Confused about calories.

I lost a little over 50 pounds in a few months. I was eating about 1800 calories a day. I had surgery and wasn't allowed to eat certain foods or exercise for three months. Now I can. I went back to my doctor and dietician and they both said I should be eating 1000 calories a day.
I read the message boards about people saying when they follow the BMR, the more energy they get and the more pounds they loose. The BMR says I should eat 1739.
Since starting to eat less calories I definitely don't eat as much. But i havent lost any weight in about a month.
I'm just confused. Who is right?

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    I wouldn't follow the advice of anyone on here quite yet, as you've been directed by a doctor and dietician to eat a certain way and certain amount.

If you're uncomfortable or confused about not eating your BMR (because yes, typically we should always eat our BMR), you need to ask your physician first :smile:
  • I wouldn't follow the advice of anyone on here quite yet, as you've been directed by a doctor and dietician to eat a certain way and certain amount.

If you're uncomfortable or confused about not eating your BMR (because yes, typically we should always eat our BMR), you need to ask your physician first :smile:

I'm going to agree with her. Why would you trust random internet people over a Dr. and a dietician? Stick with their advice as they know your medical history.

Good luck.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    The only one who can know for sure is you. I would experiment and try eating an extra piece of fruit every day, maybe about 100 calories, for a week or two, and see if it affects you positively or negatively. If you like the extra 100 calories of fruit after a few weeks, try an extra 200. In my experience, the signals your body send you are more precise than the general recommendation of a busy doctor. I have nothing against doctors or dieticians, it simply isn't possible for them to be as precise as your own body signals.