative, inexpensive ideas. Here are some things I came across in my quest:

One of my friends always makes a playlist to signify her year and burns copies for friends and families - I look forward to getting it every year b/c it's a window into her past year, plus she has great taste in music and I get exposed to new stuff. Per cd the cost is relatively cheap - it's just the time and effort that goes into it....

This year, my cousins, aunts, uncles etc. are all going to make a "memory jar" for grandma. She's 87 and really doesn't need anything we would give her. We're going to write letters, draw pictures, put in old photographs, etc. for her to pull from and reminisce. (I love this idea!) The only cost will be the container we put it in - and even that might be something one of us has already at home.

Hmm.. what else. I came across a poem template called "Where I'm From" - it's actually based on a poem by the same name... google that phrase if you're interested - there are templates to write your own poem - the life experiences, and people who have made you "you". Might be a neat idea to give to a parent or grandparent (very personalized and thoughtful.)

I'm going to print photographs this year of some special people (on my home printer) - and buy inexpensive frames ($3-4 at Ross) - and that also makes a nice gift.

My friend visited for vacation last year, I'm going to make a slideshow of the pictures we took on her vacation and burn to DVD.. again, inexpensive - simpyl the time it takes is the only real cost.

I might try to make homemade sugar scrub (can google recipes) for the bath and give away to the ladies in my life who like the foo foo.

Make a batch of cupcakes, split them and give as treats...

You get the idea.

Oh - and one more idea I LOVE!!!! For anyone you know who enjoys cooking - find a stellar recipe that they'll enjoy making, buy the ingredients (or the key staples) and put it together in a basket - so you're giving an "experience". A variation of this idea is to buy a cookbook (this would involve a little more money), bookmark the page with the recipe you chose, and buy the ingredients. For kids - (Im doing this for my neices and nephews) - I'm giving "team gifts". Two of them get the supplies to make pizzas (using refrigerated biscuits as dough) ... or pigs in a blanket (something easy) - and the other two get the supplies to make a dessert - brownies or pineapple upside down cakes. Something fun. Then I'm going to find little aprons for all of them and pain their names on. My sister and mom might go in with me - so the cost is split 3 ways. :) Fun!

Hope this helps! Enjoy... and keep the ideas coming! :)
  • kimber607
    Options

I kill me sometimes

Very cute..funny Boss

pretty sure I wouldn't be asking for anything after most of those events anyway, I'm not 21 any more after all. :tongue:

Ok, then I have hope DH will grow out of this soon since he is almost 38:wink::tongue: