Ear infection

Options
GTOgirl1969
GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
I got water in my ear about a week ago when I took a bath and my ear has been hurting like hell ever since. I've tried everything I know- peroxide, alcohol to dry up the water, even antibiotic ear drops and nothing is working. The whole side of my face hurts and I can scarcely hear out of that ear. Anyone got any home remedies that work? I'm utterly miserable and I feel like crud.:sick:

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    Options
    My only advice is go to the Dr. It might be something that could perminantly damage your hearing.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Please do go to the doctor. And don't use those ear drops unless they were specifically prescribed for this ear infection...it could be that you don't need those antibiotics and could be setting yourself up for a superinfection (over-using antibiotics leads to more drug-resistant bugs). I would say that a week is long enough for you to be in pain, and since it has spread to your face you should definitely go to the doctor. Best of luck and hope your ear gets better soon!

PS- If you decide not to, don't keep putting things in it or trying to clean it out...just let it be so it won't be further damaged :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    If its been a week, you should see a doctor. That is enough time for an infection to brew. As for home remedies in this case, I'm not sure what to offer. Olive oil is great for soothing the pain and keeping the canal moist. But if you have pain the way you described, it may be too far gone by now.

In the future, if you get water in your ear: use a hair dryer, hold it an arms length from your ear on low. Aim it directly at your ear for a few seconds. Move it away and come back. Don't aim it directly into the ear for more than a few seconds at a time so that you don't burn yourself. And make sure you are aiming from more than 12 inches away. (Your ear canal is very sensitive, so be very careful.)

I don't advocate medicine, but in the case of an ear infection, you don't want to mess around. Take it from me. I had a number of ear issues when I was young, and I was almost completely deaf. I still have problems, but I never take it lightly. I also like ear candeling....BUT....have it done by a professional. I've seen people seriously injure themselves by not knowing what they are doing.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I got water in my ear about a week ago when I took a bath and my ear has been hurting like hell ever since. I've tried everything I know- peroxide, alcohol to dry up the water, even antibiotic ear drops and nothing is working. The whole side of my face hurts and I can scarcely hear out of that ear. Anyone got any home remedies that work? I'm utterly miserable and I feel like crud.:sick:

I just noticed that you said you can scarcely hear out of that ear. Definately see a doctor. Make sure the membrane is not ruptured, and don't put anything else in there! Especially alcohol! That is just irritating it.