73 lbs lost and I have lots of hanging skin already :(

Options
Hi, I have been on MFP since this last march and I have lost 73lbs. I noticed tonight how much hanging skin I have. My arms have lots of excess skin hanging, its actually gross..I hate it! And I noticed my belly is like this also. I guess my question to everyone is have any of you had a sugery to take off the excess skin? How did you feel about it? I still have more weight I want to lose..my goal is to get to 100 lbs lost. Hopefully by next year in March I will have reached my goal. Just thought I would get some thoughts about this from everyone! Thanks! :)

Replies

• cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would also love to hear the responses.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been on MFP since this last march and I have lost 73lbs. I noticed tonight how much hanging skin I have. My arms have lots of excess skin hanging, its actually gross..I hate it! And I noticed my belly is like this also. I guess my question to everyone is have any of you had a sugery to take off the excess skin? How did you feel about it? I still have more weight I want to lose..my goal is to get to 100 lbs lost. Hopefully by next year in March I will have reached my goal. Just thought I would get some thoughts about this from everyone! Thanks! :)

Start lifting weights if you haven't yet, it will help with the skin elasticity.

As for the surgery I am curious also cause I am sure eventually I may have to consider it .But so far I have no problems with my skin and I started in March also :)
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65 so far the most problem is for me is my arms the back part so I have been doing bicep and tricep exercises with weights and for my abs I do crunches, and planks and that seems to help tighten it up and I am 55 so my skin it a little harder to get back to what is use to be. Hope this helps. I can't afford surgery so I will rely on tighten up the muscles and may be that will help. Keep up the good work just think of how healty you are now.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere it may take up to two years for your skin to shrink back you may want to do some research on that for yourself though. Hope this helps. Best Wishes on your goal weight and fitness plans.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    No idea. I'm just starting my journey. I'll have to follow this topic though to see what everyone says.

I don't know if you've ever watched it, but I'm hooked on the Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. And I've seen numerous people on that show want/need the surgery to remove the hanging skin...and most of the time, the surgeons require at least a 40% reduction in your overall weight. *shrugs* But like I said...that's on a show...and who knows how accurate that is (I'd hope pretty accurate since people watch the show). :P
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    The quicker you lose the weight the more hanging skin you will have. Try not to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. Also using a good moisturizer everyday, and especially targeting the problem areas with moisturizer can help. Try a google search for more ideas like these. I had a good site bookmarked with ways to minimize hanging skin when losing weight, but I can't seem to find it right now. If I do find it I will send you the link!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Same here. I started to goto the gym and started to use Creams for Stretch Marks which does help some.
  • HulkSmashFat
    HulkSmashFat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In addition to adding weight training and moisturizing, also exfoliate the problem areas and drink LOADS of water.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    This site has some good ideas although it's not the one I was thinking of:

http://allwomenstalk.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I'm curious to know the answer as well. I lift heavy and do cardio at least three times a week. My belly is my problem area. I've noticed that as I lose fat the skin on my belly is beginning to sag. The rest of my body is firming up. I guess that part of my body will need more time. The irony of it all is that my obliques are starting to show.
  • tcpowell25
    Options

Thanks for this
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights do help, I've also read taking extra Vitamin A and C will help with elasticity.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you were very over weight to begin with then you will have this problem I would talk to your DR. If it is excessive it may be medically necessary to have it removed. Before I get flamed on here I had a friend go from 450 to 170 pounds and had so much excess skin that it was a hygiene issue although she was very clean. Also she would get infections from chaffing. So that is extreme. I think when I first met her she was down to 220 after her first skin removal she was 170. She lives in another state now and I have not seen her since her last surgeries. It took a few and each one there was a good amount of heal time.
  • jenniferillene
    jenniferillene Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definatly all great responses and I appericate them all! I have heard the weight trainning will help, Im not a member of a gym or anything everything I do is at home, which is basically walk and jog on the treadmill but I will to start working with weights more. :) And thank you all for the other ideas as well I am going to try everything..I feel amazing and so much better since losing the weight just dislike all this hangy stuff..lol
  • jenniferillene
    Options

Thanks! Im going to check this out!
  • facecap1
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. Are you working out as you lose weight? And how often?
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenniferillene
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. Are you working out as you lose weight? And how often?

Thank u! And yes definatly! I work out at least 5 days a week but its no weight trainning just walking/jogging :)
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Definitely do weighttraining - I am down to 240 from 279 and noticed a big difference across my shoulders from doing lots of lat pulldowns, shoulder presses and chest presses.

Although I don't have a lot of excess skin I could tell that my body was firming up and the skin starting to 'spring' back
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm doing all the things they say to do and I will see how it goes in a couple of years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!