PCOS and Insulin resistance

Options
I have never been diagnosed, but as far as PCOS I do have some syptoms.. Fertility issues, took 5 years to get preg with my daughter, with my son I took clomid to get pregnant. I have the awful painful periods.. I take birth control to stop them completely. I have increased facial hair. I know I have had at least one ovarian cyst burst... now for insulin resistance.. I am constantly fatigued most days, I have the brain fog for a good part of the day. I did have a fasting glucose done which was fine. I am wondering about doing a glucose tolerance test. I am pear shaped. I have lost 50 pounds and have been plateaued for a year.. I am going to see my dr in a few weeks. I have been reading about metformin, should I see an endocrinologist? What is your experience? Curious to see what has worked. Being a year stuck is really frustrating I am to the point to try anything

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would wait to see your doctor. It sounds like you have all of the symptoms and with pcos, it's just a collection of symptoms that make the diagnosis. Keep your sugar to the 45g a day recommended here, stop eating fast burning carbs (aka white carbs).
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Same issues as you. My turned out to be all your issues PLUS something call hemochromitosis. I retain all my iron and poison my liver with it. I too have lost 50 lbs and been plateaued and can't seem to bust through it. I have tried metformin. It made me sick to my stomach. I lost no weight on it. It brought back my periods kind of. I did it with a clomid regiment to try and fix some hormone stuff. I have been off all that since the hemachromitosis diagnosis since for me it is the reason for my issues. If your dr has a good plan to bust through your plateau please let me know.
    I guess this was more of a you're not alone response....sorry I don't have anything better for you.....feel free to add me as a friend
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done to confirm PCOS and insulin resistance. For PCOS, they checked my hormone levels. My progesterone is super low, even lower than in men. For insulin resistance, they took my insulin and glucose readings after I'd fasted overnight. Then, they gave me a list of foods to eat and told me to come back no later than two hours after I ate the last bite of food. They took another insulin and glucose sample to compare.

My insulin level 16 hours after fasting was higher than the highest reading for someone who has just eaten. My doctor said that's why I'm so hungry in the morning. My insulin level after I ate was *triple* the highest reading. Basically, I just keep making insulin, constantly, because it's not processing the glucose. My A1C was 5.1, and my post-meal glucose was 90. So, I'm not diabetic, just insulin-resistant. If left untreated, however, insulin resistance can turn into Type 2 diabetes, so please have yourself tested.

He put me on 500mg of Metformin, but it's the extended-release formula and doesn't give me any side effects as long as I take it with a full meal and drink a glass of water with it. The XR pill is meant to be taken after dinner. He said that very few of his patients experience side effects on the XR version, so if your doctor wants you to take it, ask for that.

If you do have insulin resistance, you will need to eat a low-sugar, low-carb diet even if you're taking Metformin. The Metformin is simply there to help your body do its job. If you eat too many carbs and/or too much sugar, it can give you more side effects from the medication, and your body will still struggle to process everything. You don't have to go crazy-low, like Atkins induction or anything. My doctor recommended I eat around 100-120 carbs per day and avoid the white, starchy things like white bread and potatoes.

Metformin can take 3-4 weeks to start working, so you won't feel instant results. Once it does, though, you should have an easier time losing weight. The medicine itself won't make you lose weight, though. It simply processes the glucose properly so that you're storing carbs as energy instead of your liver storing it up and releasing it as fat. It basically gets your body to stop fighting you. You need to keep up your end of it by eating properly. :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with PCOS who has lost over 100lbs, regained regularity with her period and although she's still fatigued, she can usually push through the day without issue. She has sleep issues, which makes it worse than the PCOS would normally, I think.
    As far as she's noted, there's no change in the hirsutism. I don't know anything about her - medically speaking - aside from the fact she had a fasting glucose test done and was surprised it came back within the normal range -- although this WAS after losing a good 95lbs.

The weight was lost with a number of 'low GI' cookbooks and a 5x a week strength training regimen. After 50lbs or so on cardio alone she noticed that she was still retaining a lot of fat in the gut & thighs (which I'm told is typical of PCOS) and only really started "slimming down" with lifting.

I agree with the poster who said to visit your doctor. My friend did all of this without any type of drugs, but I'm sure there's a wide variation between severities of PCOS and one person's experience is not necessarily a typical marker of all experiences. Your doctor should be able to refer you to a dietician who can help you out with food choices to make your weight loss easier.

Best of luck :)
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done to confirm PCOS and insulin resistance. For PCOS, they checked my hormone levels. My progesterone is super low, even lower than in men. For insulin resistance, they took my insulin and glucose readings after I'd fasted overnight. Then, they gave me a list of foods to eat and told me to come back no later than two hours after I ate the last bite of food. They took another insulin and glucose sample to compare.

My insulin level 16 hours after fasting was higher than the highest reading for someone who has just eaten. My doctor said that's why I'm so hungry in the morning. My insulin level after I ate was *triple* the highest reading. Basically, I just keep making insulin, constantly, because it's not processing the glucose. My A1C was 5.1, and my post-meal glucose was 90. So, I'm not diabetic, just insulin-resistant. If left untreated, however, insulin resistance can turn into Type 2 diabetes, so please have yourself tested.

He put me on 500mg of Metformin, but it's the extended-release formula and doesn't give me any side effects as long as I take it with a full meal and drink a glass of water with it. The XR pill is meant to be taken after dinner. He said that very few of his patients experience side effects on the XR version, so if your doctor wants you to take it, ask for that.

