SlimShots

CrystalT
CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am NOT considering this for myself, but my MIL has requested these for Christmas. I just wondered if anyone has tried them and what your experiences were.

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I have no personal experience, but since I was not familiar with the product, I did a google search and came up with some interesting data. Here is the link:

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/Slim_Shots/

Here is a brief excerpt from that article:

"Slim Shots contains natural oat, palm oil, artificial vanilla flavor, sweetener, aspartame (Phenylalanine) and beta carotene color.

Phenylalanine makes of 50% of aspartame, an artificial sweetener commonly used in diet products. ADD/ADHD patients and diabetics may experience negative side effects as a result of consuming this ingredient. Those with PKU, or at risk for PKU, should avoid Phenylalanine as it can cause brain damage or even death."

This is only one of several reviews from different sources.

In my opinion, I hope you can convince your relative they would be better off adopting a healthy lifestye and joining MFP!!!:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    Yeah, I think I'll be finding something else. I wasn't happy at the idea, but after reading the comments on that link I'm REALLY not going to buy this for anyone!! I've mentioned this website to her before, but she isn't interested. Truthfully, I think she's looking for an "easy way" or she wouldn't have come across the SlimShots to begin with. *Sign* If only there was an "easy way". :ohwell:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I consume products containing Phenylalanine.

Just saying it's in a lot of things (artifically sweetened yogurt, gum, soda, just to name a few), not just diet supplements/pills/whatever. So the fact that SlimShots contains phenylalanine doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure many of us on this site consume products containing phenylalanine on a regular basis -- some without even realizing it.

Edit because I realized I may have come across pro-artificial sweetener. I'm not. In fact, I try to avoid it most of the time. I was just making a point that the one review that was quoted wasn't exactly saying much at all.
  • CrystalT
    I didn't just go by the quote. I actually went to the website she linked to. Phenylalanine isn't why I'm not going to buy it for her, although she claims she is ADHD like her son (my hubby). As I look through the comments, I just don't feel like this is a good product for someone who isn't already trying to eat healthy. Maybe if she was already eating healthier but really just felt hungry all the time, I'd think about it. Plus, what happens when she stops taking them?

Here's a comment from the site: "Also, I would suggest that if you are not eating much while you are on Slim Sorts that you eat a variety of nutritionaly dense foods and/or take a multi-vitamin to be insure you are getting the nutrition your body needs to stay healthy. I plan to do this also, as well as getting back on my exercise program. Good luck everyone! posted Nov 6th, 2009 5:44 pm "

I kinda artificial sweetner neutral. I try to avoid them myself now just because I'd rather eat more naturally. I actually grew up eating them because my dad is diabetic, so I know that they help a lot of people.
  • weaklink109
    In the interests of space, I didn't include the entire review, but what I did included certainly gives one a reason to stop and think before buying the product, especially if they are diabetic, prong to ADHD or have PKU!!. And yes, the active ingredient IS in a lot of products, but that doesn't mean it is something you should go out of your way to ingest more of. A lot of people eat doughnuts and drink soda, and they don't usually die as a direct result, but that doesn't make it healthy, or something that someone interested in their long term health would seek out.

If a person wants to try something with the active ingredient Phenylalanine, they can pick up any number of over the counter products and probably pay considerably less than they would for the product that the originial poster inquired about.

And Crystal, I think you are on the right track. I hope you can make some progress with convincing the other person you are trying to educate.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Again, I wasn't supporting the product. I don't support any "diet aids" of any kind. I think they're a horrible idea.
    I'm sure there's worse stuff in it for you than artificial sweetener. I posted what I did simply because your post, however snipped, was making a point that the product was bad soley on the artificial sweetener being an ingredient and it appeared as though you were quite unaware that the same ingredient is in so many other foods. My aim was to educate. That is all.
  • weaklink109
    "Phenylalanine makes of 50% of aspartame, an artificial sweetener commonly used in diet products. " That was in the first line of the quote, so it is unfortunate that you reached the incorrect conclusion that I was unaware this ingredient is in other products.

The point of my post was to point the original poster in the direction of information that would answer her question. The quote was included because I wanted to give some idea of where the link was coming from without making an overly long post.
This discussion has been closed.