Why is my weight stuck?!

Options
It seems it won't go down any further. I know at times we hit plateaus... but with my weight it just keeps going up and down from day to day. One day im 215lbs the next im 212lbs. Then back to 215lbs, and back down the next again. It's almost stuck at 215lbs. I'm not changing anything i'm doing from day to day.... Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    It seems it won't go down any further. I know at times we hit plateaus... but with my weight it just keeps going up and down from day to day. One day im 215lbs the next im 212lbs. Then back to 215lbs, and back down the next again. It's almost stuck at 215lbs. I'm not changing anything i'm doing from day to day.... Does this happen to anyone else?
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    Maybe you should change things up. Try and eat a different amount of calories every day. I will eat 1250 one day and 1300 the next and then 1200.
    And change up your exercices.
    But just keep at it you will get there!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would quit weighing every day. Also, I second mixing things up. Experiment with adding a few more or a few less (but not too few) calories. Change your exercise, or increase your exercise time. Also, make sure you're being honest with your calorie recording and your exercise tracking. One of my big things was I overestimated my "effort level" on my workouts.

Also, it's important to remember that your body adjusts all the time. My trainer once told me that you're not really "stuck" until at least a month of diet and exercise changes. Our body doesn't work as quickly as we'd like it to sometimes.

But, it works terrifically well! I was stuck three major times (for 2-3 months along my way) I think some bodies are just more stubborn than others. :flowerforyou:
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    oh yes, I was stuck at 147-149 for a month and this week I went from 148 to 143 in one week, you body is just adjusting.
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you are working out some weeks more than others, you may be building more muscle at times and of course muscle weighs more than fat. Remember that you need to build muscle to increase your metabolism. Cardio is good but if you are doing only cardio you are going to be stuck. Start a couple of reps using cans of veggies as weights (if you don't have any). Don't use too heavy of weights 1 to 4 lbs is enough to help build muscle to help burn fat! Also, I recommended to someone yesterday, I heard that you can eat only chicken and broccoli for the whole day and it will help boost your metabolism to break the barrier. You may try it! :oP

Good luck! Keep your head up. Whether or not you are losing weight, you are eating much healthier and that is a step towards success!
  • Catherinex
    Options

Yes has been happening to me except I stay same weight or drop 1/2 pound then back again. I dont exercise and have managed to lose total 16 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm not going to change anything except try be a little more active as and when I can. Will just continue same as I have been doing and hopefully the weight loss will resume. If no change by wednesday I am going to increase my cal intake for a few days just to see what happens (have read on other posts peeps have done this and the weight starts dropping again..sounds kinda weird but if it works im not gonna argue^^).
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    Are you drinking your water?:drinker:
    It never fails, if I don't drink my 8 cups of water each day, I usually gain a pound the next day.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    yeah I drink 2 litres a day. I don't know. It just seems that I can't go any lower than 210lbs ever! arrrrg. But I will keep going... Takes time right? Wish it could be done fast, but at least working for it is more of an adventure and accomplishment. hahaha
  • Carrie6o6
    Options

Yes has been happening to me except I stay same weight or drop 1/2 pound then back again. I dont exercise and have managed to lose total 16 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm not going to change anything except try be a little more active as and when I can. Will just continue same as I have been doing and hopefully the weight loss will resume. If no change by wednesday I am going to increase my cal intake for a few days just to see what happens (have read on other posts peeps have done this and the weight starts dropping again..sounds kinda weird but if it works im not gonna argue^^).

Im scared to eat more than 1200cals a day unless I exercise :-S I could try that, and maybe weight training like mindy suggested. i just started all of this 3 weeks ago though, will a plateau come so soon??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options

______________________________________________________________________________
    (The following is new.....It just got enclosed in the quote accidentally) :ohwell:

Carrie

I was stuck for two months at the same weight around Christmas time. I finally started eating more, and exercising more, and changing the things I do. For instance, if all you have done is walk - add hills or carry a backpack with 10-15 pounds of weight in it. Also, use different muscles. Take a kickboxing class, or yoga, or aerobics, or buy a workout DVD.

Your body becomes very efficient in performing the same tasks repetitively, and it will be harder for you to lose weight if you only do one type of exercise.

The most bang for your buck is weight training. There are many websites that you can use which will give you weights routines and even things you can do at home without having to buy any new equipment.

Stay with it - be creative. YOU can DO IT. :smile:

Cheryl AKA cmriverside.