After Gallbladder removal.......

Options
2»

Replies

• jholmden
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out at least 10 years ago and I have found no difference than before it was sick.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    I ate the same things as I did before. I would have to run to the bathroom right after eating something bad for me though. Now that I am eating better and sometimes still have a few things not so good, but I don't have bathroom problems.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 5 years ago. I did have problems with Diarrhea for several months after. I did not notice any specific foods causing it. Thankfully that went away with time. My hearburn improved which was nice.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out 31 years ago. No diet changes for me at all! No diarrhea or having to watch what I ate. Best thing ever! Gall bladder attacks hurt worse then labor and there's no sweet baby afterward! Good luck with your surgery!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had mine out almost a year and a half ago. It took about 6 months before I could eat normally again. Just eat normally and see what triggers any bowel problems. Mine was gravy, popcorn with butter, and any form of sausage. Besides that, I was fine. Now I can eat those things again with no problem.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When they did the surgery, they tried to do the scope but ended up having to cut me because it was so bad. But that was twenty years ago!! Even with the huge incision, I was thrilled. The pain from the incision was something I could understand and knew would heal. The pain from the gallbladded was so much worse!

Same thing happened to me! Only they said it was because my bile ducts were too small for them to see clearly with the scope method, so I have 5 tiny scars from them trying the scope and one larger scar where they removed it the traditional way. Like you, mine was nearly 20 years ago (17 actually).

Ever since I had mine removed, I've had loose stools more days than not and in 17 years I haven't been able to pin it to any particular foods. It's not diarrhea, just not solid either. Although as others have mentioned, too much grease can be a whole other story! If I were to eat something like McDonald's, I'd know I'd be needing the bathroom within about 15 minutes!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Greasy foods don't work well. Things like Alfredo sauce or any kind of butter or cream sauce cause cramps and diarrhea- very quickly. I had mine out about 11 years ago, and it hasn't improved, but that's OK. I don't need to eat those foods. I've known people who have said they were able to train their bodies to accept those foods again, but I don't think that training sounds very fun!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the unlucky few (I think my doc had said it was only 3% of people) that has chronic diarrhea, also known as "dumping syndrome" No matter what I eat, it goes right through. In the last 3 years it got worse and worse and worse, until it was after everything I ate. My doc put me on "binding" medication which helps immensly.

But my dad also had his out and can eat whtaever he wants, no issues at all. It depends 100% on the person.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Had mine removed in December 2011. I went into critical emergency surgery cause it burst inside me and I was poisoning myself.
    (NOT FUN!) Anyway, took me around two months and I started martial arts again (with light contact etc).... I never changed much what I ate...My doctor said not to do so.... But not to act like an idiot. I didn't get sick yet...

The only two big big changes I've seen is...

1- I drink so much water it's crazy.... I can drink a 1.5l of water so so fast... It's probably to help my system diggest etc... I wasn't like this before my surgery...

2- When I'm working my abs...I feel weird.... Feels like my inner scars are pulled or something?...any idea?
  • losecandy
    losecandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last month. I ate Progresso soup with beef or chicken and with either brown rice or barley. I drank diet ginger ale and a lot of water. I can't eat foods high in fat. I just tried brocolli today. I'll give cabbage family foods more time. I can't eat white pasta. I spoke to my dr. And was told I can resume normal eating habits. Dairy may give you problems. according to a web search don't eat: spicy, fried, white sugar/flour, baked beans, creamy sauces or soups, chocolate,pastries, lard type products, oils and gravies. It also suggested eating 6 small meals instead of the large meals. Avoid caffeine as it can hinder digestion. High fiber and gas pproducing foods be introduced to the diet slowly: whole grain breads, nuts, seeds, legumes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

I had my surgery done laproscopically with 6 holes. Normally the holes can be between 4 and 7 incisions. When I was sent home, they didn't give me any dietary instructions.
    I had problems getting enough oxygen and the little sacs in the lungs collapsed. Breathing is hard.
    Its been about 17 days since the surgery.

I trust your surgery goes well.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last month. I ate Progresso soup with beef or chicken and with either brown rice or barley. I drank diet ginger ale and a lot of water. I can't eat foods high in fat. I just tried brocolli today. I'll give cabbage family foods more time. I can't eat white pasta. I spoke to my dr. And was told I can resume normal eating habits. Dairy may give you problems. according to a web search don't eat: spicy, fried, white sugar/flour, baked beans, creamy sauces or soups, chocolate,pastries, lard type products, oils and gravies. It also suggested eating 6 small meals instead of the large meals. Avoid caffeine as it can hinder digestion. High fiber and gas pproducing foods be introduced to the diet slowly: whole grain breads, nuts, seeds, legumes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

I had my surgery done laproscopically with 6 holes. Normally the holes can be between 4 and 7 incisions. When I was sent home, they didn't give me any dietary instructions.
    I had problems getting enough oxygen and the little sacs in the lungs collapsed. Breathing is hard.
    Its been about 17 days since the surgery.

I trust your surgery goes well.

Don't be too scared to eat.... My doctor told me to eat like I used too and not freak out about internet advice. It's true! I ate cake,chocolate etc.... Never got sick!.......... Just don't eat too much and too much fat but..... some won't kill you. Your system needs to fight it a little bit...if not it will take longer to be back to normal.

Anyway, You can do whatever you want. I'm just saying that it's been 9 months for me and never got sick.
    I eat spicy,fat and all and all..... I have a hard time with Whip cream I must say.... If I take too much it's not good but that's all!

I'm not a doctor and not telling anyone to go crazy and hurt themselves.... Just don't be too scared to eat fatty sometime. you won't die and probably won't get sick. Just drink lots of water to help drain your system.

Take care
  • LexiLuu117
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago in January, I was 15 and turned 16 a week after the surgery. The first few months anything super fatty would send me running to the bathroom, but now nothing bothers me, besides raw bananas. Does anyone else have that issue? I get extremely sick and now I avoid them at all costs.