I Think I Need Help or an Evaluation

Options

Replies

• Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    try this - it will help you figure out a very healthy daily calorie intake

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

it doesnt always make sense that you have to eat more to lose weight but it does work

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough food! Its extremely unhealthy and whatever you lose you will gain back. It has to be a lifetime change, not something silly as 500 calories. You really have to ask why your hair fell out!!!
    I suggest you see a nutritionist. Sorry if I sound sharp, but I read posts like this and just cant believe it. MFP will not give you lower than 1200.
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    OK...

Your suggestions are very much appreciated... REALLY...

I have now readjusted the Cals to the MFP settings of 1200cpd
    I will start to eat at that level from now on.
    It has only been in the last week since I Ate this low.

I will be increasing my exercise level also
    And will increase my water cunsumption too.

Someone mentioned something about eating more fat, the good fat.
    Still a little unsure what that is all about, but I will try and figure that out.

The dizziness and hair loss thing happened to me 6-7 months ago.
    I feel great now.
    I have long curly thick hair. It was half way down my back before, but because of what happend 6 months ago, I had to cut about a foot off due to split ends and such.
    It is still way past my shoulders even now.
    No receding hair line.
    No male pattern baldness of any kind.
    But my hair has been getting better, longer and thicker over the last few months.

Don't forget... I'm over 60 Years Old
    And I haven't even caught a simple cold or flue since I was in my late 20s

Is there anything else...?
    Did I miss something...?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you need some ideas about what to eat to sustain a good balance. I eat a lot of protein and high fiber, and although I've only lost 7 pounds, I have managed to go down 2 dress sizes this summer. I will check my bodyfat % sometime in the next 2 weeks and am willing to bet I got it down a 3-4 percentage points. I started at 27%.

Try putting your information into MFP, and see what the site recommends for your daily calorie consumption. Eating less than 1200 kcal a day for an extended period of time will do brain damage. Forget about the losing muscle and liver function. Your brain needs the calories.
  • You do need help ... professional help. You have only eaten 2,593 calories in the past 7 days. One day you ate 20 calories total for the day! You are averaging 370 calories a day. That is starvation pure and simple and very, very, very unhealthy.

You say you are a 5'11" 60-year-old male. You take Centrum Ultra Women's multivitamins. You say your goal at 5'11" is to weigh 145 to 150 pounds. Why such a low goal weight?

Please make an appointment with your physician. You need professional help and nutritional advice. Before starting an exercise regimen, you need a complete physical if you have lost the previous 70 pounds dieting this way. Good luck!
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    I just did a calculation on all my stats and here are the results...

BASED ON...
    Weight - 172
    Waist - 34
    Wrist - 7
    Forearm - 11

BODY FAT
    18.9%
    This is in the Acceptable Range
    (17% begins the Athletes Range)

BODY MASS
    This is in the Normal Range

BASAL METABOLIC RATE (BMR)
    1631.26 X 1.2 (Activity Level) = 1,957.512

WAIST to HIP RATIO
    0.92 - Very Low Risk Level

Not sure what this all means but there it is for what its worth.

PS... The last poster asked about why I was taking womens vitamins
    They seem to have more iron in them and they were on sale at the time.
  • SailorStevens
    Options

BASED ON...
    Weight - 172
    Waist - 34
    Wrist - 7
    Forearm - 11

BODY FAT
    18.9%

BODY MASS

WAIST to HIP RATIO

Does any of this help you to *kitten* where I stand...?
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    You say your goal at 5'11" is to weigh 145 to 150 pounds. Why such a low goal weight?

Why I chose 145 - 150 was that the BMI chart stated that the normal range for my height is between 135 - 170
    So I just picked a spot close to the center.
    It seems low to me, but unless I read the chart wrong, that's the range.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It means you need to eat *AT LEAST* 1900 calories a day. You're a grown man. 1200 cpd is for a tiny, tiny, tiny woman. I'm 5'0" and 25-years-old with small/medium bone structure and I can't even survive off of 1200 cpd!

Please be sensible and eat what a grown man should eat 1900 cpd at LEAST. Nothing less.

Your NET number should be 1900 or more.

You really should see a doctor if you've been eating so low for forever. it doesn't matter if you haven't had a cold or flu -- if you haven't eaten well for a while, then your body is in serious need of help!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

If I wasn't ex-military, I'd think you just called us all "*kitten*"...but I'm sure you meant "assess". That being said, I still agree with others that you should run it by a doc, just to be on the safe side. I understand, mostly, what you're aiming for and encourage you to read the links that were provided by others, to help you figure out MFPs numbers and what they mean.

As far as I know, none of us are docs, so we can't make concrete advisements.

I *do* wish you the best in figuring everything out and *do hope* you visit a doctor before starting any hard-core regimens.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

BASED ON...
    Weight - 172
    Waist - 34
    Wrist - 7
    Forearm - 11

BODY FAT
    18.9%

BODY MASS

WAIST to HIP RATIO

What this says is that you do NOT need to loss any weight!

You should be eating over 2000 calories minimum if you do nothing but lay in bed all day. If you are moderately active you should be eating close to 2500 calories. If you want to improve you body shape you need to start a strength training program rather than dieting. Check out starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 or any of the new rules of lifting books.
  • SailorStevens
    Options

If I wasn't ex-military, I'd think you just called us all "*kitten*"...but I'm sure you meant "assess". That being said, I still agree with others that you should run it by a doc, just to be on the safe side. I understand, mostly, what you're aiming for and encourage you to read the links that were provided by others, to help you figure out MFPs numbers and what they mean.

