Anyone have kids with ADHD or ODD?

Options
b00b0084
b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
My son was just diagnosed with ADHD and ODD and they are wanting me to put him on Ritalin and Concerta. I am nervous and have my reservation about putting my son on drugs such as those. Anyone here have similar childrens issues?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont have a kid with ADD but i have it. ritalin worked really well for me but i no longer use it.
    you can also try using caffeine instead of ritalin. that's pretty much what i do now. i also have a a bunch of habits that i've learned to help keep me organized. of course you'll have to work with him on that since those with ADD have trouble with that.

in addition to the caffeine, i've noticed that eating as cleanly as possible has helped as well
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my son has been on ritalin for several years. he only takes one dose in the morning and one dose at lunch. sometimes he does the extended release, which lasts until school gets out. i don't medicate him at home.
    the only issue is he doesn't sleep much, which is okay.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I have a child with autism and ADHD. Honestly, for us.. it was as simple as this...

If your child cannot function in school and home without being happy.. if the child is disruptive, if its something that bothered you enough to go to the doctor about it...

and you DONT put them on the medications.. then you arent giving your child the best life they can have.

Would you refuse a diabetic insulin? Its a disease, treat it.

Just my opinion, but my daughter was diagnosed when she was 5.. shes 15 now and there is NO way she could even consider college or hold a job without her medication.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi Doll. My son is ADHD and has been on Concerta for a few years. I like this medication because I only give it to him on school days. Some of the meds have to build up in the body to be effective. The only side effect my son has had is no appetite from 8a-3p. He makes up for that downfall having breakfast at home before school and a good dinner.

A really good site with lots of support and advice is additudemag.com
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I have ADHD myself and was on ritalin until 6th grade.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    clean eating helps a lot. here's an article that was linked to me

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20048725-10391704.html
  • Oretexan
    Options
    My 18 year old was diagnosed with ADD in 7th grade. Focalin made a huge difference in all of our lives. His self esteem soared when he no longer felt different because he couldn't focus. He was so much happier! He leaves to begin college at Stanford in a couple of weeks. I wholeheartedly believe in medications for ADD.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My son just started Kindergarten and hasn't been diagnosed with anything but his dad has ADHD and I am noticing a lot of the symptoms in him. Have you tried any other alternatives yet or did they just immediately want to do the drugs? I would personally try every other option that is possible before the drugs. Drugs make kids so drained and everyone is so over medicated now. It's ultimately up to you though and what you think is best for your son! :smile: Good luck!
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    :explode: I myself have ADD and I know how frustrating it could be I take Ritalin that should not be a problem I used take adderal to help with school so maybe try asking your doctor about adderal:smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My son is now 19 and still suffers from ADD & ODD. He was diagnosed at 7. He was on ritalin for most of the time, till we had a fight with his DR for NOT doing anything but handing over the meds. He went off it & went better. We gave him guarana.... he went better. It actually works the same was as ritalin :) Now he still has bad days but is completely drug free.

I am 37 & have always suffered from ADHD. :( even now it gets me daily. Different way though, makes me get into a habit that I can break in a day if I let it. That's why I exercise daily without a rest day, cause I will not get back to it.

Try the Guarana. It may help. It's a small buzz (like the meds are) and it helped not only son but me as well. You don't HAVE to have the medication the DR gives you. They don't tell you about all the other things. Diet DOES play a huge part in it. Just remember that the medication DOES affect growth, my son was small until he went off a few years ago...then shot up. Dr's do not always know best. My son is now at UNI & doing really well, all without medication. You don't have to give them something that has a natural safer alternative.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I have ADHD, my daughter had ADHD but outgrew it, and my son has ADHD. I'm on ritalin every day, so is my son. We wouldn't be able to function without it. I was nervous for the longest time about putting my son on it, because he has other problems besides the ADHD, but finally when he was miserable and not being able to function any more, I gave it a shot. It's a miracle! He's doing so much better! I agree with evilon 100%.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My grandson, whom I have adopted, is 12 years old. He has ADHD, and maybe ODD too. He has been on Concerta and Ritalin since he was 5. It has been a life saver for us! He does a much better job in school when he takes his medication and is a lot less disruptive.

