Supremely Supreme Pizza

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
So I was looking at how many calories, typically, are in a slice of pizza. It looks like 400-600 from any of my favorite restaurants.

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY TO EAT PIZZA!

I am going to find out tomorrow. I bought ingredients tonight to make pizza, and by my prediction, I can eat 1/4 of the pizza for the same amount of calories as a slice of chain 'za.

Stay tuned for recipe! I'll post it if it's any good.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza at home using the Boboli wheat pizza crust, boboli sauce, mozzarella chese and lean ground turkey, and it was about 324 calories for 1/4 of the pizza.

If I'd of gone for veggies instead of turkey it would've been a bit less - the turkey was about 85 calories.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I got a thin crust pizza, with lots of fresh veggies. How did you get yours so low? Mine is 300 just for the cheese!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I make tortilla pizzas at home with a whole wheat tortilla shell or flat out wrap as crust, spaghetti sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings I have in the fridge -- usually some combination of mushrooms, green peppers, onions, black olives, ham, pineapple and parmesan cheese. I actually think we're having those for dinner tomorrow.

There is also a Martha White pizza crust mix that is pretty low in calories, really easy to make, and makes a delicious thin crust pizza (but not as thin as a tortilla).

-Alison
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    hi I make my pizza on a multi grain pita, cut in half and make it round, can eat the whole thing with 2oz chicken, part skim mozzarella cheese, 3T classico tom and basil sauce, 1/4c green pepper, 1/2 small zucchini, 2 mushrooms. 372 calories for the whole thing, 29.5 gm protein, 8.2gm fat, 6gm fiber, 39 carbs. sautee veggies first, spray a pan put the pitas on, then sauce, then cheese, then veggies and top with chicken, it is so so yummy.:tongue:
  • ali258
    Options
    Also, if you don't mind overdosing on sodium, Red Baron makes a few pizzas that are in the high 300s and low 400s for either 1/4 or 1/5 of the pizza. It's pretty filling, and really hits the spot for a "real" pizza craving.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to make your own, you may want to check out the Red Baron FRENCH BREAD singles. The french bread crust has less fat that regular pizza crust. The sodium is somewhat high, but if you take it easy on other things that day, it is doable. They have a Canadian Bacon and Pineapple, and Garlic Chicken with while sauce and a Supreme. They aren't available in every store, but Walmart carries them. They are all in the food data base, so you can see the calories, etc. for yourself.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I got a thin crust pizza, with lots of fresh veggies. How did you get yours so low? Mine is 300 just for the cheese!

I measured things out very carefully - I used one packet of sauce (the boboli sauce is pre-measured in packets) and I only used 1 cup of cheese for the whole pizza. Oh, and the cheese was part skim (not sure if all mozzarella is...) That's about 1/4 cup for each quarter of the pizza. I used 2 oz. of turkey for the whole pizza - so only 1/2 oz. for each quarter.

It's definitely more "sparse" than a pizza-chain pizza, but it was very good and satisfying.

Here is the nutrition info for 1/2 the pizza (so divide by 2 to see what a quarter of the pizza would be)

Jennie-O - Ground Turkey - Lean - 93/7, 2 oz 85 cal
    Boboli - Whole Wheat Thin Crust, 0.5 shell 359 cal
    Boboli - Pizza Sauce, 0.5 Pouch (71g/1/4Cup) 50 cal
    Kroger - Mozzarella - Shredded - Low Moisture Part Skim, 1/2 cup 160 cal

Total calories = 654
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I'll try using only 1 cup of cheese for the whole pizza. I saw that Tillamook has a pretty healthy/low cal cheese mix, but I haven't been able to find it at any of the 3 stores I've shopped at.

You guys make me feel kinda sheepish. Why haven't you posted all of your awesome pizza recipes? They sound great!

Thanks for volunteering yours, accountant_boi
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat crust, (Walden Farms) tomato sauce, 1 container/2 cups of (HOOD) non fat or low fat cottage cheese.
  • ali258
    Options
    Whole wheat crust, (Walden Farms) tomato sauce, 1 container/2 cups of (HOOD) non fat or low fat cottage cheese.

Does the cottage cheese melt? I used to make pizzas with ricotta when I worked at a pizza place, and it's so creamy and delicious. I imagine the cottage cheese is similar?
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Does the cottage cheese melt? I used to make pizzas with ricotta when I worked at a pizza place, and it's so creamy and delicious. I imagine the cottage cheese is similar?

I have never used ricotta ali..But I am familiar with it obviously and from your description it sounds exactly the same when used as cheese for a pizza. The cc bakes up perfectly and is sooo delicious once it is done. I also make omlets or scramble up some eggs with some cottage cheese. It is delicious cheesy goodness.:happy:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you're really ambitious, you can make your own crust. This recipe is from another post.....I've made it and it made a huge pizza for my husband and I. Unfortunately I can't remember the calorie count, but I remember it was incredibly low - especially for pizza crust. And it was DELICIOUS!!!! Just takes some time, but it's totally worth it and then you know exactly what's going into your pizza:

1 1/4 cup water
    1 packet of yeast
    1 tsp sugar (or sucanet or honey or agave)
    random herbs (optional)
    3/4 tsp salt (or garlic salt)
    aprox 3 1/8 cups whole wheat flour (but the exact amount will vary)

1. Let the tap water heat up, and then pour 1 1/4 cup war,/hot water into a large bowl. To this, add the packet of yeast and the sweetener (yeast will need a little of the sweetener to really get going). Cover with a hand towel and let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add in 1 cup whole wheat flour, the salt, and if wanted, another tsp of sweetener, as well as any herbs you want to toss in (the specifics vary for me depending on what I have on hand and what I feel like). Gently mix this up and then cover with towel for 30 minutes.

