Gall Stones

I was diagnosed with Gall stones in May this year after 2 extremely painful attacks. Since then I have had quite a few attacks and the only thing that helps is the painkillers I was prescribed to dull the pain (as the doctor told me, but at least they help me get the sleep I need).
Anyway over the last week I have 3 attacks within 4 days, the first night I took the painkillers and still couldn't really get comfortable but managed to fall asleep somehow. The second attack on Thursday was awful! My chest felt all tight, my back hurt I couldn't get comfortable couldn't lie down, sit etc, and was boiling hot. This was the first time I have ever been sick from them, I must admit I felt a bit better afterwards but it wasn't nice being violently sick. Then last night I woke up about 1am with stomach pains, and I can still feel a dull ache there today.

I know there is nothing I can take to make it go away, and luckily I have a hospital appointment on Thursday to discuss the options I can go with. But I was wondering If anyone who's got them, had them taken out has any advice on what they did to try and avoid and attack, or what they found set off an attack. I know everyone is different but would love to hear some stories and have some advice as the doctor I saw when I was diagnosed wasn't very helpful!

Thanks

Replies

• Get your gall blatter removed ASAP!!!! I had gall stones and did the same thing with the pain killers, after a year of taking the pain med's once a week the pain stop, 3years latter I had another attack, went to see doc. Gall blatter was rotting inside of me, I came very close to doing damage to my liver, Dr said if I waited another 3 months it would it would have been major surgery and 3 to 5 weeks in hospital I was only 35 at the time. Good luck
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    I've had my gallbladder removed. They like to take them out, like a band-aid solution Mine was really infected and needed to come out. And while you can live without a gallbladder, you do actually need it.

Try to ease off any greasy or spicy foods. The pain you get is when one of the stones blocks the bile duct.
  • imjessly
    also:

http://www.gallbladderattack.com/

was a good website, especially to get some relief before (if you do end up having it removed)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    I had mine out at the first sign of trouble, not even worth the pain. It can become so inflamed and infected that they will have to do emergency surgery and I wanted mine to be in a controlled situation. Stop greasy foods, and spicy foods, and sorry but stop the bulk fiber too. You should be on a very bland diet until you get it out. And eat small meals, even if you eat more meals during the day but they should be small.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    i had mine out in april this year it's a ok op they do it all keyhole now! out of hospital 1-2 days later! :wink:

Try to stay RIGHT away from any fat in the diet at all!(even tho thats what started mine off in the 1st place!!! lol
    also keep a food diary and you will find certain foods will kick start a attk! mine was spicy! :sad:
    good luck x
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Get your gall blatter removed ASAP!!!! I had gall stones and did the same thing with the pain killers, after a year of taking the pain med's once a week the pain stop, 3years latter I had another attack, went to see doc. Gall blatter was rotting inside of me, I came very close to doing damage to my liver, Dr said if I waited another 3 months it would it would have been major surgery and 3 to 5 weeks in hospital I was only 35 at the time. Good luck

My situation was similar, only I didn't take the painkillers. My gall bladder was necrotic, and had fused to my liver. I was in the hospital for a week.

