Need help with proper nutrition

Hi All

I know I can exercise, but I need to eat properly also and I need good list of veggies that I can

1. eat raw in a salad
2. that will keep for a good while
3 or some veggies that can be part of meal that will keep and that I can digest easily.

Any advice?

Replies

• I guess it depends on how long you mean when you say "a good while", and does this include refrigeration?

- Things that are good in a salad: tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli
    - Things that keep awhile: things that grow in the dirt, carrots, potatoes, etc. seem to last the longest. The above vegetables will keep longer if you refrigerate them.

Eating more vegetables is a good first step for most. If you aren't used to eating them, try as many as you can and see which ones you like. In addition to the above, I like soybeans (edamame) which you can buy frozen and the cook in the microwave. Green Beans, corn, peas etc can all be found as canned items, so shelf life is quite long. I would say don't be afraid to experiment.

Another option for "salads" is if you have a powerful blender, you can blend them along with some fruits to make a nice smoothie. This way you can sneak in the nutrition of vegetables that may not enjoy raw, without tasting them!
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Well, we like to buy in bulk to save some money, but I know that there are some things that you just can't do that with such as bread and lead spinach( you have to eat that within the first 2 or 3 days before it starts to go bad). Green beans are pretty cool. I have never thought about using a blender for this. Got any good combos for that?
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Fresh veggies you can't buy in bulk unless you're going to freeze them. I've tried and I end up throwing them away- or doing a massive amount of freezing when I least have the time :(. I try to buy most of my other groceries in bulk, but not these. I usually have celery, carrots, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, broccoli, pea pods, and sometimes jicama (for a change) around. Any and all of this can go in a salad. I also have these cut up in the frig for a quick snack. Everyone in the family eats them. I have veggie dip for the kids, but I typically don't use it.

I also buy a lot of frozen veggies. These are a godsend! I can just pull them out of the freezer and nuke them and they're ready in a few minutes. These you CAN buy in bulk. I typically buy mine at Sam's. I stay away from canned veggies because of sodium content.