I don't always have him take it in the summer and on weekends. If he is extra hyper, I do. I try to keep him away from sugar because it makes him twice as hyper.

He gets check-ups every three months and so far hasn't had any problems.

Good luck to you and I hope if you do use the medicine it works for your son.

Take care, Reesie
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 2 and they're talking adhd and ocd? I never knew they could tell that early, but I REFUSE to put her on medication at this age. There is no way.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I don't have a child but I do have ADD. My mother always thought I had ADHD growing up but she was told that I didn't by everyone she talked to. I wasn't put on medication until I started using other means to study. I was put on Concerta through my doctor and I can't even tell you the difference that I felt. For the first time, I was able to study without half a billion thoughts running through my head. I really wish I could have had the help growing up. I did just fine but I could have done tons better if I had help then. Unfortunately I'm not on meds now due to financial & insurance reasons but I wish I did since I'm starting grad school. Good luck with your kids and my advice to you would go with your gut instinct. You know better than anyone more often than not.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have a child with autism and ADHD. Honestly, for us.. it was as simple as this...

If your child cannot function in school and home without being happy.. if the child is disruptive, if its something that bothered you enough to go to the doctor about it...

and you DONT put them on the medications.. then you arent giving your child the best life they can have.

Would you refuse a diabetic insulin? Its a disease, treat it.

Just my opinion, but my daughter was diagnosed when she was 5.. shes 15 now and there is NO way she could even consider college or hold a job without her medication.

I agree with this! But my daughter is 2, and I won't have her on medication this early in life, No way. They're not even SURE if this is what it is, and I'm not going to give her meds based on complete guesses.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a child (never took meds). I have a phd and am relatively normal.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My son doesn't have ADD, but he has very high anxiety, OCD, sensory issues, learning disability. We put him on medication a couple years ago and things have been so much better. We got a lot of flack from friends and family about putting him on mediction, but I knew it was the best decision we made for him, he can now function like every other 13 year old.
    People will have opinions about putting children on meds, but unless they live through it, they have no clue. I fought for many years to get him help, one night he told me he wanted to kill himself then feel different, I took him to the ER and demanded help and that's where we met with an amazing child psychologist who told me all about the meds and how they help, the side effects and how they are NOT on them forever.
  • haleyyh3
    Options
    My youngest and my oldest have adhd. I never put my oldest on the meds, not real sure if that was a good idea.
    Now my youngest was just tested, sorry to say he is adhd as well. Trying to keep him off meds as long as possible.
    My oldest told me there are times she wishes I would of put her on the meds.... It is hard to deal with. This does help me some though because I was getting so upset when we would work so hard and then he make such bad grades. He also has a memory problem. At least now we know what is wrong and get him the help he needs....
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A coworker and his son that I knew a few years ago, as well as, one of my current coworkers all were diagnosed with ADHD. All three of them are unmedicated and all three learned to focus through music. The former coworker said that his son responded very well to trance style music (if you do not know, it is techno/electronica with lots of repetition) and the current coworker listens to all types of music. At work, the current one does not seem very focused, but she did do very well in school.

If you do not want to go the medication route, then you need something for them to focus on in the background.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Any and every parent would be hesitant about medicating their child. I even second guess Tylenol. It's only natural. We want our children to be happy and healthy. We want the best for them. And medication comes with the stigma that something is "wrong."

However, we can see from the few posts here how helpful the right medication can be.

Ask your doctor lots of questions, even if you're embarrassed because you "read it on the internet." It's okay! Investigate and do what is best for your child. Quality of life is so important! We want our kids to be successful in school and positively sociable :)