If you do have insulin resistance, you will need to eat a low-sugar, low-carb diet even if you're taking Metformin. The Metformin is simply there to help your body do its job. If you eat too many carbs and/or too much sugar, it can give you more side effects from the medication, and your body will still struggle to process everything. You don't have to go crazy-low, like Atkins induction or anything. My doctor recommended I eat around 100-120 carbs per day and avoid the white, starchy things like white bread and potatoes.

Metformin can take 3-4 weeks to start working, so you won't feel instant results. Once it does, though, you should have an easier time losing weight. The medicine itself won't make you lose weight, though. It simply processes the glucose properly so that you're storing carbs as energy instead of your liver storing it up and releasing it as fat. It basically gets your body to stop fighting you. You need to keep up your end of it by eating properly. :)

thanks for this very very complete answer, I've learned a lot of things here.
  • jcrn1
    Options
    I have quoted your post below because we are so similar. A doc once said I "probably" had PCOS but I had the typical signs:irregular periods, trouble getting pregnant (clomid did the trick), going a long time without periods alternating with heavy ones, pear shaped. I did take metformin, did see endocrinologist. Only Jenny Craig worked, down nearly 30 pounds, VERY slow but steady. Does take effort and I do not eat the Soupitizers or go crazy with free foods. Beets, for example, are high sugar even though they are free. I focus on things like tomatoes, beans, spinach, erc for veggies. Good luck, you can do this. Have you checked your thyroid?
    I have never been diagnosed, but as far as PCOS I do have some syptoms.. Fertility issues, took 5 years to get preg with my daughter, with my son I took clomid to get pregnant. I have the awful painful periods.. I take birth control to stop them completely. I have increased facial hair. I know I have had at least one ovarian cyst burst... now for insulin resistance.. I am constantly fatigued most days, I have the brain fog for a good part of the day. I did have a fasting glucose done which was fine. I am wondering about doing a glucose tolerance test. I am pear shaped. I have lost 50 pounds and have been plateaued for a year.. I am going to see my dr in a few weeks. I have been reading about metformin, should I see an endocrinologist? What is your experience? Curious to see what has worked. Being a year stuck is really frustrating I am to the point to try anything
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had been diagnosed (sort of... just echography) with PCOS (I've never tried to get pregnant so they did not do anything else)
    never got any advices from the doctors about diet and food (really guys ?!!!)

Anyway my point is... it's long, it's is a pain.... but it's possible to loose weight even with PCOS. I have been exercising A LOT since the past two years, and started counting my calories (and nutrionnist help) since the beginning of the year. I'm around 22 pounds less since the beginning of the year.
    I know some people here do low sugar diet, it seems to work pretty well for them. I still eat in the MFP limitq and it seems to work.

Ofcourse why not getting an endocrinologist apointment if that is possible ?
    Good luck and let us know what you decide !
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Thanks good advice. I recently started on Metformin, I felt very nauseous for about a week but it's going away. Need to be stricter about my carbs! I have noticed even a little sugar makes me feel pretty terrible, but my doctor didn't tell me any of that.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say I have PCOS, and have lost weight. I have found the key to it is cutting out sugar and white carbs, and portion control!

I have been doing more exercise to tone up the typical places women with PCOS store fat (the middle-thighs) and thats going quite well.

I have hit a bit of a plateau in recent weeks (though to be fair I have had to break the diet a lot because of summer weddings/ birthday etc) but I think I'm finally breaking through it.

I have lost 25 pounds.

xx
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and pre-diabetes and a slew of other irritating health issues --- BUT --- there is hope!

Here are the things that help me succeed:

- I have found that eating low carb (at least 50 per day up to around 100 per day)
    - lots of water - no flavored or processed additives with water.
    - If you must use sugar, use real sugar and avoid the fake stuff
    - green tea (no sugar, or add in ginger or lemon to your liking. Great antioxidant to help flush out water and boost metabolism)
    - vitamins! I drink Emergen-C daily which does contain 6 carbs per serving but has loads of vitamin payoff
    - Cinnamon (Cinnamon pills can be great to take daily to help stabilize blood sugar levels)
    - low carb protein shakes. I found one at Walmart (I think it's called Pure Protein? in Frosty Chocolate flavor). 3 carbs and 25g protein per scoop.
    - Make your carbs count. Try to get the bulk of your carb intake solely from vegetables. Go light on fruit as they contain natural sugars.
    - When eating veggies and fruit, try to stick to low glycemic index foods. For example, avoid corn, potatoes, bananas, etc.
    - Try and space your meals and snacks out and get into a routine if you aren't already.

I was put on Metformin a year ago and thought it was going to be a great help for me due to the success stories I've read online. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction that left me paralyzed after taking the 2nd pill. So I stopped it and basically have been left to changing my diet in order to try and combat this insulin resistance issue.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have pcos/insulin resistance. Aside from being diagnosed there wasn't really a lot my Dr felt he could/should do for me other than try me on metformin (massive fail- it made me feel AWFUL), and advise me to lose weight.
    I started my family young so we have managed to have five children (and five miscarriages), despite me only ovulating "properly" once or twice a year.
    What has worked for me has been cutting a lot of carbs, sticking to low G.I foods, and avoiding sugar and white flour. (Despite doing that I didn't lose any weight til recently). I used Vitex when I was trying to conceive.
    My biggest problems were the cysts and the very painful periods.
    Feel free to look in my diary if you like, I still eat fairly low carb, and lean towards the lower GI foods. It's become a habit these days!
    I haven't had AF for awhile, not such an issue when not ttc!
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor for blood tests and ultrasound to confirm if you do have PCOS or not (I do have PCOS but am not insulin resistant - I have lost 180+ pounds so you can lose even if you do have PCOS)