As far as I know, none of us are docs, so we can't make concrete advisements.

I *do* wish you the best in figuring everything out and *do hope* you visit a doctor before starting any hard-core regimens.

First... You are right about *kitten* and assess...
    I'm coming to you via an iPad with a virtual keyboard and no spell checker
    Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt

Like I have stated previously, it has only been this week, here at MFP, that my cal level has been at 500
    I have already changed it to the MFP setting of 1200
    Given this evaluation and the info of my stats, I will increase it further.

I did see the Doc after I had that dizzyness and hair loss 6 months ago and he put me through the dishwasher, including complete physical, heart monitor, stress test on a tread mill, multiple blood work and a CT Scan...

He said I was in great shape. In fact he said that any man in his 20s would love to be in my shape.
    The only suggestion he made was that I was not drinking enough fluids and and that I should hit the water bottle alot more. 8 glasses he said a day.

I have not done any exercise this week since I started MFP, but I love walking and I can walk 20 miles at a streach, and thats not sightseeing along the way, i'm moving at a good clip. I do a fair amount of Kayaking, Scuba, tons of yard work.

But I will see the Doc again, after this, I promise.

I think the last poster said something about me just getting into better physical shape and forget about the weight loss.
    That may be what I need.
    Almost all the recomendations offered have been great.
    And I intend to follow up on them all, starting with a trip to the Docs again.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Good to know you are out there...
  • Maybe this will help you to understand weight goals for us seniors. You need to speak with a doctor so he/she can evaluate if you need to lose weight at all. The doctor will know your medical history. Internet BMI charts are very general guidelines and not 100% applicable for seniors. Do you have a small frame or large frame? What is your muscle mass? The doctor will definitely tell you to eat more bottom line. Averaging 370 calories a day is dangerous. Continue to do so and you won't have to worry about if you do or do not have colds, you will have to worry about death. When you diet until your hair falls out and you are dizzy ... that is a PROBLEM. I don't know how you possibly can feel "great" now on 370 calories a day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/305703-the-ideal-weight-for-older-people/

This is the reason I asked why you are taking women's multivitamins:

Iron Toxicity

Women's vitamins often contain iron in higher levels than those recommended for men, because premenopausal women have greater iron needs. These higher iron levels may cause iron overload or iron toxicity in men, with symptoms including diarrhea, vomiting, high blood sugar, fever, seizures, lethargy, coma, low blood pressure, kidney, heart or liver damage. This is especially true if they are taken over an extended period of time.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/533511-are-womens-vitamins-dangerous-to-men/#ixzz25H0F89Wx
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    Maybe this will help you to understand weight goals for us seniors. You need to speak with a doctor so he/she can evaluate if you need to lose weight at all. The doctor will know your medical history. Internet BMI charts are very general guidelines and not 100% applicable for seniors. Do you have a small frame or large frame? What is your muscle mass? The doctor will definitely tell you to eat more bottom line. Averaging 370 calories a day is dangerous. Continue to do so and you won't have to worry about if you do or do not have colds, you will have to worry about death. When you diet until your hair falls out and you are dizzy ... that is a PROBLEM. I don't know how you possibly can feel "great" now on 370 calories a day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/305703-the-ideal-weight-for-older-people/

This is the reason I asked why you are taking women's multivitamins:

Iron Toxicity

Women's vitamins often contain iron in higher levels than those recommended for men, because premenopausal women have greater iron needs. These higher iron levels may cause iron overload or iron toxicity in men, with symptoms including diarrhea, vomiting, high blood sugar, fever, seizures, lethargy, coma, low blood pressure, kidney, heart or liver damage. This is especially true if they are taken over an extended period of time.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/533511-are-womens-vitamins-dangerous-to-men/#ixzz25H0F89Wx

Great read....
    They even say that having a few extra pounds when you older decreases your overall risk in seniors and that traditional BMI calculators do not give a senior a true reflection of their state.

As for the womens vitamins... I just tossed them after that.
    They were on sale so I figured, what the hell.

I find all this simply amazing...
    So much to know about
    I feel like an idiot.

PS... I do feel good, honestly
    Maybe its those black beens and those protien bars,
    Never ate them before coming to MFP.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    A MUST...
    Keep your Fat consumption below 15%
    Keep your Carbs below 40%
    Keep your Protein above 35%

um. no.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have already changed it to the MFP setting of 1200

1200 is the setting for women. You are not a woman. The minimum a man needs to eat is 1500 based on your stats this is still to small for you. I'm a 5'6 woen rating 1690 and still losing weight.
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is way too weird!
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    A MUST...
    Keep your Fat consumption below 15%
    Keep your Carbs below 40%
    Keep your Protein above 35%

um. no.

Hey...
    I just got here a few days ago and I'm trying to learn about all this stuff.
    Most of what I was doing this week didn't make any sense to me either, that's why I started this topic and asked for help in determining if what I was doing was right or not.

It obviously has not been right and I am more than willing to make whatever changes are required.

"...um. no..." doesn't realy do it for me.
    If it's "...um. no..." then what should it be.

I'm willing to listen...
    I'm willing to take advice...
    Could you please offer more than just "...um. no..."
    It would realy be helpful

Thanks...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Could you please offer more than just "...um. no..."

The obvious point is that the % stated don't add up to 100% :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

He said I was in great shape. In fact he said that any man in his 20s would love to be in my shape.
    The only suggestion he made was that I was not drinking enough fluids and and that I should hit the water bottle alot more. 8 glasses he said a day.

The doctor said this, so you come on a weighloss site and starve yourself.... That I don't understand!?