Totally discouraged.

Options
I tried to do some strength training today and felt my motivation get crushed. I have no stamina, and when I'm doing my push-ups or planks I just feel so darn weak.

I know it's day one, and I can't expect myself to be knocking off 100 push-ups or holding planks for 10 minutes or anything, but I still can't help but feel so disappointed in myself! It feels like I'll never improve, because I can barely do five push-ups period!

Did anyone else feel this way when they started strength training? How long did it take until you felt like you were making some headway?

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :flowerforyou:

I completely understand. I'm not sure what kind of regime you're doing - but what really worked for me was the 100 push-up challenge.

http://hundredpushups.com/

It was so awesome watching myself progress from 2 - 4 pushups to 60+ in just a few weeks. I injured my wrist and had to stop, so I'm not where I was - but it IS very encouraging when you get quick results from a program like that. :bigsmile:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Progress takes time. One step forward and sometimes, one step back. You need to set realistic goals or else you'll lose your motivation really, really fast. Maybe instead of focusing on how many push ups you can do, try doing as many as you can in 1 min and increase it by one or two the next time, etc.

I started working out with a trainer in September, and I still have to do girl push ups :p. But at least I can run a couple of miles now! :) So set small goals and focus on the fact that you are getting healthier and stronger, and you will see results.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    I think your expecations were high to start off with. That is okay. You have a baseline of what you can and cant do now. Work from there. Strive to do one more per session, hold the plank a bit longer than what you did. You will get there. Dont get discouraged, everyone that starts has to start somewhere. Whether it is no pushups and 10 seconds in a plank position or 5 pushups on your knees. It will typically take 2-3 weeks for you to notice gains, but you will see gains. Keep doing your best.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Mini goals-
    One of my goals was to be able to do 1 military style push-up (my husband is Army).- He didn't let me go the girly route I wasn't allowed to let my arms be far apart it had to be perfect grrrr.

It took time but I did it correct form and everything then I was able to push to do more.

Like I said mini goals.

Planks suck!! hold for 30 seconds if you can't hold for a minute.

You gotta start somewhere if your getting discouraged on day one you have a really long road ahead of you.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know my expectations were high (I didn't REALLY expect to be able to 100 push-ups though!) it's encouraging to hear from other people :D

Hannah Bannana - I checked out that 100 push-ups website and it seems like a good plan!

mrsyac2--you're a machine for doing military push ups, they are so daunting! I love doing planks, I can hold a regular one for about 45s, which isn't too bad, but the side planks MURDER me (especially becuase one side is much weaker than the other)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I tried to do some strength training today and felt my motivation get crushed. I have no stamina, and when I'm doing my push-ups or planks I just feel so darn weak.

I know it's day one, and I can't expect myself to be knocking off 100 push-ups or holding planks for 10 minutes or anything, but I still can't help but feel so disappointed in myself! It feels like I'll never improve, because I can barely do five push-ups period!

Did anyone else feel this way when they started strength training? How long did it take until you felt like you were making some headway?

Do you really HAVE to do exercises like push ups and planks? Maybe you'd stay more motivated if you did some FUN exercises! :wink: I NEVER did any "painful/hard" exercises like that, and still managed to lose "most" of the weight that I wanted to. :bigsmile: To me, exercise doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know my expectations were high (I didn't REALLY expect to be able to 100 push-ups though!) it's encouraging to hear from other people :D

Hannah Bannana - I checked out that 100 push-ups website and it seems like a good plan!

mrsyac2--you're a machine for doing military push ups, they are so daunting! I love doing planks, I can hold a regular one for about 45s, which isn't too bad, but the side planks MURDER me (especially becuase one side is much weaker than the other)

I wouldn't say I am a machine its alot of hard work and determination.
    I have a few mini goals a real big one for me is being able to do pull ups without assistance.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Do you really HAVE to do exercises like push ups and planks? Maybe you'd stay more motivated if you did some FUN exercises! :wink: I NEVER did any "painful/hard" exercises like that, and still managed to lose "most" of the weight that I wanted to. :bigsmile: To me, exercise doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:

I actually enjoyed doing planks and push-ups, especially when I was more proficient at them. I swim, which is the most fun activity in the world, and do yoga and jog (occasionally) but I know that building muscle is important and I would actually like to build some strength and have some muscle. I just have to be more patient and work hard, and i'll be back in fighting shape.

mrsyac2 -- how long did it take you to be able to do the military push ups? I'd love to someday be able to do pull-ups as well, but I think that's a ways into the future for me.