Combating Triggers - Emotional Eating

Options
Hi, :smile: I am always checking my eating habits, making better choices. Now I am looking into emotional eating (which has played an important role in my world of eat) this has led me to the very topic triggers, which led me to question why certain triggers lead to eating food.

1st I thought about the biggest trigger that has had an impact on my life and led me to some serious eat just eat. (I have a few others which can be classed as common ones, party eat, hand outs etc. that I have learnt to say no easily to if I don’t want to participate). But, I picked on the biggest personal one. Then dug deep WHY? :ohwell:

The result, was to identify the now with my past (deep) (I soon realised as a child I would do as I am told to keep the peace, be dutiful, not get in trouble, to keep all happy, the world happy) when I want to do something else, say no or just don't want to do but, feel I must as a child and now I revert back to as an adult because it’s the done, dutiful, polite way (emotional spin). So WHY? - led me to realise I eat to rebel and feel in control and wallaah not a great pattern. :blushing:

I have kept this pattern up so much the result is a weight issue and the main stuff not focussed on but delayed.

I'm not worried but fascinated with feeling good as I get closer to making healthy eating a permanent change.

I am feeling positive and will be dealing with issues in an anti food way, I think this means being more honest with myself, saying no, maybe later when I can or if I have no choice (like when someone is not well) I should not turn to food but, just deal with it and do not become destructive to myself. :happy:

I share this because I wanted to highlight combating triggers.

I was wondering how you have overcome a trigger, views or suggestion of tools that has help books, tapes, web sites, etc. MOST of all your experience / opinions are welcome. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Monicqua
    Monicqua Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Today I can honestly say although it is early days - I have left behind emotional eating and for sure temptation is all around me. Biscuits at work, sweety shops, bread, etc. which I usually grab and eat like peanuts.

But, now I choose not to eat like that because I like how my new clothes fit, my feet stops hurting, my skin, hair and outlook improves greatly.

It feels great for stress equal stress ... and not food eaty eat.

I would trigger eat if someone close becomes seriously unwell, fear of the unknown, tiredness and I can list others but my main focus is to share the feelings of overcoming triggers and how great I feel for it.

I am one of the lucky ones as others share many tips with me like I can eat what I want but, perhaps try choosing a healthier option.

Example if I want a sandwich choose one that also includes salad etc.

Ever since hearing this that is what I do and I am having fun with it

I believe we can inspire each other by sharing how it feels when a trigger is cooled or vanishes :happy:

Thank you
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of therapy for almost this identical issue. The thing that worked for me was Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
    I can't remember the name of the Dr. who wrote the book, sorry. I've just moved and most of my stuff is still packed.
    He has a Text and a Workbook. It teaches you how to change your thinking about certain situations.
    They're easily Googleable and are available on Amazon. Good Luck.
  • Monicqua
    Monicqua Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeahee, thank you gramacanada, I will google your valued suggestion :smile: