Any die-hard Grilling and/or Smoke Masters among us?

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
There is something wonderful about this, I just cant explain it.... I love a good grilled or smoked meat. I have enjoyed committing to paper my spice rubs, my sauces, my sopping solutions...

Tomorrow Ive got plans to have both grill and smoker going (hickory mixed with apple) for brisket, whole roaster chickens, two massively huge pork butts and homemade brats!!!!!

Tons of skewered vegetables, will do both roasted garlic and smoked garlic (bought 5lbs!), and an array of salads, picklings, deviled eggs and whatnot!

Anyone else bask in the glory of all that is grilled or smoked?

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No big plans for me except a road trip to your house for some BBQ. Should I bring anything?

I just got some chicken brats I am excited to try.

I love cooking too, whether it's on fire or inside cooking. I am terrible about recipes though and I NEVER remember to write any of it down so it's hard to recreate recipes precisely. I REALLY need to get a smoker but with the charcoal and gas grills on the patio I don't have any room left right now.
  • cramernh
    Options
    No big plans for me except a road trip to your house for some BBQ. Should I bring anything?

I just got some chicken brats I am excited to try.

I love cooking too, whether it's on fire or inside cooking. I am terrible about recipes though and I NEVER remember to write any of it down so it's hard to recreate recipes precisely. I REALLY need to get a smoker but with the charcoal and gas grills on the patio I don't have any room left right now.

You could easily work with that charcoal grill for smoking purposes..... hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink.... Matter of fact, Alton Brown did an awesome Good Eats episode on how it could be done.... 8-)

ummmmmm Yes.. the biggest bottle of Patron Silver Tequila - with about a lb of limes, please? LOL
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I grill about 4 times a week year round. It helps to always have the weather for it. It keeps the heat out of the house, fewer pots and pans and is most importantly quick! Oh, and I just love everything that comes off the grill. Tonight is steak and shrimp with grilled veggies and farro. I amy even grill some peaches for dessert. Time to start the balsamic reduction....
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of smoked tri tip, ribs, heck, anything smoked :-)
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do several different things as far as grilling and smoking..... But this watching what I eat is harder on it. You know the making salami, ribs and some other smoked sausages. :smile:

Mark
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm a fan of hickory smoke. When I fire up the grill I cook a few different proteins. I really like lamb chops, salmon. chicken breasts and flank steak. When they come off the grill i freeze them and thaw what I need through the week. Instant meal.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Ive already made up a batch of ancho, arbol and pasilla peppers all nice and dry-roasted. Looking forward to grinding them up here in the next few minutes. Been taking a few minute breaks here and there composing the rubs, pastes and marinades..... and then will clean up the meats... found a brisket that was GORGEOUS - doesnt need alot of 'cleaning' either and it has a good meat-to-fat ratio!
  • gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow we will be smoking up some pork ribs w/ a lot of garlic, pepper and lime juice. With that we will have potato salad, rice & gandules, a mix of fresh fruit and everybody wants peach cobbler for dessert. I'll see if I break down and make it. Diffently a cheat Day !
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Die-hard, No.

But, I've previously SUCKED at grilling and I made it a point this year to learn how to do it right so I didn't have to turn in my man-card.

I've been grilling a BUTTLOAD of stuff. Chicken, fish, pork tenderloin, turkey tenderloin, burgers, steak, brats, etc.

Experimented with some sauces (try honey, sriracha, yellow mustard mixed and slap that on some skin-in chicken drumsticks). Bought some smoke chips but haven't tried them yet (sorry Taso).
    Bought a meat thermometer, love it.

/end random story.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We normally have a Big Cookout once a summer. Smoked Brisket, 2 Pork Shoulders, and Chicken Breasts (to make sure there is something for everyone). I also make Homemade Sauces, Rolls, and sides. We smoke a turkeys as soon as they go on sale for Thanksgiving and I generally use Apple and Hickory but Cherry is yummy too. I also smoke my Eye of Round at least once a month because its so good.
  • danaweston
    Options
    yes we will be grilling salmon steak and bratts
    we have an amazing smoker too but this weekend is for grilling
    :love:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    couple racks o' ribs are getting smoked on monday. apple wood is the only way to go with pork.

here's the last batch. hopefully this round comes out as amazing.

2012-05-27_13-44-55_696.jpg

2012-05-27_17-32-14_644.jpg
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    couple racks o' ribs are getting smoked on monday. apple wood is the only way to go with pork.

oh....damn, that looks good!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I just took my pants off.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I loooove to grill! I will put anything on the grill too....except maybe pasta lol. I learned everything I know from my dad, who is quite the grillmaster. My fav thing to make is smoked Cuban pork with plantains. A close second is boneless ribs with applewood (I know boneless ribs sound crazy but we started making them because hubby's dad couldn't eat regular ones with his dentures...and they're actually quite yummy!)
    I also like to do kabobs, chicken wings, pork chops, chicken breasts, whole chickens, veggies, potatoes, I've even grilled apples. I love to grill.
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    I was a member of the Bones Brothers competitive B.B.Q. team for 3 years. We placed in the top 10 using my b.b.q. sauce & last year I took 1 st place at a event with my chicken. Had fun competing in Mn. Ia. & Tx. I am not competing this year, and am getting ready for next week end when my family will get together to make Waszo's Salsa. We will make between 70 & 80 gallons in two days.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Those ribs look unreal good.
    I grill everyday in our house.
    Tomorrow we are smoking a pork butt for Monday.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I loooove to grill! I will put anything on the grill too....except maybe pasta lol. I learned everything I know from my dad, who is quite the grillmaster. My fav thing to make is smoked Cuban pork with plantains. A close second is boneless ribs with applewood (I know boneless ribs sound crazy but we started making them because hubby's dad couldn't eat regular ones with his dentures...and they're actually quite yummy!)
    I also like to do kabobs, chicken wings, pork chops, chicken breasts, whole chickens, veggies, potatoes, I've even grilled apples. I love to grill.
    I have boiled pasta on the grill. I will grill anything. Even made a tomato sauce with meatballs and sausage on the grill.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Anyone willing to share any dry rub and wet mop recipes to help a smoking novice out?

Early this summer I picked up a Char-Griller Akorn kamado grill (similar to Big Green Egg) than can hold under 250F almost all day or blast furnace like 700F which makes me want to try some wood fired pizza. I can grill with it just fine, but dry rub bbq is something I've never done.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Those ribs look unreal good.
    I grill everyday in our house.
    Tomorrow we are smoking a pork butt for Monday.

be careful grilling IN the house. i heard that's dangerous!