OP,

Fatty foods is what triggered my attacks. The only side effects I've had from getting the gall bladder taken out is that I occasionally produce a little too much bile (as the gall bladder usually helps regulate this), so I have to rush to the bathroom. But this has been limited in the last several weeks since I started eating better. Used to happen once a day, now it's maybe twice a week.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    I was diagnosed with gallstones 6 years ago, was told to eat low fat, I eliminated meat and dairy from my diet for unrelated reasons, eat fairly low fat and I haven't had an issue since. I eat a pretty spicy diet too but fat and for some reason, especially animal fat really did it to me. I'm guessing at some point my gall bladder may need to come out though.
  • imjessly
    My doctor explained after that 1 of 3 things happen after you have it removed
    1. (and apparently most commonly), your body 'MacGyvers' a gallbladder with your bile duct
    2. You slow your bile production, which is easily remedied by taking bile salts to help with digestion
    3. You produce the same amount of bile, but as its got nowhere to store anymore it dumps straight into your small intestine, which makes you rush to the toilet about 30 mins after eating a meal.
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Hi Louise! I too had several debilitating attacks before finally having mine removed. It was only after it was gone, that I realized how poorly I had felt for so long. I understand that everyone's experience will be different. But I have never looked back. I have felt great ever since without having to restrict anything from my diet. So ya, in essence, the only thing that tells me it is gone, is the fact that I feel great! Good luck with whatever happens, and I hope you are able to get in sooner than later to have your issue addressed. And in the meantime- you may want to push fattier foods aside. In my experience- they definitley were the culprits in triggering attacks. :-) :-)
    (And for the record, I don't supplement with bile salts, and haven't experienced urgent toilet needs after eating.):bigsmile:
  • Alohathin
    1. (and apparently most commonly), your body 'MacGyvers' a gallbladder with your bile duct
    2. You slow your bile production, which is easily remedied by taking bile salts to help with digestion
    3. You produce the same amount of bile, but as its got nowhere to store anymore it dumps straight into your small intestine, which makes you rush to the toilet about 30 mins after eating a meal.

Ah, is that how it works. I'm a number 3, then.
  • imjessly

Ah, is that how it works. I'm number 3, then.

No fun! I found a digestive zyme from a healthfood shop (make sure it's one that doesn't have any bile salts) that seemed to help a lot.
    But since then, the further along i've come in getting fitter, healthier and eating more wholesome fiberous food, the less trouble i've had with it all in general :drinker:
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Had my gall bladder removed 7 years ago, best thing i could have done. I felt great afterwards , and no more problems.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Gallbladder attacks are the worse! I compared them to labor, but was really worse than labor! I actually was having an attack and went to the emergency room. They admitted me and had it removed the next day. The Dr. said that mine was rotting and that gangrene would have soon set in. Best decision that was ever made for me. I have two small scars and have never had any problems since having it removed. Good luck OP and I hope you find relief soon!
  • Alohathin

Ah, is that how it works. I'm number 3, then.

No fun! I found a digestive zyme from a healthfood shop (make sure it's one that doesn't have any bile salts) that seemed to help a lot.
    But since then, the further along i've come in getting fitter, healthier and eating more wholesome fiberous food, the less trouble i've had with it all in general :drinker:

I know what you mean. My digestion is much better since I started eating nutritionally. Still happens occasionally when I eat my fatty foods like avocados and nuts, though.
  • louise_608
    louise_608 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to no I'm not alone. And for people who know what it's like to go through an attack and not have people who go ah poor you, I hear gall stones are supposed to be really painful. Will definitely cut down on the fat in my diet as looking at it I think this is a main cause in an attack.
    Fingers crossed I am offered to have my gall bladder removed, think I'd rather live with a few scars and maybe needing to go to loo quickly after eating than go through these pains!
  • You need the surgery right away. If they are making you sick your gall bladder is getting infected and I remember that indescribable pain. It was worse than child birth. The surgery is simple, small scar in your navel and a lot of relief. Good luck. All who have been there wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  • I started having gall stone attacks when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2003. I reduced fat and cut back my diet quit a bit. After she was born I continued to have attacks, even when I was eating next to no fat. After I had an attack where I actually found myself considering using a spoon to dig it out, I decided to let the surgeon do his work. Surgery was a same day event, I was in and then out later that day. The first 6 months or so took some adjusting, I did have to watch how much fat and greasy food I ate or I would find myself in the rest room more frequently than I liked. Now, 8 years later, I can say that I don't miss it all. I have no problems whatsoever and am happily pain free!
  • Had mine out years ago.....Wish I had known some of the remedies available now...there are liver cleanses that help remove the stones that clog up the gallbladder and cause the problems...just google it...there is a wealth of knowledge that may prevent surgery...
    I still can not eat greasy foods especially pork...It kills me with the same type pain....I also gained a bunch of weight...
    Good luck, I hope the clean diet will help..
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    I just got back from the hospital after having what turned out to be a gallstone attack. Someone said it was worse than childbirth and I will totally agree OMG the pain under my rib cage and in my back was so horrible. I have to call the surgeon on Monday to schedule surgery and I am not looking forward to this. Freaking out is more like it!