Keeping on track while on travel

Options
I started this program on 1 Jan at 236.5 and a week ago today I left on a business trip to train troops preparing to deploy to the "sandbox" and on the day I left my weight was down to 204. I was really concerned because I had developed some terrifically bad sanck habits on travel to occupy my time either while waiting for airplanes or driving my car. Imagine your own and that's me x2.

I stay at hotels that have exercise equipment that I can use and I have, in the past chosen places that have free breakfasts which usually meant waffles, sweets and such. This time I took my own cereal and just used the breakfast bar milk. I purchased a case of water to put in my room and rental car and I bought some oranges, apples and carrots to put in the room fridge to cover snacks or lunches.

Lunches on an Army installation are always tough since it's usually Taco Bell, Popeye's chicken, some oriental buffet, and Burger King. I know what I used to do with my eating in the past so this time I managed to pick out healthier things both on the installation and off.

What I found very frustrating is the amount of sodium/salt that foods are prepared with and I had to ask at dinner that no seasonings be put on my steak or fish. I was really concerned about gaining weight because of what I felt like on this trip but when I checked this morning on the scales at home I am down to 203.5.

I didn't lose as much as I had been but I am very pleased that I was able to keep up my exercise routine. I discovered that it was hard to adjust to an exercise bike after so long on my ski machine -- it took a different mental outlook to get things working for me but I did it. When I got home and worked out this morning it was slow going but I did my complete routine.

Well, I leave tomorrow for another unit location to help them prepare for their deployment and now I know I can still survive without tripping over myself along the way.

Just something I thought I would share. Bob

Replies

• rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I started this program on 1 Jan at 236.5 and a week ago today I left on a business trip to train troops preparing to deploy to the "sandbox" and on the day I left my weight was down to 204. I was really concerned because I had developed some terrifically bad sanck habits on travel to occupy my time either while waiting for airplanes or driving my car. Imagine your own and that's me x2.

I stay at hotels that have exercise equipment that I can use and I have, in the past chosen places that have free breakfasts which usually meant waffles, sweets and such. This time I took my own cereal and just used the breakfast bar milk. I purchased a case of water to put in my room and rental car and I bought some oranges, apples and carrots to put in the room fridge to cover snacks or lunches.

Lunches on an Army installation are always tough since it's usually Taco Bell, Popeye's chicken, some oriental buffet, and Burger King. I know what I used to do with my eating in the past so this time I managed to pick out healthier things both on the installation and off.

What I found very frustrating is the amount of sodium/salt that foods are prepared with and I had to ask at dinner that no seasonings be put on my steak or fish. I was really concerned about gaining weight because of what I felt like on this trip but when I checked this morning on the scales at home I am down to 203.5.

I didn't lose as much as I had been but I am very pleased that I was able to keep up my exercise routine. I discovered that it was hard to adjust to an exercise bike after so long on my ski machine -- it took a different mental outlook to get things working for me but I did it. When I got home and worked out this morning it was slow going but I did my complete routine.

Well, I leave tomorrow for another unit location to help them prepare for their deployment and now I know I can still survive without tripping over myself along the way.

Just something I thought I would share. Bob
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Congratulation!!

i know by experience that it is hard to keep on track while traveling because you are totaly out of your routine. i went on a 4 day trip last week and came back with 2 pounds more. the thing is i lost all of it in the next couple of days without too much effort so it might have been something else. (probably the sodium overload).

with all that temptation you been really good and that really shows that you have a strong will. if you can accomplish that. you can do ANYTHING.

Good luck with the other trip !
    may
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success at maintaining a healthy lifestyle on the road. And thank you for the travel tips I would have never thought to bring my own cereal.
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Bob! I think that's fantastic that you were able to adjust your eating on that trip and maintain your weight. I have total faith that you will be able to do it again. It's all about planning ahead and making good choices. It sounds like you've made some great life changes to help you in both those areas.
    Good luck on your trip!
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I was away 3 of the last 3 weeks. It is difficult to maintain eating healthy when you have to eat out, but making some of the right choices helped me to maintain while away. I also bought bottled water to keep in my hotel room, also you may want to try Fiber One bars. Not only are they really tasty, but fills you up for a snack. Yes, they are 140 calories, but loaded with fiber. Oranges were also a great choice. I also had yogurt. I found that keeping these items helped me through breakfast and lunch then had a healthy dinner. Keep up the good work and thank you for doing what you're doing with the troops!
  • conny1967
    conny1967 Posts: 21
    Options
    Congrats, I know exactly what you mean by travelling. I travel a lot for my job and yes, I do take my own food when I can. Just this week I was away for three days and weighed in this morning, I dropped three pounds, yahoo. I like yourself try to stay at a hotel that has a mini fridge and a microwave and then when I arrive I head out to the local grocery store and stock the fridge with foods that are healthy. I like to think it is not a diet but a lifestyle change, one change that is for the better. Again congrats and keep up the change in lifestyle.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome:drinker: If you really want something we will make it work no matter what the situation is. Keep up the good work!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Congrats on thinking ahead!

I am traveling this next week for work and bringing my own food as well. I won't have any exercise equipment, but I can use my new Polar heart monitor watch to check cals burned through work, and I plan on bringing my laptop with some exercise dvds. I hope I have success like everyone else has!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks rheston for all the help with the troops. Every time I go on a hotel buissness trip with my bf. He must think I am crazy but I open up the cooler and raid the freezer and fridge and the cupboards. But I have come to realize that it has to be done. The first few times when I only took a little bit of stuff I ended up raiding the vending machine and feeling bad that I was feeding my kids junk so now every time we go I bring the cereal veggies wraps chicken dressing and popcorn. While we are there we eat out(or take out) less than once a day. It really helps balance everything out.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Congrats on successfully managing things while on the road! :drinker:

I'm thrilled to hear of your success as it gives me hope for when I'll be traveling. Only thing is my travel will involve visiting family (which ALWAYS means food -- which becomes personal when it's prepared by a loved one.)

Here's to your continued success and safe travels.

:flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Wow, so many of us with the same issues!

Regarding the cereal. I took ziploc sandwich bags and measured out my cereal (grape nuts or wheat chex) for breakfast one per bag and then put the group of bags in a gallon ziploc so that they wouldn't rupture and spill all over the place. It packed neatly into my suitcase and traveled better than a box of cereal would.