Potassium Rich Foods?

Options
Hey guys! I need some ideas for foods rich in potassium but low in sugar/carbs. That means no fruit (for the most part) and no starches. I just read a post by Banks that said taking pills (I take potassium pills) isn't as good as eating a food rich in it. I just tend to cramp really easily and I get very sore and I KNOW its because of a potassium deficiency.

Any ideas readily accepted! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I googled and came up with this: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09355.html

scroll to the bottom and there's a chart with info on the foods and how much is in each.

Hope this helps.
  • firepixie
    Options
    Coconut water...but I am not sure about sugar content> Google it. :)
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I second coconut water. It naturally rehydrates the body with electrolytes after a tough workout, and it has more potassium than a banana. I use it as part of my recovery drink almost every day. In looking at the container now, I do see that it has 14g of sugar, but it is 100% natural.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately the coconut water sounds great, but I try to keep my sugar (natural or otherwise) between 8 - 15g/day. I'm insulin resistant, so my body doesn't respond well to sugar/carbs. :ohwell:

Jenks - I checked out that link. I eat lots of turkey, chicken, spinach etc. I'll up my intake (particularly of potassium rich veggies) to see if that helps. :flowerforyou: