Lost ambition

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
I was doing soooo good eating right, exercising almost daily. But, 3 days ago I found out I'm laid off of my teaching job next year because of budge cuts. Usually, I'm pretty upbeat and don't let stuff get me down, but lately, I have had NO ambition to do anything. Can't really search for a new job until April after the contracts for the next year are turned in, and the schools can see in what areas they need teachers. So, I have like a month...of complete uncertainty. Any suggestions of how to get back the motivation? I

Replies

• wriglucy
    Options
    I was doing soooo good eating right, exercising almost daily. But, 3 days ago I found out I'm laid off of my teaching job next year because of budge cuts. Usually, I'm pretty upbeat and don't let stuff get me down, but lately, I have had NO ambition to do anything. Can't really search for a new job until April after the contracts for the next year are turned in, and the schools can see in what areas they need teachers. So, I have like a month...of complete uncertainty. Any suggestions of how to get back the motivation? I
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Stop defining yourself by what you do. Define yourself by who you know you can be.

Best of luck.
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out about what you can not control. Be motivated by what you do have control over. You can control your mood. You can control what you eat. You can control what your body does or is not doing. I am a teacher myself, and for all you know this could be the greatest blessing in disguise! Think about it, you could find your self in a wealthy district that will pay you more and have a greater facility(SP?) than what your in now!:wink:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Think positive, smile and you will be fine:flowerforyou: You can make it through this and there are many schools that will be needing teachers.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! What this world needs is good teachers! I'm sure you will find something soon if they don't call you back, but in the meanwhile as hard as it may feel you should try to get yourself up and get your body moving!! Exercise will rev up your mood and maybe even help you stay more motivated, I mean as much as I don't want to right now, I know I need to get up and get my butt in the other room to have a date w/ turbo jam....ugh....but afterwards I know how awesome I'll feel all day and it will help me deal w/ the daily stresses.....and omg....there are sooooo many:ohwell:

best of luck and my best advice for motivation is get up and get goin, you'll motivate yourself and be amazed, but the first step is the hardest.....ugh...pushing myself away from the puter now.....grumble...:grumble: stupid turbo jam! lol (talk to me in an hour and I'll be on top of the world LOL)

hugs!!!
    ALi
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I can very much appreciate your feeling this way but there's a saying that goes something like: If you want to get someplace in life you have to drive the engine . From what I read on your profile you are driving a pretty powerful locomotive!

Just because one wheel is going to fall off it doesn't mean that the others have to go with it so don't watch it. Focus on your other goals, work on your resume or whatever you have to do in preparation for the possible job openings in April, also look around at private academic institutions in your area, build yourself some options between now and then. Rank order your options from most desired to "ho-hum, if I have to" and then bide your time until it's time.

I think you have a powerful mind, a great vision about your life, your future looks bright and you were on a high that didn't very much appreciate this announcement. Move forward, get yourself back on track and stay at the controls of your locomotive because the rest of us back here in coach class are cheering you on. :flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    We never really understand why some doors close for us. But you can rest assured that when one closes, another one opens. It helps to see this as an opportunity and not a disappointment. I know, easier said than done. I know I haven't said this nearly enough. Thank you for your decision to be a teacher. I have much respect for what you do.:smile:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Remember everything happen for a reason. Be grateful for the job you have now . Don't think of it of a month of uncertainty maybe you can think of it as something good is coming in April with a little excitement attached to it cause you'll be embarking on a new journey. Stay positive and only good will come of this:flowerforyou:
  • wriglucy
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It feels good to know that I have support here, for everything!
  • madkat67
    madkat67 Posts: 32
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your position... I hope everything works out for you.
    For me, your story just reminds me that this area of comfort and security we create for ourselves is a lot more fragile than we think. I've been struggling with the ups and downs of life and I think that's what has led to my weight control problems. I know you'll get your motivation back, but maybe it's not about motivation, maybe it's about adjusting to your new situation in life. I bet once you get a plan together, your motivation to continue to take care of yourself will return as well.
    Good luck!
    MadKat67