Help buying weights?

Options
I've just got my copy of NROLFW and have started reading it but I need some help with what equipment to buy. I'm the UK and don't have a gym membership so will be working out at home (I just can't afford the gym).

Can anyone tell me what I need as a bare minimum to try this program? I was thinking a gym ball and a set of weights like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001FZ9ECE/ref=mp_s_a_23?pi=75x75&qid=1346520044&sr=1-23

Currently I've only got girlie 2kg dumbells and I don't want to spend a fortune. I might have to put this off depending on cost but I would appreciate your help, thanks!

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you can't afford a gym? The Pure 24/hour gyms in my area (Edinburgh) go for as little as £12.99 per month with no contract, or at least that is what the billboards say. Just throwing that out there as I think setting up a home gym would be very expensive.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You only need dumbells to start. I have variable dumbells from bowflex but they are expensive, they make changing weight a matter of seconds which I really like since I d o my routine fast to keep my heart rate up. Only buy 15-20 ibs but see it you can include a 2x2.5lbs good to step up slowly.

I also have a adjustable bench with preacher curls, lat stand and quad seat, but a simple bench is all you need

Over time I got a Olympic bar and weights, an adjustable kettle bell and a weight rack. You don't need any of them

Buy gloves !
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you can't afford a gym? The Pure 24/hour gyms in my area (Edinburgh) go for as little as £12.99 per month with no contract, or at least that is what the billboards say. Just throwing that out there as I think setting up a home gym would be very expensive.

I have looked at gyms but the ones that would be practical for me to go to are expensive. I live in Kent which doesn't help as everything is expensive here! I have a long drive to work each day and I don't think I can committ to the gym. I have found it easier to stick to working out by doing it at home. The other problem is that I'd be hitting a gym at peak times (6pm ish) and in the past places being busy has stopped me being able to work out the way I want.
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got weights from gumtree, there are always folk giving up on exercise or had the thought and got stuff and never used it.

also you can get resistance bands, i got a set from ebay to mess around with when doing cardiac and you do feel it and they are pretty cheap.

I workout from home due to crazy shifts and have alot of gym equipment now and its typical that they are nowbuilding a massive one at the end of my street
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    olympic barbell set, power rack, bench.
  • NotThePest
    Options
    You may want to try Body-weight Conditioning, using your own body as a weight, http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=pd_sim_b_2. The link is not UK Amazon, it is USA.