Beef Stroganoff

Options
I happen to absolutely LOVE beef stroganoff does anyone have any low-cal recipes for it?

Replies

• Fluffykristi
    Options
    Take your standard receipe for it and substitute Chobani PLAIN non-fat greek yogurt for the sour cream. I promise you will not know the difference! :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Really? Because I don't really like greek yogurt. I think you just have to get used to the taste. BUT I will try it. And I may sub wheat noodles for the normal white ones to see if that helps any.
  • Fluffykristi
    Options
    I do have to say the skinny taste receipe is a tomato-y based receipe. It's not bad, but not quite the same.

Plain greek yogurt, because of the tang, is a great sour cream sub. My husband is a sour cream fanatic and hates greek yogurt like you -- I've converted him as well.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ok so not beef stroganoff, but I do have a recipe for chicken stroganoff.

Chicken Stroganoff

1 lb chicken breast - boneless/skinless
    1 packet dry onion soup mix
    1 can cream mushroom soup (fat free)
    1 16 oz container sour cream (fat free)

Mix onion soup, mushroom soup & sour cream together in bowl. Pour into crockpot. Submerge the chicken into the mixture. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

I put into recipe builder and came up with this (serving 6)
    167 cals / 17 carbs / 4g fat / 22g protein / 6g sugar

Courtesy of a fellow MFP person. You could easily sub in beef. Personally, what I did was cut out the onion soup mix because it adds a crap load of sodium which I don't need. Add in 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (98% fat free) and 1 container of FF sour cream and doctor it up a bit with some spices.

*note : serve over egg noodles
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I ended up with Paula Deen's version tonight. I agree with the tomato based thing. This one could use some doctoring but it calls for less cream of mushroom. I only used one can. I used less butter. I didn't use much flour. I used a bullion based broth (not the cube kind). I only had 1/2 the sour cream. I was planning to put Greek yogurt but I didn't have plain. I cut the beef into smaller pieces.
  • lesleypajles
    Options
    LOW-CAL BEEF STROGANOFF
    1 1/2 lbs. beef tenderloin
    1 lb. fresh mushrooms
    1/4 c. reg. all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. butter
    3/4 c. minced onions
    1 (10 1/2 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1/2 c. water
    1 (12 oz.) pkg. narrow noodles
    1/2 c. commercial sour cream
    1/4 c. snipped chives

Early on day:

1. Trim any excess fat from tenderloin; cut meat, against grain, into strips about 1 - 2 x 1/4 inch; cover tightly, refrigerate.

2. Wash and trim mushrooms; then slice; wrap tightly in foil or saran; refrigerate.

About 40 minutes before serving:

1. In medium bowl combine flour, pepper and salt. Add meat; toss lightly until strips are evenly coated with flour mixture.

2. In very large skillet melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter; in it saute half of meat strips until well browned. Remove meat from skillet. Add garlic, onions, remaining butter and meat. Saute until meat is brown.

3. Add first half of meat, soup, water and mushrooms to skillet. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. With spatula scrape brown bits from bottom of skillet to mix with gravy. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally 20 minutes or until meat is completely cooked and tender. Turn off heat.

4. Meanwhile, in boiling salted water, cook noodles as package label directs; drain; keep warm. Just before serving: Stir sour cream into meat mixture; garnish with chives. Serve with noodles. Makes 8 servings.
  • jrig9463
    Options
    Just cook it up. Eat two mouthfuls. Then give the rest to your husband. You'll lose weight and keep him happy !!
  • jrig9463
    Options
    butter, sour cream and noodles. so much for low cal.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    My hubby is my boyfriend (he refuses to propose until he's finished with his degree -__-) and most foods make him happy lol but not crockpot foods which are my favorite.

I shall try some of these, thanks guys.
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This really isn't "beef stroganoff" but I find it satisfies the craving and isn't too bad.

Hormel beef tips and gravy
    Crimini Mushrooms
    Egg Noodles

Put them all together and its delicious. You could throw some sour cream or creme fraiche in there if you really wanted it to be closer to stroganoff.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Really? Because I don't really like greek yogurt. I think you just have to get used to the taste. BUT I will try it. And I may sub wheat noodles for the normal white ones to see if that helps any.
    Try another greek yogurt if you don't like that brand. I find some brands of greek to be very sour while the Fage brand is really creamy and not sour at all. By the time you mix it into the other ingredients, you will not know the difference.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options