neck measurements

Options
This is mainly for my own personal insight, but I am wondering why this site asks for you to measure your neck (in addition to waist and hips)? Is there some significance in taking this measurement? If I was a football player I could see wanting a strong, perhaps larger neck, but am not aware of why this measurement is asked for. Anyone know? Thanks in advance....

Replies

• jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Haha! I thought the same thing and then figured out I could delete that measurement - as it doesn't apply to me/I am not worried about my neck size! I added upper arm, upper thigh, bmi, and bust to my measurements. So, bust, waist, hips, upper arm, upper thigh, and bmi. That is what I want to measure monthly.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise you could change what you measure because neck size doesn't matter to me either.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Larger neck size in comparison to the rest of your body is one of the risk signs for heart disease. Waist and hips mean absolutely nothing other than being one method for determining risk for heart disease, also.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    When I was 30 lbs heavier I had an 18 1/2 inch neck. Since losing weight I lost about an inch and a half off of my neck. Its just another way to track loss of fat and weight really.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Neck measurements are used in most of the calculations to estimate body fat which are in turn used to estimate your BMR which in turn estimates the calories you should be eating. I actually do not think that MFP uses the BMR model that has BF as an input so I am not sure why it asks for it specifically. You can always change what you measure if you do not find it useful.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Wait, you can change them?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wait, you can change them?

If you go tonthe check-in page at the bottom there is a 'track additional measurements' link
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well I love that I have lost inches in my neck! But the problem I have had is I measured then remeasured and entered the information, and the first set of measurements are no where to be found. Does anyone know how to look up past measurements from neck waist ect.?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Well I love that I have lost inches in my neck! But the problem I have had is I measured then remeasured and entered the information, and the first set of measurements are no where to be found. Does anyone know how to look up past measurements from neck waist ect.?

Go to your "My Home" tab and click into "Check-In" - at the bottom of the table there is an 'edit previous measurements' link - click on it and it will give you your history.
  • bethmanderfield
    bethmanderfield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can’t figure out how to enter the measurements on MyFitnessPal pal. Can anyone help me out