Why weight lifting is important on this journey... (pic)

Options

Replies

• kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well done, I've just started lifting heavy and I can't wait to see result
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That is my main goal for being here is to meet and talk with others interested in weight training. Congrats on that muscle! And the 50 lbs lost.
  • Megd1010
    Megd1010 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do weights twice a week and one of those session is with a PT. You need it as wells as cardo - building strength is good for bones and stability.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Love love love it!
    Well done you!!!!!!
    I have done cardio for a few months now and lost 27 pounds including about ten pounds of fluid from coming off four nasty medications.
    I realise i need to lift if i want muscle definition. I started weights at gym yesterday iv was scary but i did it! Planning on doing two half hour sessions a week before my two shortest cardio classes. Can i ask you how much you did a week to see those results?
    I am aiming for 51 pounds lost by Christmas and would love your guns to match. My arms are similar to your before photo.
    Thanks for posting! X x
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just great, lovely pics. I've been back at the gym since April, but don't go often enough - 3 times a month, so am going to try to go more often over the coming autumn/winter. The good thing is that almost every time I go, I up the weights on some of the machines. Might look for another arm one, though!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Nice going; well done! :-)

The danger for someone outside looking in is that they see the photos and think "So, I just do tricep dips and bicep curls to burn the bingo wings!"

Your cardio and diet have done more for getting rid of your arm fat than lifting weights at this stage.

I don't do any arm work whatsoever and can see the shape of the muscles under my skin. The triceps get worked by bench pressing (chest work!). The biceps get worked from various rows (back work!). The forearms from pull ups and just picking up and not dropping weights on my hooves.
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    Photo on the left is from April 2012. Photo on the right is from August 2012. Just 4 months difference.

4215ff1f.jpg

I still have work to do. Today I surpassed the 50 lbs lost mark. I walk, run, use the elliptical. But the weight lifting is what's making the biggest changes to my body.

I don't lift heavy (yet!) I use free weights, machines, I do assisted pull ups and dips, pushups... whatever I can. I mix it up. I'm no expert. But seeing photos side by side really showed me that this is working. I encourage you to lift too! And take photos because that's how you'll see your progress.

PS. Feel free to add me, if you're looking for a new friend. :)

thats amazing that its just a 4 month result. i started prety much around the same time and im nowhere close :( i hope i can get something out of this too!!
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thank i just started body weight training. it is so hard and i cant wait to see the results.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I too love lifting weights! I've noticed a huge difference in how my body looks and performs. Last time I lost weight, it was mostly from cardio and running but through circuit training / weight lifting, I've achieved much better results.

As for what weights I lift, I use free weights and bodyweight for the best results (rather than machine's). Rows, push ups, dips, assisted pull ups, step ups, squats, lunges, dead lifts, I do as many as my body tells me to do. I switch it up on each workout to keep my body guessing and when I need help, my trainer steps in. I lift until exhaustion so my muscles fatigue 3 times per week. I. Lift so I do a max of 15 reps so I lift heavier weights (20 lbs dumbbells for most exercises).

So to those of you that are thinking about starting to lift weights, do it, you'll love it.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    wow huge difference!
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Great toning on those arms. That is a world of difference. You are setting a great example for those out there that only do cardio and wonder why they don't have the look they want yet.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Love reading posts by ladies who enjoy lifting! Happy for you, OP, and excellent work! :flowerforyou:
  • JMarie5390
    Options
    This is an amazing picture! You should be so proud of yourself. Enjoy this!!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, great for you! I agree weight lifting is very important to or weight loss goals as well as our over all good health. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    Your progress is amazing!!! So glad to see more women hitting the iron. I dont know what they are afraid of.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are an inspiration. Thank you!!
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not only the arms, look at that waist, too! :flowerforyou:
  • marthathebear
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Your arms are covered in awesome! Can't wait to see 4 months from now please post. I am going to try this.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this - amazing results thus far.

I want to encourage you - and others - to lift HEAVY. I bet you'll get even better results. Women, you won't bulk up.

If you need a place to start or to guide you try the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler

There is a Men's version of the book too.

Again, congrats on your awesome progress - keep it up!
  • Great job! You look awesome! I love what weights can do to us!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!