increased activity = exhaustion- advice?

So... I've been on this journey for 5 months. Doing fairly well. I've been working with a trainer 3x a week - mostly strength training. I have intermittently been incorporating cardio, and have been trying to start running - i'm still very heavy so need to ease into it. That said, when I push myself on the treadmill, running for short bursts, i inevitably find myself getting physically wiped out.

Pretty sure it's cause I'm out of shape, but I worked with the trainer last night, then went to the Y to put in about 30 minutes on the treadmill with some (not all of it for sure) running. I going to be in a 5K in 2 weeks, and know that I'll be walking most of it, but got away from this for the last month (had been up to running 1 mile in 15 minutes).

I'm back to where I was when I was running in terms of exhaustion for the day after. I sit in my chair avoiding falling asleep most of the day, and it reminds me of my totally sedentary lifestyle 5 months ago. Except I'm not sedentary anymore. I only get like this when I am worn out. and running absolutely wears me out. Even if it's only 10 minutes. Walking at a good clip (3.5 mph) on the treadmill for the balance of the time, and I'm useless the next day.

tell me it gets better? Or am I just old and just have to deal with it? (43). darn it!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It gets better. It just takes time. Also, make sure you are getting enough sleep at night; 7+ hours.

You're not too old either. I'm 10 years older and run twice every day. I don't fall asleep during the day but I do sleep well at night.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    It gets better.
    When it gets better, you'll add more exercise and you'll be tired again.
    That's growth and accomplishment.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    I would be exhausted on 1300 calories when i was working out as well. Try upping your calorie intake, especially on days you work out and see if that helps. Start at 1500 and go up from there if needed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Like Scott said it gets better, your body becomes more efficient; things that leave you wiped out today will soon just leave you pleasantly tired. I'm 56, I don't run anywhere near the distances Scott does but I run 4 x per week (avg 40km/week) plus biking, weights , swimming etc - be patient with yourself. I did notice, looking over you diary for a few days, that you're coming in under on your carbs.....you may want yo bump them a little, that may also help a bit with the energy levels.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Like Scott said it gets better, your body becomes more efficient; things that leave you wiped out today will soon just leave you pleasantly tired. I'm 56, I don't run anywhere near the distances Scott does but I run 4 x per week (avg 40km/week) plus biking, weights , swimming etc - be patient with yourself. I did notice, looking over you diary for a few days, that you're coming in under on your carbs.....you may want yo bump them a little, that may also help a bit with the energy levels.

I am notorious for that - and it's not even from trying which is funny. I just eat more veggies and fruits and less breads and junk, and it just happens this way. I think you are right, but I forget about this piece.

also - I am considering upping my calories, but that's frustrating because I'm at a bit of a stall weight loss wise soo.. oy..

thank you for all of the helpful replies!!!
  • first, Congrats on running, that is hard work!!! i started running 6 months ago, and i can go 3 miles straight and up to 6 with intervals... so don't give up!!!!! so tired to function??? you probably need to eat more! i would suggest running every other day, try interval training, like you were doing on the tredmill, but hit the pavement, with the fresh air and cool morning temps, you will enjoy it so much more. ....ck your vitamins .... how is your protein intake?? i remember being really tired, but then increased my protein and my body felt better, most of all you need to give your body some rest, to recover!! good luck... add me if you need support!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

At a stall in your weight loss - pushing hard and wiped out by your workouts - still rather heavy - but calorie target is set at 1200 - dieting for 5 months

You are over training and under feeding. Listen to your body its saying FEED ME!

Check out the link and see where you calorie target should be - remember you need to eat more than you BMR and about 20% less than you TDEE. If you do you will feel much better - with more energy - and still loose weight.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    So... I've been on this journey for 5 months. Doing fairly well. I've been working with a trainer 3x a week - mostly strength training. I have intermittently been incorporating cardio, and have been trying to start running - i'm still very heavy so need to ease into it. That said, when I push myself on the treadmill, running for short bursts, i inevitably find myself getting physically wiped out.

Pretty sure it's cause I'm out of shape, but I worked with the trainer last night, then went to the Y to put in about 30 minutes on the treadmill with some (not all of it for sure) running. I going to be in a 5K in 2 weeks, and know that I'll be walking most of it, but got away from this for the last month (had been up to running 1 mile in 15 minutes).

I'm back to where I was when I was running in terms of exhaustion for the day after. I sit in my chair avoiding falling asleep most of the day, and it reminds me of my totally sedentary lifestyle 5 months ago. Except I'm not sedentary anymore. I only get like this when I am worn out. and running absolutely wears me out. Even if it's only 10 minutes. Walking at a good clip (3.5 mph) on the treadmill for the balance of the time, and I'm useless the next day.

tell me it gets better? Or am I just old and just have to deal with it? (43). darn it!

I think that you should try adding 100 cal. I generally think your body can be trusted to tell you what it needs, and if you are getting enough sleep and tired, it could be a lack of food or water
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

At a stall in your weight loss - pushing hard and wiped out by your workouts - still rather heavy - but calorie target is set at 1200 - dieting for 5 months

You are over training and under feeding. Listen to your body its saying FEED ME!

Check out the link and see where you calorie target should be - remember you need to eat more than you BMR and about 20% less than you TDEE. If you do you will feel much better - with more energy - and still loose weight.

I actually set it at 1200 - mainly because I was trying to figure out the synch between my fitbit and mfp and get them to mesh right ( i never have figured it out) even though it's set there, my real goal is about 1500 daily, and a high day or 2 through the week, so that my average works out to be around 1700. It's been a bit nuts though - I had a bad weekend last weekend - and wasn't feeling well, and ended up eating WAY high on thursday and friday of that week. (not this week).

I have done my calculations - not in the past couple of weeks - but - if I remember correctly - right around 1700-1900 puts me at 20%, so some days I may hit closer to 30% but not all.. :( oy.

I did NOT do a high day this week - as the scale stuck on me, and i thought i'd skip the high day this week to see if would help... I probably won't see it in the morning as I have eaten enough veggies today to probably show a 5 lb gain (LOL) I really filled up on the veggies and fruit today. sigh. Thank you. Assuming it's not underfeeding (which, I don't THINK if my average is around 1700 that would be the case?) i am just horribly unfit I guess. even after 5 months of strength training and losing almost 45 lbs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Have you increased your calories along with all this increased activity? It sounds to me like you're under eating. At least, those are the symptoms I get when I need to up my intake.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    I actually set it at 1200 - mainly because I was trying to figure out the synch between my fitbit and mfp and get them to mesh right ( i never have figured it out) even though it's set there, my real goal is about 1500 daily, and a high day or 2 through the week, so that my average works out to be around 1700. It's been a bit nuts though - I had a bad weekend last weekend - and wasn't feeling well, and ended up eating WAY high on thursday and friday of that week. (not this week).

I have done my calculations - not in the past couple of weeks - but - if I remember correctly - right around 1700-1900 puts me at 20%, so some days I may hit closer to 30% but not all.. :( oy.

I did NOT do a high day this week - as the scale stuck on me, and i thought i'd skip the high day this week to see if would help... I probably won't see it in the morning as I have eaten enough veggies today to probably show a 5 lb gain (LOL) I really filled up on the veggies and fruit today. sigh. Thank you. Assuming it's not underfeeding (which, I don't THINK if my average is around 1700 that would be the case?) i am just horribly unfit I guess. even after 5 months of strength training and losing almost 45 lbs.
    [/quote]

Be happy to check your calculations - things do change with time- your activity level should probably be moderate - PM me with your stats if you want. Will need height, weight, age and BF%