rest week from lifting

Options
Do you take a rest week every now and again? If so, how often? Do you take a total rest from all exercise or just a rest from weight lifting? Does it make a difference towards your weight loss/fitness goals?

Replies

• GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do once a quarter (every 13 weeks), but only from lifting. I've been pleasantly surprised with the results after. Hey, a week's worth of healing and recovery would do anybody good. Just don't let it run away with you.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've found taking a week off from weight lifting often results in an increase in strength for me. I do it when I start to feel weak during my lifting sessions even with a day or two off. So perhaps once every two months or so. If nothing else, it makes ME feel like I've moved forward and thus increases my motivation to continue. Generally speaking, I'll keep doing cardio when I take my time off of weight lifting.
  • DaBigChief
    Options
    On a rest week...body was screaming for it. Did spin and tennis instead
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I took last week off from lifting only. It was my first break since January. My weight did not fluctuate and I did notice that I was able to lift higher weights this week.
  • blandrick
    Options
    Depending on your program, you may be able to simply program in a light day. For example, I'm doing Starting Strength. When I can't recover enough to increase everything by 5 lbs each workout, I can throw a light day in for my middle of the week workout. Since the main point of the program is squats, on Monday and Friday I would do my 3 sets of 5, and on Wednesday I would do say...80%ish of the previous workout's work weight, for 2x5. It allows you to go in, get some work in to keep fresh, practice technique, or whatever and you still feel like you hit the gym.

Then again, occasionally you DO need a week off. I just wanted to point out that you can get a similar effect just from intelligent programming.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was a good idea.
    As I get older, it has become mandatory.

My joints need a rest now and again and taking time off/switching to silly light weights helps me avoid injury and keep going for the long haul.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I lose weight when I rest...can't explain it, but that's when I've lost every lb in the last 4 mos. Gotta hit it hard in between, though.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I typically take a 4 to 7 day break from lifting every 8 to 12 weeks based on what my joints are telling me. I will still do my cardio days though.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that if I take a week off completely, that I may not get back to it. It makes sense to take a break from lifting. I am finishing my 9th week. Maybe after 12 weeks, I will take a break (but keep doing cardio to keep my routine :)