3. Little by little, stir in the flour until a spoon won't stir it - then turn out on a floured surface and slowly add more flour in, kneading as you go. The goal is to get a soft, pliable dough that does not stick. I kept track of the amount of flour I used last time I made this (so as to calculate the calories), and counting the 1 cup of starter flour, it shouldn't be much more than 3 cups total used.

4. When done kneading (about 10 minutes or so), divide dough into two sections... roll gently to elongate them a little (but do not pull to do so). Place two small dough loaves into greased loaf pans (or can place both on a greased cookie sheet for a more unformed look). Cover with a towel and let rise 45 minutes.

5. While bread is rising, pre-heat oven to 375 F. At the end of 45 minute rising, pop both loaves into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

This recipe is for 2 small loaves of bread, but, like I said, I made one large pizza crust.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Thanks for that dough recipe, Sara!

We made our pizza, and piled it 6" high with veggies and yummy things! 1/2 the pizza was less than 700 cals. I didn't realize the package came with 2 crusts, so we made a 2nd one for lunch tomorrow. Can't wait!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I've used mini bagels, english muffins, naan bread as crust and then ragu pizza sauce with alot of veggies.. I had one on naan bread the other night the naan bread becomes like a thin slightly crispy crust...mmmm
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i actually hunted for a dough mix for wheat crust and got annoyed so i actually made the crust and separated the dough ball into two crusts...yes just about sauce on a cracker but less dough is better as far as diets go. bought fat free cheese and just random veggies which included cremini mushies, artichoke hearts, frozen spinach, fresh garlic, fresh tomatoes of course olive oil. and sprinkled just a touch of that fat free cheese on it. a whole bag did both pizzas. it turned out to be freaking amazing and it was shokingly low fat and diet friendly and of course econmical because it did make two pizzas loaded with filling toppings
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you're really ambitious, you can make your own crust. This recipe is from another post.....I've made it and it made a huge pizza for my husband and I. Unfortunately I can't remember the calorie count, but I remember it was incredibly low - especially for pizza crust. And it was DELICIOUS!!!! Just takes some time, but it's totally worth it and then you know exactly what's going into your pizza:

1 1/4 cup water
    1 packet of yeast
    1 tsp sugar (or sucanet or honey or agave)
    random herbs (optional)
    3/4 tsp salt (or garlic salt)
    aprox 3 1/8 cups whole wheat flour (but the exact amount will vary)

1. Let the tap water heat up, and then pour 1 1/4 cup war,/hot water into a large bowl. To this, add the packet of yeast and the sweetener (yeast will need a little of the sweetener to really get going). Cover with a hand towel and let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add in 1 cup whole wheat flour, the salt, and if wanted, another tsp of sweetener, as well as any herbs you want to toss in (the specifics vary for me depending on what I have on hand and what I feel like). Gently mix this up and then cover with towel for 30 minutes.

3. Little by little, stir in the flour until a spoon won't stir it - then turn out on a floured surface and slowly add more flour in, kneading as you go. The goal is to get a soft, pliable dough that does not stick. I kept track of the amount of flour I used last time I made this (so as to calculate the calories), and counting the 1 cup of starter flour, it shouldn't be much more than 3 cups total used.

4. When done kneading (about 10 minutes or so), divide dough into two sections... roll gently to elongate them a little (but do not pull to do so). Place two small dough loaves into greased loaf pans (or can place both on a greased cookie sheet for a more unformed look). Cover with a towel and let rise 45 minutes.

5. While bread is rising, pre-heat oven to 375 F. At the end of 45 minute rising, pop both loaves into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

This recipe is for 2 small loaves of bread, but, like I said, I made one large pizza crust.
    THANKS!!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to make your own, you may want to check out the Red Baron FRENCH BREAD singles. The french bread crust has less fat that regular pizza crust. The sodium is somewhat high, but if you take it easy on other things that day, it is doable. They have a Canadian Bacon and Pineapple, and Garlic Chicken with while sauce and a Supreme. They aren't available in every store, but Walmart carries them. They are all in the food data base, so you can see the calories, etc. for yourself.

I had the Supreme for lunch today! was actually delicious and I had a spinach salad with dijon sauce for a total of 375 cals! very filling
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

this sounds good, never heard of these brand of food where do u get them?

I've been wanting to try cottage cheese but been afraid to cuz I heard its not very good.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese, but my daughter likes it with berries and a little oj mixed in :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

this sounds good, never heard of these brand of food where do u get them?

I've been wanting to try cottage cheese but been afraid to cuz I heard its not very good.

You should give it a try - I looooooove cottage cheese. I usually just add a little black pepper. If you buy the low or non-fat kind, it's a great source of protein!