Please help! Confused!

Options
Hi again, I'm sorry about the double post. Can a mod delete it? Am I able to? I used a different username

>Hi everyone! My name is val ( will be posting my intro soon) and this is my fourth day into losing weight.
Aside from the obvious- no soda, bread, pasta, junk food- I'm having a bit of trouble and really lookin for some help :/

I'm 5'3". Weigh about 160 pounds. My goal weight is 115 pounds with no "deadline" to lose the weight.
My bmr is ( I think, considering all the online calculators I'm using say something different) is 1545.
I'd like to lose a pound a week

I've been reading online and there's so much conflicting info! Some tell you to stay away from certain foods, others praise the very same foods.

My question is this:
If I eat 1400 calories a day and burn between 400-700 calories a day in 5-7 days, will that show results?

Thank you very much to whomever answers!! I've been so confused :(

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Honestly you are going to get different info from all ends, you need to determine what is right for you. Some people think moderation is the key, others take a more specific diet approach. For myself calories in/ calories out does not work for me. I cant eat crap food while in calorie limits and lose. I have pcos so i need to pay attention to the foods i but in my body. IMO i feel this is very healthy because i am getting my cals from very nutrient dense food and ive been dieting a long time and this has finally worked wonders! But i have done alot of research and that is how i decided upon this way of eating. Alot of people on here dont agree and believe you can eat whatever u want and lose. And this does work, but not for everyone. This is your journey and you have to really decide which route you want to go.

Are you looking for a diet style more along the lines of the eat what u choose to lose or something more structured? I myself converted fairly easily to the way i eat now, but i love veggies, love experimenting with new healthy foods and i love to cook! Are u willing to give up eating the "bad foods" for the most part and look at them more as treats or minimal consumption of these things? Which approach do you think would work best for you? There are other diet styles out there but it seems alot of people tend to do the cals in/ out and the whole food eating, not saying these are the only two ways. If you answer my questions above might be able to give alittle bit better advice :)
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My question is this:
    If I eat 1400 calories a day and burn between 400-700 calories a day in 5-7 days, will that show results?

It would but I would suggest you're eating closer to 1600 if you are planning on doing that much exercise everyday. You dont really want to be taking your net lower than the suggested 1200 cal a day. Your body is more likely to hold onto the fat if it thinks you aren't having enough so it can protect it self.

One thing I would say is get a monitor to really measure what you are potentially burning, iv found the estimates in MFP for exercise are way too high for me personally.

You probably loss between 1lb and 2lbs at that rate.

I'm 5.7", started 168lbs and now 149lbs after 7 weeks. I eat around 1400-1700 depending and always burn off 200-500 exercise each day to bring it back to 1200. It does work but you have to be very committed. I've found pre-logging a day/week ahead the way forward!

Edit: as far as certain foods nothing is off limits as long as its in moderation, but you should reduce the empty cals from the obv chocolate, cakes, sweets, alcohol etc. Final tip: drink lots of water!